What's new

An inexpensive way to roast your own coffee

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I prefer oven roasting, and it uses things I already have in my kitchen. I started roasting with a small air-roaster, but disliked the fact that it only made enough for one pot. After a year of daily use, the thing died and I had to figure out a different way to do it. Once I started roasting once/week, it became fun again. :001_smile

The smoke has never been that big an issue. Get a nice cross breeze blowing through the house and the smoke is gone in a few minutes. Cooling is the biggest problem. The beans don't get down to room temperature for about 10 minutes after they are done. That's slow, but coffee roasting standards.

When I'm finished roasting I swirl the beans in a big colander until they're cool enough to handle, then spread them on a cookie sheet to finish.

By the way, I've enjoyed reading every one of your posts so far. Hope you stick around. :thumbup1:

Sweetmaria's is likely to have better everything as a source of coffee beans and apparatus of all types. I once wrote them a letter of appreciation stating that they have the ideal business model. Customer service is their strongest attribute.

Good customer service is one thing, but why do they have to charge more for it? It's like they're acting like good people and saying nice things, but then charge you more than they have to...so are they really that great?

When I'm finished roasting I swirl the beans in a big colander until they're cool enough to handle, then spread them on a cookie sheet to finish.

I also use a colander, but do so somewhat differently. I keep my aluminum colander in the freezer, and take it out right after I've unplugged my Poppery II. Then I pour the roasted beans into it, swirl them around a few times, and stick the colander+beans back into the freezer. I remove the colander+beans while I'm roasting the next batch of beans, and pour them through a plastic funnel (minus the spout; really the "shoulders" of the funnel) into a jar. Then I return the colander to the freezer. Lather, rinse, repeat...

I need to roast again; perhaps tomorrow.

I say let's do whatever is necessary to get Tim roasting.

I will donate a few pounds of beans. What else can we enablers send his way?

-Scott

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I also use a colander, but do so somewhat differently. I keep my aluminum colander in the freezer, and take it out right after I've unplugged my Poppery II. Then I pour the roasted beans into it, swirl them around a few times, and stick the colander+beans back into the freezer.

The freezer? Sounds like a good idea, but where will I keep my collection of human heads while the beans are cooling?:confused:

The freezer? Sounds like a good idea, but where will I keep my collection of human heads while the beans are cooling?:confused:

You'll make more room in your freezer if you just keep the smaller... ah, bits. :wink2:

I use a big pasta strainer (one that fits in a 6 1/2 qt. pot), and remove the chaff in the sink by swirling/stirring the beans. Then the strainer goes on a wire rack and I use a fan set on high to cool the beans (stirring them every couple of minutes). Works well enough, but any chaff left on the beans ends up blowing around the kitchen for a while.

It's nice to see so many home roasters here. :001_smile

D

doleeo

I say let's do whatever is necessary to get Tim roasting.

I will donate a few pounds of beans. What else can we enablers send his way?

I might have an original Poppery he could use. The reason it's a might is because my sisters boyfriend asked for it after I got my new Behmor.

I'll ask him tomorrow if he still wants it.

good to see the homeroasters on board.

+1 Poppery II. I pick 'em up at thrift stores.

+1 Colander. Neat trick taught to me by another homeroaster. I like the idea of chilling it first...I hadn't thought of that.

I have been using a popper, with good success. I haven't had the 'sack' to do it inside,since my first attempt completely filled the top half of my house. Out to the garage since. I like the idea of keeping a colander in the freezer.I will give it a try. I will have an I-roast2 in a day or two, any tips. I have read what is posted on Sweet Marias, but if anyone can give me a few more tips please let me know.
Thanks

Some random comments:

I'll kick in green beans to get Tim roasting. No problem. :biggrin:

Even in the iRoast2, the cracks are very easy to hear over the roar. It just takes a few roasts to attune yourself to it. I am on my second machine after the first one broke, but it just sits in the closet since I love my Gene Cafe

Sweet Marias is a bit more expensive than other places, but I can say with authority that their quality is much higher than other places. You are basically paying Tom to be your personal cupper; he is personally rejecting most of what he gets and only bringing in unique micro- (and nano-) lots. Just compare the cupping notes to other sites and you'll see the difference.

Green coffee is dirt cheap anyway - it pays to get the good stuff.

Top Bottom