What's new

An Acquired Taste

Hi,

As a kid, I would eat anything that wasn't nailed down or couldn't run fast enough to get away.:biggrin: Even lutefisk and gammalost cheese was devoured with relish.

Except for two items that I still will not eat to this day - cranberries and avocados. I do not eat things they make soap and candles out of..............

Steaks cooked medium or medium rare
Pineapple on pizza
Sauerkraut, now I love a reuben sandwich
Chicken gizzards and livers
Sushi and wasabi Never tried those as a kid though

I never ate fried eggs before until in the 80s when I was in my late teens and my cousin whipped up some fried eggs when we had the "munchies" one night. "OMG! Eggs are awesome!" I said.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I could not stand the smell of mushroom soup as a kid . . . my brother's favourite. Avoided them on pizza up until my 30's. Crave the things now.

Maybe it is time to face liver.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
There used to be something about the smell of mushrooms on pizza that I cutlet stand. I could barely be in the same room. I love the on pizza, now.

I expect it might have something to do with the quality of mushrooms we can get. Back in the old days, I hardly recall seeing mushrooms that didn't come in a can or jar. There were no fresh.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Speaking of shrooms, we didn't eat them as kids. Not until we went to Bonanza's restaurant and ordered them fried. Oh mylanta those things were good.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I always liked Italian salad dressings as a youngster, hated sweet salad dressings. Now it has flipped. This thread just made me realize this. Strange.

I despised peas as a child and wasn't so keen on olives or blue cheese. Now I will happily eat all three (although not necessarily from the same plate).

I really hated cucumber as a kid and if anyone comes near me with that filthy green muck there will be trouble.

Blue cheese, for sure, and "stinky" cheeses.

Dill pickles.

Some of this stuff is obvious, as noted. Kids generally do not like bitter or strong non-sweet flavors.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Some of this stuff is obvious, as noted. Kids generally do not like bitter or strong non-sweet flavors.

Except for this one. I was that oddball kid who drooled over blue and other stinky cheeses, olives, real sauerkraut, liver, and all other sorts of funky stuff.

Just the opposite. Don't recall being a picky eater, and loved - and still do - Brussels Sprouts and liver, especially chicken livers. But I used to love chicken gizzards, and now don't care for them much. The same for pineapple. Used to make pineapple sandwiches, but now I grudgingly will eat it only in small quantities.

Blue cheese, for sure, and "stinky" cheeses.

Dill pickles.

I remember the first time I ate blue cheese. I was about nine, and the cheese was in a salad dressing, and absolutely delicious. But our usual cheese back then was sharp cheddar cut from a hoop at a small grocer's, so strongish cheeses was what we had. To this day I love cheeses like blue cheese and feta.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Cavier when first tried was, well, way too salty and tasted like rotten fish. Now though, when applied in small quantities is a pleasure. Some brands are down right nasty smelling and tasting.

Food in general: my mother was a terrible cook so I grew up thinking overcooked and flavourless was standard. Vegetables could only be boiled, and required at least an hour to make sure they were cooked to death. Meat if roasted, in the oven the day before eating (not quite but seemed that way!).

When I left the parental home (at the earliest available opportunity), I accidently undercooked a steak to what I now know is medium, and considered putting it back under the grill, but then thought, no, I am hungry now! I ate it, and it was a revelation!

Top Bottom