What's new

An Acquired Taste

Not me, but my sister...and I caused it. As kids we had a cat that I fed canned mushrooms to. Up until then my sister tolerated them. She was astounded that the cat ate them. I told her it was because they tasted like mice (it was really the salt in the water). To this day my sister will not touch a mushroom.

Sweet potatoes. Now I microwave them and eat skin and all without butter or even salt. I feel kind of lucky because they are easy, quick, cheap, filling, and nutritious (and don't forget the fiber!).

I never liked bleu cheese until a waitress brought some (dressing) with my Buffalo wings. I thought it was a mistake. But to my surprise it went well with the wings. Now I can tolerate it on other things. Some things in life just require a proper introduction.

Creamed beef, didn't care for it until I was in the Corps. Once in a while we got hot chow brought out, usually breakfast. Scrambled eggs (cold) potatoes ( warm) creamed beef (hot) . I'd mix it all together hit it with some Tabasco .
Every now and then I still get in the mood for it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Tripe, I hated it as a kid. Now I love it and no-one else seems to. I cannot cook it for the life of me. My mother cooks it really well but hates it. She would cook it for me if I asked though.

I love tripe and have managed to cook it well. About the only way to get any these days for me. Needs to be rinsed repeatedly and then cooked for a long time.

Never had it as a kid.

I have eaten lots of random stuff growing up so have I would not consider myself too picky. But I have noticed that over time I have become a bit pickier. For example growing up I loved to eat liver breaded with lemon and saute onions. About 20 years ago a neighbor was slaughtering some cows and I made the mistake of asking about the liver. He said nobody wanted to organ meat so he wasn't too sure what to do with it. I mentioned I like liver and later that evening he brought me some (a 5 gallon bucket full). First we made a zillion dog cookies, breaded liver, fried liver, and about a dozen other ways of cooking liver. But I was never able to like store bought liver ever again - it didn't taste right. As I get older I get picky about sourcing... I roast my coffee, I collect my own eggs, I go to a local market for most of my veggies (that I don't grow).

In terms of non-standard (in American eyes) stuff... I have eaten insects, crocodile, limpets (raw), sea cucumber, prawns (live), kangaroo, and reindeer, bear, various game animals, a large variety of fish, and a variety of interesting fruits and veggies. I am not sure of anything I would not try again (other than a durian).

Ruckin.

I think I am unusual in that I ate a lot of what most Americans would consider unusual stuff growing up. I truly liked a lot of it. Liver not so much when I was a kid, if liver is actually unusual.

Regarding your example above, I think freshness makes a huge difference with liver. I am guessing pasture raised would, too.

Same thing for coffee one roasts oneself, fresh eggs, local fresh produce. The fresher and less handled it is, the better it is. I did not appreciate all of the exquisitely fresh, straight from the garden vegetables we ate. Or, for that matter, the things my Mother canned. I sure would now. I can taste all of that stuff in my mind's eye, so to speak. So corny to say, but it tastes a lot like love!

One thing I didn't have a taste for as a young-youngster was runny yolks on eggs. Now it's my favorite, poached, over easy, soft boiled, you name it. Scrambled still needs to be firm for me.

For me, pineapple.

I avoided it like the plague as a kid, it ruined ham, cake (pineapple upside down cake) and anything else. Of course, as a kid, I was only introduced to the canned variety.

About 6 months ago fresh pineapples were on sale, so I bought one knowing the lady likes pineapple. I cut it up for her and I think I ate about half that dang pineapple! So good and juicy!

Top Bottom