What's new

An introduction by a newbie, and some advice sought

Hello fellow shavers,
My name is Rohan, and I live in Melbourne Australia, I've just been reading your board for the last few hours and it looks like a great place to share shaving tips and advice openly so I guess I'm saying I'd like to become part of it.

I've been shaving for the last 15 years or so and I have yet to find a solution that suits me. Up till two years ago, I was using a number of different gillette blades, the best and most well known of these is the Mach 3, but I found that I often needed to shave every day to get a good shave, and ended up with pretty severe barber's rash if I did. It was that point when I started doing some research into how to get the best shave possible.

First I tried shave oils, then I tried changing my technique. The oil helped, the technique helped more (dare I say no one ever told me you shouldn't use pressure?!) and finally after problem after problem I settled on using an electric (braun 360 activator) which provides with an "ok" shave considering I use it daily but doesn't last the full day, isn't really all that close and often needs a good touch up with another electric later in the day if I am to be presentable for the entire day.

When ordinary methods fail to produce results, one should turn to the extraordinary

I'm Caucasian, and part Mediterranean so my beard grows relatively quickly but isn't overly thick or curly.

Here comes the dilemma, I would love to have a really nice smooth face, day in day out.

I am currently pondering going the "straight razor" route, but am slightly concerned about the initial outlay if it doesn't work out (~$400AU for a full kit worth of stuff, and getting esoteric items like the strop recommended in the shaving guide are going to be a bit tricky being that I'm in Australia- not to mention the fact I can't buy stuff on the forums for a while so I'd likely have to hone my own). Not to mention the learning curve - though I am always up for a challenge.

The DE razor is another option. I think it's a less attractive option though, mainly because of the requirement of a greater number of passes, I don't want to spend all morning shaving every morning. :blink: And I am not keen on the greater number of consumables.

Any advice to sway the decision would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance - Ro from Melbourne, Au

Hi there,

From Braun to a str8 is quite a leap!! I think the first thing to do is to buy a nice brush, a nice soap and a DE razor such as the Merkur HD (the best for a begginner i think...) or a Merkur Progress (adjust.)...or the Gilette Super Speed if you find one in your drawers. All have short handles but if you prefer long handles (bigger hands...)the Merkur 23 or the Futur ( my favorite but quite hefty...) could solve your problem.

After some practice...you're shaved BBS in ten minutes with a DE...the st8 need more practice and knowledge. 6 to 8 months to have a BBS shave i think...

DE blades are quite cheap and are found everywhere.

From Braun to a str8 is quite a leap!! I think the first thing to do is to buy a nice brush, a nice soap and a DE razor such as the Merkur HD (the best for a begginner i think...) or a Merkur Progress (adjust.)...or the Gilette Super Speed if you find one in your drawers. All have short handles but if you prefer long handles (bigger hands...)the Merkur 23 or the Futur ( my favorite but quite hefty...) could solve your problem.

After some practice...you're shaved BBS in ten minutes with a DE...the st8 need more practice and knowledge. 6 to 8 months to have a BBS shave i think...

DE blades are quite cheap and are found everywhere.

Thanks for the reply - Considering I haven't had a BBS shave in a long while ( hell I can't remember the last time I did) I am prepared to have a 6-8 month learning curve, so long as the shaves are "acceptable". I have a nice badger brush from my earlier wet shaving days, some soap and a good shaving mug would be good investments. What it comes down to is what will give the best results in the long run, I am not fussed with the short game, I can live with the "semi unshaven" look so long as I don't have inch long hairs sticking out of my face :)

I see...the str8 is your piece of election.!! It's a blade you should approach with humility...you can't rush on it. Day after day, trying to find the best angle and honing and strapping. If you have time it's OK. 50 mn to 1 hour to get medium shaves on the first months...then 25 to 30 mn 10 to 12 months after and BBS...Both techniques (DE/Str8) are the best over all disposable blades...between DE and Str8? I think it's a matter of personal preferences.

Hi Rohan, welcome to B&B!

The DE razor is another option. I think it's a less attractive option though, mainly because of the requirement of a greater number of passes, I don't want to spend all morning shaving every morning. :blink: And I am not keen on the greater number of consumables.
If you're after speed, I don't think you should pick a straight over a DE. While I take less passes with a straight, I take more time. Also if you go for straights you will have to spend time maintaining the straight, something you won't have to think about if you go for a DE. I do think the amount of time lamina mentions are a bit extreme though. You definitely don't want to rush a straight shave, especially in the beginning, but after a few months of straight shaving I can get it done in under 10 minutes, but I generally take about 20 minutes because I enjoy the ritual of it and taking my time.

Joel, one of the founders here, has a Guide to Straight Razor Shaving, and a part that's definitely worth reading if you're considering shaving with a straight is "DE VS Straight - Which one for me?" I think if you are looking for a quick and cheap version of shaving then going with a DE is probably a safer bet (especially with the lower set up cost). But if you are interested in straight razor shaving, and don't mind the maintenance that goes along with it then go for it.

Oh, and you can buy things on the forums just fine. The time and post requirements are just for selling.

I too came from the electric razor. I went the DE route and couldn't be happier. However, the transition wasn't easy or a breeze. I cant imagine what it would be like to jump to the str8. Your face will not adjust overnight to the DE shaves, at least mine didn't. The name of the game in this business slow and easy. You cant rush a good shave or your face for that matter.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the DE's. I am confident you will get the results you are looking for and be happy. Plus, further down the road, should you decide to switch, the transition to a str8 will be much easier.

Also, welcome to B&B, where shaving isn't a chore, its a hobby.

I would recommend the DE route first as a DE razors are very cheap. If you decide you want to try the straight razor you've already made the investment in a shaving brush and soap/creams.

I get a good DE shave in ten minutes, sometimes less.

Good luck in your decision and check back in to let us know where you ended up.

I would also recommend the DE route. For one thing, it will give you time to experiment and minimize or eliminate variables in your shave such as what prep routine works best for you, what creams/soaps work best for you, how your face reacts to the DE blade, blade angle, etc. It will also keep you from dumping a ton of $$$ into a straight until you are sure wet shaving and all of the pre- and post- prep are for you. Once you've worked out all those things using the DE, you can move up to the straight and concentrate on your technique without having to worry about all the other variables coming into play.

Just my 2 cents. :biggrin1:

The thing I'm most worried about with DE shaving (after a bit of research) is the possibility that the used blades might end up in "little hands" and I don't want that...

Any advice to sway the decision would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance - Ro from Melbourne, Au

To get that totally smooth shave, I have to do multiple passes regardless if I am using a DE or a multi-bladed cartridge razor.

Welcome to B&B! :thumbup1:

The thing I'm most worried about with DE shaving (after a bit of research) is the possibility that the used blades might end up in "little hands" and I don't want that...

Welcome, from a Sydney aussie!

There are good workarounds for the safe disposal of blades. Lees razors provided me with a cute little tin with a tiny slit (like a money box) that lets blades in - but they won't get out (well not without a lot of skill!).

BTW I got the tin with my purchase of a Merkur Slant - great DE alternative to what I would hope from a str8 - i.e. aggressive razor for a tough beard. A whole lot cheaper & not much learning curve. Get BBS in about 10 mins, as I've perfected my technique & found time saving lathering shortcuts! :biggrin:

See if your local pharmacy will sell (or give) you one of the large prescription bottles they use to dispense medications. I believe those are childproof. Or, you can use just about any OTC bottle (vitamins, large ibuprofen, etc.) Most of them have childproof caps.

Just my 2 cents.

Welcome! I fell into the straight razor (ouch!) side of shaving b/c I received my great great grandfather's Genco Grant and wanted to partake in some nostalgia. It wasn't sharp at all, you could have run your hand across the blade and "nothing". I made the mistake of trying it in such a fashion and it tore my neck to sheds from ripping the hairs not cutting them. I proceeded to buy a Gillette Fatboy DE on ebay and went that route for a bit. The ole straight kept calling my name. I eventually bought a Norton honing stone and strop from Jim at Vintage Blades and got the Genco up to BBS shaving. Another ebay purchase of a Kron Punkt straight and Dovo 6/8 for Christmas and I just can't seem to stop. I have even started what I think is a soap habbit as well.

It does take a bit longer in the a.m. with the straight as I am still trying to work out the neck area but the rest of the face is fantastic and takes as much time as the DE would take about 10 minutes or less (strop time, lather time and shave). Good luck with which ever route you choose, cause in the end it's all personal preference:001_smile

I've taken to keeping one empty Gillette Platinum dispenser(the plastic one) on hand to put used blades away from small hands. You could also go to a hardware store and get a carpet blade holder. They hold about 125 of the much thicker carpet knife blades so they should hold about 175 DE blades before needing to be dumped into the curb-side bin.

-There is thread here about the right way to throw out blades i.e you can take an old soup can, make hole in it with a knife and put the disposables in there.

Look and you will fine a lot of good and experienced advices 24/7 in this forum.

Welcome.

- One of our moderators (Third Eye i believe is the name) made a wonderful thread about this called, How to make a DE Bank for less than 50 cents.

There's your answer, very ilustrative, cheap, easy and fun thing to do. No more worries.

Top Bottom