What's new

An annoying allergy / Lilac Vegetal

I've known for several years that I've had issues with Yellow #5 (E 102 or tartrazine for some of you) and its chemical cousin Yellow #6. Even small doses can cause lightheadedness, confusion, and headaches, and larger doses can cause vertigo, nausea, and vomiting.

I've avoided eating these dyes entirely, but I've noticed that my bottle of Lilac Vegetal lists Yellow #5 as an ingredient, and that I experience some of the milder effects when I use it.

It's a shame, since I really enjoy the scent. I've had to start using my Barbasol Brisk Pacific Rush (Colored with Yellow 10) which I enjoy but not as much. My only non-colored aftershave is Old Spice and I'm under specific orders from SWMBO to never wear it within 100 years of her, our house, or any car she drives in.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Are you sure the lightheadedness and confusion isn't just from the smell??

:lol: :lol:

That's too bad, sorry to hear that you can't use a product you like. If it's any consolation, I'll splash on a double dose for you tomorrow morning. :w00t:

Are you sure the lightheadedness and confusion isn't just from the smell??

:lol: :lol:

That's too bad, sorry to hear that you can't use a product you like. If it's any consolation, I'll splash on a double dose for you tomorrow morning. :w00t:

Go ahead and splash away. I might have to dab some on a t-shirt the times I want to wear it.

I was hoping that was the case, and kept using it.

Then, I got a little on my lips and needed to take ibuprofen and go to bed.

I'm thinking about getting some Eau de Portugal. I think that one's clear. Any other Pinaud AS without Yellow 5 or 6?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Go ahead and splash away. I might have to dab some on a t-shirt the times I want to wear it.

I was hoping that was the case, and kept using it.

Then, I got a little on my lips and needed to take ibuprofen and go to bed.

I'm thinking about getting some Eau de Portugal. I think that one's clear. Any other Pinaud AS without Yellow 5 or 6?

I would think no yellow in;

Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum (brown)
Clubman Lime Sec Eau de Cologne (blue)
Clubman Eau de Quinine Hair Tonic (still a great AS) (Red)
Clubman Eau de Portugal Hair Tonic (clear)

There are other brown colored Clubmans as well, Musk, Special Reserve and Vanilla but on second thought, the browns may be tinted with yellow as well.

I'm sure you can google the ingredients list.

I am amazed to open this thread and find a serious original post.

You sir, are the stuff of legend. Chosen by the Veg, yet unable to accept her Lilac embrace due to the very essence of what she is.

The Greek Tragedies had no more pathos than this.

Top Bottom