I bought an American Razor.
Expert Barber 400 Razor 5/8"
Union Cutlery Co. Olean, N.Y.
Half Hollow,singing razor.
1.jpg

5.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

Well I do not know why people are hung up on American Made, it is know fact we do not produce much STEEL in the USA any longer. Japanese, Koreans, and German still product world class steel.

Many "American" Knife makers who talk about made in USA knifes, are made with imported steel, something to think on when buying what you think is Made in USA.

The Made in USA sticker or branding laws says, certain percentage of work on, or material in product must be made in or work in manufacturing done in USA.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
After diligent research and taking into careful consideration all suggestions, I have decided on a ⅝ Torrey #2.

Vendor's pics.
Rusty and scratched according to the vendor but was well within my budget at US$48 including shipping to Australia. I should receive it within about three weeks. No the wait begins.

Thank you to all who helped guide me in this purchase.
Excellent choice!

OP I know you got your American razor, and Torrey is near the top of my "American Value/Collector/Stillgreatshavers" list. Torrey, Genco/Geneva, and Unions are my first recommendations for reasonably priced GREAT shavers. Case made great razors, but they're a bit pricier.

Don't stop at one Americam though. I have numerous Sheffield, German, Swedish, and American razors. Admittedly, going back much before 1900 we Americans weren't even relevant in making quality razors. Beginning in the late 1800s and early 1900s, New York and PA steel took off. Some razors rhat could very much hold their own against most English and German razors came to be. I highly recommend a 3/4+ Genco full or extra full hollow. I also recommend a Union Spike. I will also throw an oddball recommendation out there. The only razor I know of produced in the SouthEastern US was by Dixie Manufacturing in Union City, Georgia. They primarily made milder steel farm implements but for some reason got into making straight razors. I don't even know if they ever made knives, but it's kind of shocking how good their razors are to be only produced for a few years by a company primarily concerned with making plow shares and disc blades. I have 2 and they are top tier shavers. Not my best. But slightly above my middle of the pack blades. Freemont Ohio turned out some nice razors too.

Ahh so many razors to collect, so little time.

Genco is always mentioned very off hand as "They're good too", and maybe it's because they're plentiful and cheap, but in my collection I find them reliably high preference - let me however say where a big part of that comes from: I love nice engravings, and Genco made plenty of them. I have a Genco improved eagle engraving, a Genco SS St Louis luxury liner souvenir, a Genco Magnetic Steel, and I think another I can't recall (maybe one of my Roosevelt souvenirs, or one of the world's fair souvenirs).

Every one of them is a great shaver, but truly they are stand outs in my collection for the quality of their engraving coupled with their great edge, and the fact that gencos are easy to find with great engravings? Hard to beat. All the most sought after, highly desirable blades out there that shave so well, and these are for some reason looked past so frequently, despite also shaving great, and bearing great interesting historical arts at the same time

I think this is an interesting idea for collecting: get a straight razor from every country in the world that made them. I have 3 countries represented. I would have a long way to go!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I think this is an interesting idea for collecting: get a straight razor from every country in the world that made them. I have 3 countries represented. I would have a long way to go!
I was thinking the same. Not just collecting but also honing them up and regularly shaving with them. The only country that I am really worried about is Pakistan. They don't have the greatest of reputations for their many SRs. Then again, neither did China but they have lifted their game a lot.

Pakistan steel is terrible at holding an edge so I would never suggest anybody trying one, not even my enemy. A Torrey is an amazing shaver and are well balanced, I have 3 and some are quite awesome looking with ice scales, scalloped backs, locking scales, and mother of pearl tang (check out the "double concave w/locking scales for all the bells and whistles). USA razors sharpen nicely and can hold an edge, I'm looking forward to you honing yours up and giving it a try and giving an honest review.

Larry

Many good USA brands to choose from. All will shave.

To pick one though - Robeson, specifically - a 6/8 half hollow..

Top Bottom