What's new

An introduction to the Heljestrand No.24 and the Hellberg 42.

I found one of these yesterday at an antique store, a little surface rust but seems like an easy restore...can’t wait to sharpen and shave!

Here is my MK24 Thanks to a certain person

C.V. HELJESTRAND MK24 A.JPG
C.V. HELJESTRAND MK24 B.JPG

there are 4 on ebay at the moment 🙂 not bidding as I bought a NOS EDV. NEISTRÖM no57 to complement my CVH no 2 NOS
I lost several auctions haha, including one for an edv neistrom 57! ( a used one). It looks kinda like the heljestrand 24 on the pics or am i wrong?

will let you know when it arrives, it appears very similar IMHO, just bought my last purchase a seemingly good CVH MK no 6 for $50 which seems reasonable

Loving these Nō24 5/8s. I’ve believe the edges on these were all OEM. So far all but one has been a fantastic shave on the original edge, Not bad for looking like they sat in the roll for 50 years or so.

proxy.php
My first thought was: Why so many Heljestrand of the same grind and size? Then I recalled John 8:7 “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone”, so instead I do congratulate you to a set of very fine razors :innocent:.

Your age estimation should be correct. When I started this thread I didn't know that there was such a thing a a 5/8 No.24. Since then I've become the owner of one myself as a 3/8 too. According to the man I got them from, that had inherited the remaining stock of Heljestrand razors, the 5/8 and 3/8 No.24 razors were among the very last razors made by Heljestrand before the production stopped in 1978. The most used numbers for the Heljestrand 5/8 quarter hollow razors were 23, 41 and 923 (the "9" mostly were used on razors produced for use at military hospitals).

Once again congratulations to a very fine set of razors.:001_smile

Arne,

thanks, I actually have had these for a year picked up as a set.

i saw a version of the 24 that was definitely near wedge on auction yesterday. Mine are not similar in grind profile, mine are more hollow in each specimen.

Edit: updated photo. I feLt like my blades were my hollow and still feel like that but maybe not by much. Maybe its IRL

mine is left, online is on right.

6CD83297-EE68-496A-8368-102DEE20418B.jpeg

Last edited:
Arne,

thanks, I actually have had these for a year picked up as a set.

i saw a version of the 24 that was definitely near wedge on auction yesterday. Mine are not similar in grind profile, mine are more hollow in each specimen.

Edit: updated photo. I feLt like my blades were my hollow and still feel like that but maybe not by much. Maybe its IRL

mine is left, online is on right.

View attachment 1129428
Hello Jon,
I'd say that it's the angle of the photographs, that the razors seen Mto be pretty much the same. Then again we won't be able to tell without having them side by side.
In any case I've become very fond of the quarter hollow Swedish razors, especially the 4/8 version. Nearly every Swedish razor maker made it, even if Heljestrand and Hellberg produced most of them. It's a very agile, efficient and was comparatively cheap. The every day razor for the everyday man. Not a beginner's razor though.

Absolutely, i really like these blades, it did take me a “bit” to get them into use, but wow.. what a nice edge. I always hoped that the swedish manufacturers would have created a “7/8“ blade that was more obtainable in this grind.

If you're around mister Polar Bears, I'd like to know what you think of this one that I just picked up in a job lot. The remainder are predominantly Hellberg, all in decent nick

Attachments

• 16119636062833614480896714251255.jpg
    16119636062833614480896714251255.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 16119636402038822336804525469464.jpg
    16119636402038822336804525469464.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 23
  • 16119636766982904304139910201583.jpg
    16119636766982904304139910201583.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 23
Damn! I read this thread too many times! Looking on eBay yesterday I saw a No24 going for a pretty low price, thanks to very noticeable chip in the blade. I zoomed in on the photo, pulled out my calipers, measured the chip depth vs the width of the blade (I assumed it was a true 4/8”), told myself “you can hone that out!” and promptly put in a bid!

It seems that as I sink further into the rabbit hole I am more fascinated by the restoration aspects than the shaving (though to be clear the goal in every case is to restore to fine shaving condition).

If you're around mister Polar Bears, I'd like to know what you think of this one that I just picked up in a job lot. The remainder are predominantly Hellberg, all in decent nick
I'd say that that it's in good condition and that once polished and honed it'll give you good shaves for many years to come.

Damn! I read this thread too many times! Looking on eBay yesterday I saw a No24 going for a pretty low price, thanks to very noticeable chip in the blade. I zoomed in on the photo, pulled out my calipers, measured the chip depth vs the width of the blade (I assumed it was a true 4/8”), told myself “you can hone that out!” and promptly put in a bid!

It seems that as I sink further into the rabbit hole I am more fascinated by the restoration aspects than the shaving (though to be clear the goal in every case is to restore to fine shaving condition).
You'll eventually reach the bottom of the hole. Just be patient it won't take more than eight or ten years.

Top Bottom