What's new

An idea for disposing of blades.

Hi Folks,

18 year old wet shaver here. After shaving with my Red Personnas, I typically toss them into a jerry-rigged Altoid tin that I taped shut and cut a slit into. I once had a "shave bank," but wasn't too fond of how it looked in my shave den.

I was wondering what you gentlemen do with your dull blades!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome teenshaver. I am so glad to see that you are concerned with blade disposal. I use a 'red box' or sharps box I got from the City. Another option I use is a juice bottle and my Brother uses an empty laundry bottle (tide). These are solid and the blades will not harm anyone. My City also has free recycling of sharps every few months so again safe disposal. I use the laundry bottle in the garage for broken knives, scissors, screws, etc. Hope that gives you a few ideas.

Any money (coin) bank can be used as a blade bank.
You can use the plastic tuck (can take some 70 blades and they cost nothing), both sides.

fine accoutrements sells these:

Screenshot 2017-07-07 at 9.07.12 PM.png

IMG_0925.JPG

Been using this for several years. Still haven't filled it. Works great! I just keep it under the sink.

I have made a sharps from a beer can and the newer snap on carry tops. You can remove the can top with a standard can opener and cut a single lid away from the carrier, a slot in the top and you are set. It would hold a lot of blades, aesthetically it may be less desirable. The wife and I use a standard blade bank.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome, teenshaver. Great to have you here on B&B.

I keep the cardboard tuck boxes and return used blades to them. Toss when full.

Hi Folks,

18 year old wet shaver here. After shaving with my Red Personnas, I typically toss them into a jerry-rigged Altoid tin that I taped shut and cut a slit into. I once had a "shave bank," but wasn't too fond of how it looked in my shave den.

I was wondering what you gentlemen do with your dull blades!

I use any small plastic container that will take up the least room in the medicine cabinet, tape it up and toss it when it's full.

I don't feel the need to display my shaving related items so it doesn't matter how it looks.

My toothbrush has a holder, but that's not really for display purposes.

I use an old prescription bottle with a child-proof (yeah, right!) cap. When it's full I take it to a sharps disposal location. In our town there's one at the local police station.

That is a cool idea. Never saw it before.

It's pretty much a variation on the old school medicine chests that had a used razor blade slot. The problem is that you are dumping the used blades into the space between the wall studs. It makes for quite the mess if you ever tear out the wallboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The house I grew up in had the slots in the medicine cabinets. My dad used those, so I am familiar with that method.

I was imprecise. I meant to say that I was not aware that Fine made a new-fangled wall plate that was the functional equivalent of the old medicine cabinet slot.

It's pretty much a variation on the old school medicine chests that had a used razor blade slot. The problem is that you are dumping the used blades into the space between the wall studs. It makes for quite the mess if you ever tear out the wallboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing like finding 30 years worth of blades inside a wall. Put them in an old coffee can that we had in the van and recycled them at the city dump. This was back in 1986, I was 21 and working construction. I remember thinking that's strange when all the blades fell out onto the floor.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I have been using an empty matchbox for some time now. I keep it in my cabinet drawer and when full I wrap it in masking tape and throw in the garbage. I always keep my match boxes when empty, so I have a good supply.

Top Bottom