What's new

Americans / Canadians: Manual Transmissions and You

My Thoughts on Manual Transmissions:

• I greatly prefer to drive standards

• I’m proficient in driving a standard but don't care to do so

• I don't know how to drive a standard but would love to learn

• I don’t know how to drive a standard and couldn't be bothered to learn!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I much prefer to drive manual.

I suspect another reason automatics are going to get more popular is that its easier for the dummies who text and drive.

If you are getting your kid a car, there is a better chance they'll not text if they are driving manual (just a theory).

Having driven in Los Angeles for awhile that freeway traffic is hell on the lifespan of a heavy duty twin disc clutch in a sports car. I love manuals but automatics are great for crawling along a freeway and I've had way more expenses with manual transmissions than automatic ones so there is that. FWIW I learned how to drive a manual taking an integra type-r off the lot after I purchased it.

A good manual transmission should be about bullet proof if you have a smooth clurch release (cars at least, not sure about pulling heavy loads). When I got my first real job when I was 19 I was looking at Mustang gt's and had never driven manual before. So every manual we looked at my Dad test drove it for me. Even as passenger I preferred the responsiveness and feel of the manuals. So we found one about an hour away in great shape, low mileage, dark blue with silver stripes 07 gt. He showed me a bit during test drive and decided I wanted it. Dad threw me the keys and said "it's yours, now drive it home". So I did and learned real quick. Luckily from manhattan kansas to home isn't real busy and the short throw 5 speed shifter was nice and the clutch very smooth on that car.

Still miss that car, woman ran a stop sign going about 20 over the limit in my old neighborhood and tboned me at 40 mph. There was a bright street light at intersection and a bit of a rise the other driver was coming over from her side. She was going so fast I didn't see her until she was at intersection and I swerved away as much as I could at last second. If she'd of been driving a bigger car likely wouldve seriously injured or killed my wife and 2 year old son. The door was crushed into passenger seat.

Last edited:
I suspect that the demise of manual transmissions is due to several reasons . . . . .convenience, performance (fuel efficiency and quickness of modern automatics), and people texting and eating in their cars. I never minded driving an manual in stop and go traffic. Most kids these days have no interest in cars . . . . why would they want to shift gears? All of the cars that I've had, have had manuals. The trucks, on the other hand, have been automatics. I find it sad that you can't even get a manual in some of the exotic sports cars.

I see both sides of the argument. My wife drives our SUV, which is auto, I drive her old Civic, which is standard. Autos are more convienient, Standards get better gas mileage and have better reliability and longevity.

I fall into the missing option of I can drive either, have no preference, but can't the car I want with a manual transmission anyways.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I've had manuals with everything from big block V8's to tiny in line fours, and every one was a hoot. My two current cars have CVT's and paddle shifters for when you want to pretend you're driving a real transmission.

I'm proficient with a manual transmission. When I was young, my cars had manual transmission, basic radio, and manual windows. It saved money. Nowadays, I see driving mostly as a necessity. So, automatic is more convenient. A few years ago, I did test drive a Dodge Challenge HEMI with a standard transmission. It was fun!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
StubbleTrouble:
Back when we was young, the Mrs. and I learned to drive a standard (manual transmission on the [FONT=&amp]steering wheel column and also [/FONT]gear shifting 'on the floor'[FONT=&amp]), [/FONT]but as we got older...the Mrs. and I prefer automatic transmissions. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"The cars we drive say a lot about us". Alexandra Paul

There isn't an option for me. I guess I can say I prefer to drive manual, but going off the other options of "don't know how to drive manual", I say I don't know how to drive an automatic.

if I ever made an omission with a twist, that was a perfect example!

Most kids these days have no interest in cars . . . . why would they want to shift gears?

[FONT=&quot]A stick shift [/FONT][FONT=&quot]vehicle[/FONT][FONT=&quot] is still the best [/FONT][FONT=&quot]anti[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-[/FONT][FONT=&quot]theft device[/FONT][FONT=helvetica neue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] you can have. Most Millennials don't know how to drive them. [/FONT]

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Also makes learning to ride a motorcycle so much easier.

My first vehicle was a Puch moped, because mopeds were legal for 14 year olds. The day I turned 16 I bought a Yamaha 250 cc Enduro (what the kids call dual sport these days). That thing was a blast, and I somehow managed not to kill myself on it.

A good manual transmission should be about bullet proof if you have a smooth clutch release (cars at least, not sure about pulling heavy loads)....
I concur. I once owned a pickup with over 120K miles and the clutch and transmission were going strong when it was sold. I currently have a VW car with over 150K miles and even though nearly ever other part is/has gone wrong with it, the clutch and manual transmission are strong and are the reason the car is still in the driveway.

I miss both manual transmissions and vehicles you can work on yourself.

I've found that, as many others have, manual transmissions shine when it comes to adverse driving conditions.

It is a crying shame that full sized pickups aren't available with manual transmissions. Those old F-150s from the 80s with a 300 cubic inch six cylinder, coupled with a bulldog transmission, were some of the best trucks made.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It is a crying shame that full sized pickups aren't available with manual transmissions. Those old F-150s from the 80s with a 300 cubic inch six cylinder, coupled with a bulldog transmission, were some of the best trucks made.
Short of running it without oil, you'd be hard pressed to kill the old Ford 300 straight sixes.

Top Bottom