What's new

An alternative to the Feather 800-1B

Hello everyone,

I've been shaving with DE razors for 2 years but I've had many bad experiences due to the sensitivity of my skin.
I started with a The Bluebeards Revenge Scimitar and a sample pack of blades but it felt incredibly agressive.

I did like the way shaving with a DE worked so I got a nice golden colored Merkur Futur to try it at a level 1 to see if that was any better. It was not. It still felt too agressive and I also didn't like the weight of the razor.

I then got a Feather 800-1B because I heard it was very mild. This is still the razor I use today and I love it. I love the lenght of the handle, the light weight and the plastic protective bar against my face rather than metal. I also enjoy the butterfly mechanism.

I also tried the Gilette King C. DE out of curiosity and even though it felt mild enough, I didn't like the heavy weight and shorter handle.

Even though the 800-1B gives me a great shave it is a very cheap razor. Because I enjoy the hobby of shaving I wish to replace this razor for something more premium. Because holding the 800-1B and looking at it definitely does not give me that experience.

I have looked at the Feather AS-D2 but I'm scared I wont enjoy the weight. I was wondering if there were any alternatives based on my preferences that I might have overlooked or simply don't know about.

Looking forward to any replies, thanks in advance!

If you want to stick with butterfly razors, you do limit yourself. Good mild options I have experience with are the vintage Gillette Superspeed or Rocket HD. No experience with Gillette Rocket or Parat (bit lighter than HD version). I know there is a Weishi Gillette copy with butterfly system, but never shaved with it. Heard good things. Parker also has butterfly razors, but they are usually a bit more agressive? Pearle also, but unfamiliar with.

If you want to stick with butterfly razors, you do limit yourself. Good mild options I have experience with are the vintage Gillette Superspeed or Rocket HD. No experience with Gillette Rocket or Parat (bit lighter than HD version). I know there is a Weishi Gillette copy with butterfly system, but never shaved with it. Heard good things. Parker also has butterfly razors, but they are usually a bit more agressive? Pearle also, but unfamiliar with.
You're right, sticking with butterfly razors limits my options tremendously. I love the ease of use but it's not a necessity for me.

lasta

Blade Biter
+1 on vintage Techs. Look for one with an aluminum handle.

Although, current trend for "premium" razors is steel heads on solid steel handles ~100g.

You can try a modern head with a light aluminum handle.

Cal has a beautiful one if he every comes around to share his source. :c11:

Top Bottom