What's new

An idea for soap storage...

So I, like many of you, enjoy trying the myriad of soaps on the market today. Unfortunately, the containers sold with those soaps are ridiculously expensive (e.g. MWF).

Anyway, I found myself thinking on this very conundrum as I wandered through the local hardware store. Then, from the corner of my eye, I spotted a decent solution.

1/2 pint glass jars with metal lids. These are normally used for canning veggies, but I milled a puck of D.R. Harris into one. The size is perfect and it has a screw-on lid. Furthermore, I picked up a case of 12 for less than $9. The glass doesn't leave a cheap feeling like plastic ware, and they are very easy to mark (I used masking tape and a sharpie).

The ones I found are made by Kerr, but I'm sure Ball and Mason make something similar. I hope someone finds this thread useful.

Here are a few pics in case my explanation doesn't do it for you.

picture.php

With a Vulfix 660 small and a Gillette Tech, for reference.
picture.php

picture.php

If you go this route just make sure you try to keep the threaded rims dry as they will rust over time if wet.

If you go this route just make sure you try to keep the threaded rims dry as they will rust over time if wet.

If they get too bad, you can buy a whole box full of lids for just a couple of dollars.

I have already gone this route, and I think I like it. However, I haven't used these long enough for rust problems yet.

Top Bottom