What's new

An easier way to get the funk out of boars? I may have found one.

So my first boar brush took a little while to get the funk out, even after using my shampoo and even a little dish soap.

I ordered another one, an omega 10048, and this one also smells like wet dog. The wet dog got me thinking about my dog, and when he stinks he gets a bath with dog shampoo. Now, I have only tried this once, so I cannot confirm the repeatibility of my results, but after only one wash the smell is mostly gone. It worked really well. After two the smell was completely gone, at least to my nose and my wife's. I can't confirm if it will have any adverse effects on the life of the brush, but I can't see how it would.

This definitely worked better than any other method I have tried. Maybe I am on to something?
94030_MAIN._AC_SY400_V1543533488_.jpg

Maybe I am on to something?
Nope, at least not in my eyes. A few test lathers should get rid of the boar funk.

You risk long term damage if you soak it in conditioners, use dog dog shampoo, soak it for 24hrs, stick it in the fridge and whatever anyone else has suggested doing to speed up the break in process or to de-funk it.

Just use it for a week and it'll be gone and on it's way to being broken in properly. Enjoy the process and transition along the way. It's not a race.

People have used all sorts of crazy methods over the years. I've yet to see one stick around and last. Besides just using the brush as it was intended with the products it was intended for and for the intended time soaking and lathering, nothing will work better.

I have a bottle of that beside my bathtub and never thought of using it on brushes. Might work well as it destinks my two giant dogs. 🧐

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I like the animal smell on boar brushes. But usually a rinse with dish liquid then some shampoo would suffice.

I go along with these words.

To each their own. If I wanted that smell I would just lather up my dog and rub him across my face.
Please post pics?????? LOL, just kidding.

I think the Boar Funk is very noticeable and unpleasant for many. I’m pretty immune to it, so I just lather and go and it goes away on its own.

I’m not sure if the dog shampoo would hurt the brush but, I hope it doesn’t and you get years of great lathers from your little piggy.

Please post pics?????? LOL, just kidding.

I think the Boar Funk is very noticeable and unpleasant for many. I’m pretty immune to it, so I just lather and go and it goes away on its own.

I’m not sure if the dog shampoo would hurt the brush but, I hope it doesn’t and you get years of great lathers from your little piggy.

If I experience any adverse effects of the brush I will definitely post an update. So far so good though!

It is OK to use human shampoo or horse shampoo on brushes, but be careful with dog shampoos. They are formulated at a higher pH than people shampoos to match the pH of dog skin. The skin of horses is similar in pH to the skin of humans, so Mane and Tail horse shampoo is sold in the same aisle as shampoos for people. Using a horse shampoo is fine, especially on horsehair brushes.

And as a side note, I routinely use conditioner (human) on all my non-synthetic brushes every few months (after thorough cleaning). It keeps the hair soft, reduces breakage and lost fibers, removes debris and in general restores the brushes as closely as possible to their original condition in my observation.

@RayClem People sweat, so do horses so maybe some similar chemistry going on here? Hogs don't sweat and dogs only sweat in their feet IIRC. So what's the pH of dog vs hog?

Edit; never mind:
Human 4.5 - 6.5
Horse ~6.3 higher if sweating.

Hog 7.22±0. 28
Dog 7.75±0.71

Last edited:
On the stink level in my experience has been
1. Horse
2. Badger
3. Boar
I've found very thorough rinsing and a few test lathers generally gets rid of it all.
+1 on the ranking! Although I've found badger and boar to be a mixed bag regarding which can be worse - depends likely on the manufacturer and source, and I've run across some pretty funky badgers and some pretty funky boars. Horse is definitely the winner, not by a nose (a pun!) but by several lengths....:biggrin1:

Top Bottom