What's new

An Aristocrat factory error?

The odd looking Aristocrat on the left was found today. How unusual is this and does it add some extra value to this razor?
two Aristocrats with odd heads.jpg

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
What Case when new? Blue Aristocrat 46-47 /Brown Aristocrat 48-50?
I'd lean towards the brown coffin case (47) or the clamshell brown case (48) each with the burgundy interior based on what I can see from Achim. That's my best guess. I think it could be either, honestly.

I'd lean towards the brown coffin case (47) or the clamshell brown case (48) each with the burgundy interior based on what I can see from Achim. That's my best guess. I think it could be either, honestly.
This is my only option. Would you switch these two? I also have a brown clamshell with my 53 Diplomat in it but I'm not sure that works. Also, this unusual Aristocrat is missing an end cap. How difficult is it to have one installed? Is an end cap something a local jeweller would be able to attach if I were to provide a donor razor end cap? I have a gold end cap that fell off the Diplomat.
1948-50 case.jpg

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
This is my only option. Would you switch these two? I also have a brown clamshell with my 53 Diplomat in it but I'm not sure that works. Also, this unusual Aristocrat is missing an end cap. How difficult is it to have one installed? Is an end cap something a local jeweller would be able to attach if I were to provide a donor razor end cap? I have a gold end cap that fell off the Diplomat.View attachment 1219152
I believe that is the 46-47 case you have as a 48-50. I don't believe either razor fits. The 46-47 would have two smooth bands. The Diplomat case would not be correct. I believe there are fleur-de-lis(s) on it. That may be specific to the Diplomat. As far as endcaps go, if the Diplomat looks as good as the Aristocrat, I'd put it back on it. You can use a bit of marine epoxy and it will be solid. The trick of donor endcaps is not only finding the right one, but also the right color tone. These razors have all seen different lives.
If you want to go the jeweler route, I'm sure they could fix you up.

I believe that is the 46-47 case you have as a 48-50. I don't believe either razor fits. The 46-47 would have two smooth bands. The Diplomat case would not be correct. I believe there are fleur-de-lis(s) on it. That may be specific to the Diplomat. As far as endcaps go, if the Diplomat looks as good as the Aristocrat, I'd put it back on it. You can use a bit of marine epoxy and it will be solid. The trick of donor endcaps is not only finding the right one, but also the right color tone. These razors have all seen different lives.
If you want to go the jeweler route, I'm sure they could fix you up.
I had this case kicking around with a totally trashed and rusty inside. Some fresh paint, some black cardboard and a bit of felt for
the Head and Handle. Done deal.
!
refab 1948 Gillette  box.jpg

Gillette never wasted anything, or so the saying goes. Somewhere packed away I beieve I have this same 47/48 Aristocrat "transition piece" I think I may also have a Milord without text inside the head or on the band down near the knob. I guess that would be a 41 head on a 46 handle. Also I have 2 Slims marked N-3 (1968) that have Super Adjustable bottom plates. N-2 and N-4 Slims have the normal Slim base plates.

Gillette never wasted anything, or so the saying goes. Somewhere packed away I beieve I have this same 47/48 Aristocrat "transition piece" I think I may also have a Milord without text inside the head or on the band down near the knob. I guess that would be a 41 head on a 46 handle. Also I have 2 Slims marked N-3 (1968) that have Super Adjustable bottom plates. N-2 and N-4 Slims have the normal Slim base plates.
That is interesting. I own an N-2 Slim. What does a SA bottom plate look like? Mind taking a pic for me?

Top Bottom