What's new

American Safety Razor Dating Chart - Gem, Ever Ready, Kampfe Star

Here is the very last Gem razor the Contour II. Pictures of multiple variants which one is the earlier and which is the later I don't know. But based on the Contour handle the one labeled Variant I is most likely the earlier version and Variant II being the later.

Variant I
c11a.jpg c11b.jpg

Variant II
c11c.jpg c11d.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a Gem Contour the main functioning difference between this and the Contour II is this one is a push button and the Contour II is has the old style thumb flip lever on the cap.
c1a.jpg c1b.jpg

A couple of minor variants.

The etched cap MMOC.

IMG_20190512_152532-01.jpg

And the nickel plated (rather than chrome) Guiding Eye

IMG_20190512_152732-01.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

You guys! The density of SE awesomeness in this thread has gone off the charts. Thanks![emoji106][emoji106]:clap::clap::clap::punk::punk:

Bonus for me - confirmation that my MM guiding eye is nickel plate!
Yep they definitely came in both nickel and chrome, have had both.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Here is the Star Jr razor the handle came in black or red and razors heads in silver color (not sure the plating type) and gold.

starjr1.jpg starjr2.jpg starjr3.jpg starjr4.jpg

Here is an anomaly either this variation is missing on the chart or this is just a mismatch or a Star or Star Jr head with a slimmer bakelite handle you normally would see on Star DE razors.

star1.jpg star2.jpg star3.jpg

No razors, just some historic documents.

The historic 1919 ASR Consolidation on paper (9/25/1919):
1919_ASRConsolidation25Sept.jpg

The American Safety Razor Corporation Headquarters, Jay and Johnson Street, Brooklyn, New York (1923):
ASR_Headquarters.png

An ASR Stock dating 1927:
VIRGINIA-1927-American-Safety-Razor-Corporation-Stock-Certificate.jpg

ASR workers committee on strike asking a wage increase (1950):
asr_strike_may11-1950.jpg

Last edited:
Posted this wild-caught vintage virgin guiding eye gold-plated Micromatic set in the SE acquisition thread, but the photo belongs here as well.

91212A60-134F-4260-ACF0-5B8E7B1F39F2.jpeg

92CD5BF7-3615-4158-80CF-A3646A18315F.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
No razors, just some historic documents.

The historic 1919 ASR Consolidation on paper (9/25/1919):
View attachment 981464

The American Safety Razor Corporation Headquarters, Jay and Johnson Street, Brooklyn, New York (1923):
View attachment 981457

An ASR Stock dating 1927:
View attachment 981458

ASR workers committee on strike asking a wage increase (1950):
View attachment 981463
Interesting information, I did not know that Gem(A.S.R) had a blade plant in Canada. It seems that the big 3 razor company's Gillette, Schick & Gem had plants in Canada to make a foot hold for the future.

Here is an anomaly either this variation is missing on the chart or this is just a mismatch or a Star or Star Jr head with a slimmer bakelite handle you normally would see on Star DE razors.

View attachment 980347 View attachment 980348 View attachment 980349

Not an anomaly, those are pretty common, it was omitted from the chart by mistake. The Star "slim" handle is different from Gem's. It's the same handle used by Star on their DE model, adapted to fit the SE head:

1930s Star Double-Edge Three-Piece Safety Razor Set.jpg

Interesting information, I did not know that Gem(A.S.R) had a blade plant in Canada. It seems that the big 3 razor company's Gillette, Schick & Gem had plants in Canada to make a foot hold for the future.

I don't know whether Gem had a plant in Canada. Star surely had one by 1921:
1921_Star_Worldwide.png

Top Bottom