What's new

An illustrated guide to restoring safety razors

Gentlemen,

I received a Gillette Ranger Tech today that needed lots of attention. I decided to photograph and describe the step-by-step process of bringing this razor back to life. I hope the Web page I quickly put together will help someone restore an interesting find.

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE GUIDE.

tam.audio said:
Does boiling help in the sanitizing factor?

Kyle

Boiling should definitely assist with the sanitization factor.

My question is where to pick up MAAS (WallyWorld) or if anyone uses any other metal polishes.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the replies. The purpose of the initial boil was simply to loosen the build-up on that razor. Such a boil will not sterilize the razor because the razor was not clean.

I allowed the razor to boil for five minutes, which I figured was enough time for the hot water to work its way into the mess. If you want to boil a razor that you've thoroughly cleaned (items must be clean to be sterile), you must ensure that the razor reaches 212F. I would say 10 minutes or so will do the trick.

If you're really concerned, use a pressure cooker. Steam heat under 15 psi of pressure will exceed 250F and certainly penetrate every nook and cranny. I would only use a pressure cooker in the most extreme cases. You saw how nasty that razor was, and yet a pressure cooker was not needed. Here's some information about pressure cookers.

MAAS is pretty common stuff. If you can't find it at the hardware store, you can order it online. Here's a link.

I just bought a used Gillette super speed off of eBay, the seller claims it has been sanitized and oiled. I think I'll sanitize it my self however. What's the best way to do this? The razor itself is in good condition.

Kyle

You could give the razor a cleaning with some mild dish soap (i.e., Dawn) and a toothbrush, rinse it, boil it for 10 minutes or so, then soak it in hydrogen peroxide after it has cooled. If the moving parts feel tight after the cleaning and sterilization, actuate the twist-to-open mechanism and then submerge the razor in mineral oil.

Is there a process to break down and clean a Gillette Fat Boy? I acquired the FB at the most recent COWSBC and SWMBO Annual Luncheon and upon giving it a good once-over with soap and toothbrush noticed a lot of grime hidden between the base of the head and the platform that is raised by twisting the dial. I hope that gives a good descripition as I do not know any "technical" names for these parts.

Thanks!

teamacacia said:
Is there a process to break down and clean a Gillette Fat Boy? I acquired the FB at the most recent COWSBC and SWMBO Annual Luncheon and upon giving it a good once-over with soap and toothbrush noticed a lot of grime hidden between the base of the head and the platform that is raised by twisting the dial. I hope that gives a good descripition as I do not know any "technical" names for these parts.

Thanks!
Don't attempt to take the Fatboy apart. Instead, try to get those spots with cotton swabs, pipe cleaners, dental floss, or whatever.

Ben said:
Don't attempt to take the Fatboy apart. Instead, try to get those spots with cotton swabs, pipe cleaners, dental floss, or whatever.

Will do. I have a some expanding dental floss that may be perfect for the job. Thanks!

Top Bottom