What's new

Amsterdam

Hey folks, a few people have pinged me and asked me how my trip was, so I thought I would post a few notes. First of all, I should indicate I was in the area on business. I had an extra day and a half in Amsterdam at the end of my trip to see what was what.

Well, my net is that I wouldn't place Amsterdam high up on my list of places to visit if you haven't been to other places in Europe first. Sure, there are nice aspects - some decent (but ridiculously crowded) museums, interesting architecture, etc. But the real draw appears to be the endless succession of activities revolving around drugs and sex. That is interesting for a few hours, but gets boring real easily.

I spent the day hopping from neighborhood to neighborhood on the tram (the city has an excellent network of public transportation). There is lots of high-end shopping, but with the dollar so weak, it isn't really cost effective. I did duck into a few toiletry places to see if I could find any interesting shave gear, but only saw Gillette products for the most part. I did find a great tobacco store in the center of town, and drooled over the various pipes, etc. Of course, I couldn't resist sampling some Cuban cigars which I can't get here. :drool:

The museums are just packed with people, so it wasn't that enjoyable. Same story with the Anne Frank house. Interestingly there is a cafe as part of the museum, which I found a bit strange. How about a nice meal while you ponder mans inhumanity to man? :rolleyes:

The cafe's were very nice. This is one thing I love about Europe - areas densely packed with bars where you can walk from place to place, drink beer outside, and just relax. There aren't may places like that in the US. The food was a mixed bag, some good, some not so good.

Now of course, to the Red Light district. It is indeed everything it is cracked up to be and more. You can't walk two feet without plumes of marijuana and hashish smoke blowing into your face from the various "coffee shops". The prostitutes, despite my expectations, were for the most part drop-dead gorgeous. Not quite what I expected there. The whole area is packed arm to arm with college kids on benders and groups on bachelor parties. If I was about 15 years younger, I probably would feel differently, but I found the whole area rather sad.

In all, I am glad I went, but it wasn't a blockbuster experience for me.

I've yet to take a trip to Europe but Amsterdam just moved down the list of places I'd like to visit. Thanks for the perspective!

DoubleE said:
I've yet to take a trip to Europe but Amsterdam just moved down the list of places I'd like to visit. Thanks for the perspective!
GO to the diamond district and see if SWMBO lets you out of there alive...

I've been to Amsterdam three times and every time I go there I like it less. Not that I liked it much to start out, but it pales in comparison to other cities (and towns) in Europe.

With a 4-month old in the house, I was forbidden to take the digicam. My collegue took a bunch of pix, so if I can find some good ones I will post them

hahaha, I NEVER liked Amsterdam.....and I live in the Netherlands. You want to see a nice city? Go to Haarlem or Gouda for the cheesemarket or something like that. Amsterdam is for the sad sex&drugs people. Besides...if you want a coffee shop you don't have to go to Amsterdam, go to ANY major city in the NL and you'll find some there.

I've spent quite a lot of time in the Netherlands doing a 4 day 125 mile walk when I was in my twenties. A few friends always rounded off the trip with a few days in Amsterdam. I went once but never again.

Thanks Scott ! for the update wanted to know badly that im not the only one that DOES NOT even KNOW my own capital City..I mean I know it but I know what it stands for and I do not support it .

I was born in the Netherlands.. in a little Village back then were everyone knew everyone not so anymore its grown to be more of a Town now.

And thus I Hate anything that smells of CITY.. do not misunderstand me im not a HillBilly Country and Western dude... im as modernized as they come.

Ive studied 9 months in Amsterdam and even then I never went out and checked the city ! tells you enough aswell, but regret it now though I had a train ticket usable for a year to transport myself freely from my place to Amsterdam. I know what you mean about the Hookers.. they are not all BIG MAMA's :biggrin: the ones you liked are probably imported from Poland or Czech

Drugs, I dont use it , I dont need it , im an addict enough as it seems I have got RAD,SCAD thanks to B&B any Cocaine would ruine my bank account even more.

The best way to check out any new place soon as I found out thru my trip trhu Europe this year was going with a Bus tour or so that would have been the fastest way cost ya an hour or so and then you have the highlights.

Amsterdam is not the best city to checkout if you want to learn the Netherlands you'd better go check some small fisher's towns where people still dress in traditional clothing ! yes we have those..were you do not want to strand at night with your car not doing anything they might not open the door for strangers ! and everyone does KNOW everyone ! :eek:

Next time your in town Scott gimme a call and I'll show you the REAL Netherlands ,Amsterdam is just ****** up like NY City is .. "Your somebody ,or Nobody" no inbetweens....

The best place to go when your in Europe ? Prague by far , the most beautiful enchanting place ive ever been and I want to go back like yesterday! and the woman.. I dont even wanna think about them !!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

BEAUTIES !!!! :redface:

LX_Emergency said:
hahaha, I NEVER liked Amsterdam.....and I live in the Netherlands. You want to see a nice city? Go to Haarlem or Gouda for the cheesemarket or something like that. Amsterdam is for the sad sex&drugs people. Besides...if you want a coffee shop you don't have to go to Amsterdam, go to ANY major city in the NL and you'll find some there.
What's wrong with Alkmaar?

nothing. Haven't been there that much but what I've seen it's nice.
But I agree on Prague. I've found that to be the most beautifull city I've visited...and I've seen a few.

LX_Emergency said:
nothing. Haven't been there that much but what I've seen it's nice.
But I agree on Prague. I've found that to be the most beautifull city I've visited...and I've seen a few.
It is sooooo beautiful when they have the flower market.. One of the most lovely. And Scheveningen? And so many others? Goodness, the Netherlands is such a lovely country, the only things better than the cheese, and flowers, and gin are the people.

thanks. Amsterdam is just not a very good representative of our little country. And that's a shame because people think the whole country is like the Netherlands.

Good thread. I agree that Amsterdam isn't representative of the fine country of the Netherlands.

I have to say, though, being a gardener, I loved the flower markets in Amsterdam. Just wonderful. Unfortunately, one can't bring bulbs and such back to the US....:frown:

Scotto said:
Good thread. I agree that Amsterdam isn't representative of the fine country of the Netherlands.

I have to say, though, being a gardener, I loved the flower markets in Amsterdam. Just wonderful. Unfortunately, one can't bring bulbs and such back to the US....:frown:

Why NOT ? Just tell me what you need , Im building a japanese garden so I cant help you there with the bulbs, but if you like Tulips or any specific dutch flowers ? My father is a certified farming engineer , our little town has one of the best school for becomming a farmer people from other countries specially attend this school aswell. its the Harvard of farming of all farming schools in the Netherlands I think , if im wrong then say so other dutch folks on this board. except Wageningen has a school similar as good.

If I can help Scotto we can always diverse Customs I could make a shave package with a double door in the bottom with some rare bulbs ? :lol: :lol:

not the one you eat ! even though you must have learned by now in the time of Anne Frank they were eating this stuff instead of potatoes! :frown:

LX_Emergency said:
thanks. Amsterdam is just not a very good representative of our little country. And that's a shame because people think the whole country is like the Netherlands.

Where do you live LX? I've been to most parts of the country and loved everything but Amsterdam. My last trip was up North to visit relatives. Hung out in places like Leeuwarden, Gronigen, Dokkum, Leens, etc... Some of the most beautiful country in the world.

My grandparents immigrated from Holland and my mother-in-law was born there. I tend to visit there every couple of years.

I agree. It's a pitty most people think of Amsterdam first when thinking of The Netherlands.

letterk said:
Where do you live LX? I've been to most parts of the country and loved everything but Amsterdam. My last trip was up North to visit relatives. Hung out in places like Leeuwarden, Gronigen, Dokkum, Leens, etc... Some of the most beautiful country in the world.

My grandparents immigrated from Holland and my mother-in-law was born there. I tend to visit there every couple of years.

I agree. It's a pitty most people think of Amsterdam first when thinking of The Netherlands.

Wow the outback of the Netherlands, atleast I call those area's that way.
My old neighbours who I lived next to for 12 years came from Leeuwarden .
They speak their own language which isnt DUTCH its some mix of old Germanic dialect or so ? I cant understand it, most dialect in the Netherlands you can understand but Leeuwarden stand on its own the language is called "Fries"
most other districts of the Netherlands each has their own dialect but most of them you can quite follow. its like someone from NY or someone from Texas you can hear where a person comes from but I can still follow someone from Texas..not so from Leeuwarden !
There is lots of space up north at these cities. Leeuwarden specially lots of farmers and chees making people over there..if you want really nice space go to Sweden.

Top Bottom