What's new

American straight razors

I purchased a Genco from an estate in Canada. Never been used, came in a sealed box. I estimate it to be around 1845.
No. Don’t think so . Stamping alone indicates after 1900 or so and Genco was in business from 1916 to around the late 60’s.
So a specific year of 1845 doesn’t quite fit.
I’ve got maybe 20 or so Geneva/Gencos .

I purchased a Genco from an estate in Canada. Never been used, came in a sealed box. I estimate it to be around 1845.

Genco is a great brand. My understanding is the trademark was used from 1916 through to 1965. Prior to that it would have been Geneva Cutlery Co. Regardless, it's always nice to find an old razor in new condition.

I had forgotten about this until the other day when I was going though unfinished projects...

The Electric Cutlery Company in Newark, NJ.

I never finished the shorty conversion I was working on... still needs scales (a skill I have not gotten very good at!) and an edge, but:

electric2.jpg

electric1.jpg

Not sure if there any historians out there, but in my collecting I have become over the years interested in the American straights which on my find floating around from time to time which were produced from say the 1870's to the 1930's in the United States - anyone have any stories or history on these razors?

One particular bit of history with a personal twist, I found a razor, marked "Case". Now Case pocket knives have been well known for many years, so it made sense that they might have made razors at one point; did a little research into the things - found that there was a little razor manufacturing concern in Western New York, specifically in Collins Center, NY that made straight razors at least through the 1920's. It was (is) a little town. Fascinating thing, my grandfather married the girl next door from Collin Center, my now deceased father was born there with all of his family, and they had lived in Collins Center for generations. Never got a chance to ask him about the stout and excellent straight razors and knives being made there, as he passed before I became aware.

18 February 1902, patent for the American Double Hollow Grind.

DSCN0920b.jpg

DSCN0919b.jpg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Genco is a great brand. My understanding is the trademark was used from 1916 through to 1965. Prior to that it would have been Geneva Cutlery Co. Regardless, it's always nice to find an old razor in new condition.
I have a Geneva Tiger and it is a fantastic blade.

Top Bottom