What's new

An advantage to bent pipes

I noticed this yesterday, smoking the Savinelli Long John. To me straight pipes and bent ones smoke about the same overall (though I love the upright, "Yeah, I smoke a pipe, what's it to you?" attitude of a straight). I tend not to leave my pipe in my mouth for the whole smoke, either, so the mechanical advantage of a bent (easier on the jaw) doesn't come into it. But --

-- there is another great advantage to a bent pipe. You can look down and see the surface of the tobacco as you light it, which allows you to make sure you char it fairly evenly. And for a little while you can watch the orange ember wax and wane as you draw on your pipe. I'd never thought about that before. . . .

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I noticed this yesterday, smoking the Savinelli Long John. To me straight pipes and bent ones smoke about the same overall (though I love the upright, "Yeah, I smoke a pipe, what's it to you?" attitude of a straight). I tend not to leave my pipe in my mouth for the whole smoke, either, so the mechanical advantage of a bent (easier on the jaw) doesn't come into it. But --

-- there is another great advantage to a bent pipe. You can look down and see the surface of the tobacco as you light it, which allows you to make sure you char it fairly evenly. And for a little while you can watch the orange ember wax and wane as you draw on your pipe. I'd never thought about that before. . . .

One disadvantage, depending on the air direction. The top burn will occasionally blow back into your face. At least with a straight, the bowl can be reasonably above your nose when that happens. Sort of like the chimney-roofline thing.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
There's two main things I want from a pipe. Three if you include affordability (for which I have a particularly low threshold). I want pipes that sit, and I want line of sight to the bowl, so I can see where the flame is going. Those three things don't coincide that often, but I have built a decent array of pipe that tick the boxes

It’s funny that you brought this up. I got my first full bent pipe this weekend - an Oom Paul. As I was lighting it, I could watch the embers light. I realized that I’d never seen that before!

It’s funny that you brought this up. I got my first full bent pipe this weekend - an Oom Paul. As I was lighting it, I could watch the embers light. I realized that I’d never seen that before!
My first "real" pipe was an Oom Paul, and in fact I still have it. I need to get it out and use it again.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Man you guys sure make me miss my pipes. The absolute definition of relaxation. I'm sure there are pipes in heaven, and I ain't talking about ones attached to organs!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I like them all. Depends on what mood strikes me at any given time. Smoked a full bent GBD billiard all day yesterday and a straight GBD Prehistoric all day today. One was as satisfactory as the other. That’s the beauty of pipes and their different shapes. Smoking a straight Country Gentleman at the moment.

Top Bottom