What's new

An End to Lurking

Hello, All!

Finally made an account after years of lurking! I started shaving at 15 with a Merkur Progress, and never saw any reason to change from a safety razor. In the past few years, I migrated to an Gillette super adjustable found in my father’s bathroom cupboard, and have been slowly cycling through blades in search of a perfectly smooth shave!
After graduating from university a few weeks ago and starting a proper office job, my newfound access to disposable income has led me down a path of finally indulging in purchasing some of the items on my “want to buy” list! First up was a Gillette Fatboy, and a nice example is on its way to me now. I also have decided to ditch the “Cremo” soap that I’ve been using, so I’ve picked up a sample pack from WCS, a brush, and a selection of aftershaves that seem like they’ll work well. I have always had a problem with some red bumps on my neck, and am constantly working towards preventing irritation.

I’ve also always been a collector, and have a large “den” of vintage fountain pens and typewriters, so the opportunity to get into traditional wet shaving has been wonderful. I think the next frontier is to get back into straight razors, which I used for a good year in college. I’m excited to get involved in the community!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Welcome to B&B. You may find that your razor bumps may be a thing of the past once you return to SR shaving and develop your technique.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from Australia and thanks for checking in with us and sharing your experience.

Never used a cartridge? Good on you!

I think you'll enjoy the world of great soaps. My review of Cremo was: it works, but I kind of hate it anyway. There are almost as many opinions about soaps as there are members here, but mine is: go straight to the top, and get a Saponficio Varesino. And pick up some Mitchell's Wool Fat along the way. Don't let its wide availability make you think it's not great stuff.

I am not a collector, and I have 18 straight razors in my irregular rotation. Beware.

Hello, All!

Finally made an account after years of lurking! I started shaving at 15 with a Merkur Progress, and never saw any reason to change from a safety razor. In the past few years, I migrated to an Gillette super adjustable found in my father’s bathroom cupboard, and have been slowly cycling through blades in search of a perfectly smooth shave!
After graduating from university a few weeks ago and starting a proper office job, my newfound access to disposable income has led me down a path of finally indulging in purchasing some of the items on my “want to buy” list! First up was a Gillette Fatboy, and a nice example is on its way to me now. I also have decided to ditch the “Cremo” soap that I’ve been using, so I’ve picked up a sample pack from WCS, a brush, and a selection of aftershaves that seem like they’ll work well. I have always had a problem with some red bumps on my neck, and am constantly working towards preventing irritation.

I’ve also always been a collector, and have a large “den” of vintage fountain pens and typewriters, so the opportunity to get into traditional wet shaving has been wonderful. I think the next frontier is to get back into straight razors, which I used for a good year in college. I’m excited to get involved in the community!
Congrats on your university degree young man!

You're 22 and you already have a steady, well-paying job. Bingo!

Allow this old fart to give you a piece of unsolicited advice (I apologize in advance):

Put that "disposable income" into a savings account and forget about collecting fountain pens and expensive razors and other similar useless b/s. SAVE, SAVE and SAVE - until you can buy a home. And I mean buy it and own it, not buy it and pay mortgage until the end of your days.

Once, you OWN a home, you can then collect all the b/s you want.

Just my 0.02$ 😉

Welcome to upgrading your status from lurker to participant on the board.
I see you are well aquatinted with hobby rabbit holes. That being said I agree with @DaveHStone on not throwing all of your "newly disposable income" down the shaving hole. At least set a budget... Which may mean you buy a large item and need to take a month or two gap to keep annual spending in budget. Save as much as you can otherwise. You will think back as your income and lot in life grows knowing you have an enjoyable hobby and a decent standard of living. :pipe:

Top Bottom