What's new

American Made Razor Recommendations?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
After looking through my modest collection of SRs, I realised that I do not have one that was made in the USA ☹️.

I would prefer one that is older (say pre-WWII), fully manufactured in the USA (including the steel), can be honed to shave well and should cost under about US$50 plus shipping.

Any suggestions of manufactures?

Anything from Little Valley, New York.

In my rotation, I have
Green Lizard 131 by Cattaraugus Cutlery
Temperite 25 by Case Cutlery

Some of the New York companies, such as Case and Genco
moved to Pennsylvania which was a big steel producer
until everything got outsourced overseas.

Have a dozen or more Genco and Genevas( reasonably priced) Union , Case, Curtin & Clark, Cattaraugus ( hard to find I think), Electric ( have a couple And ones a beauty!)several Torreys, Shumates, a lot of Robesons( around a dozen-always sweet) Shapleighs, couple of beautiful Wilberts, Gold Bugs, Ek-Seb, Diamond a lot of Unions.
I have more but these are the most popular you might find.

Love these old pics. Quite a few Cutlers in that area besides just these.

Attachments

• IMG_2583.jpeg
    IMG_2583.jpeg
    462.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2584.jpeg
    IMG_2584.jpeg
    436.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2585.jpeg
    IMG_2585.jpeg
    489.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2586.jpeg
    IMG_2586.jpeg
    425 KB · Views: 15
I was thinking of your WWII reference, and I recalled that I have a Camillus razor
and that Camillus had a contract for WWII GI pocket knives,
and those *are* collectable.

I searched B&B for Camillus razor, and I found a couple of posts
in threads which might also be worth looking at in their entirety.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I was thinking of your WWII reference, and I recalled that I have a Camillus razor
and that Camillus had a contract for WWII GI pocket knives,
and those *are* collectable.

I searched B&B for Camillus razor, and I found a couple of posts
in threads which might also be worth looking at in their entirety.

Thank you. Very much appreciated.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
After diligent research and taking into careful consideration all suggestions, I have decided on a ⅝ Torrey #2.

Vendor's pics.
s-l1600(3).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600(1).jpg

s-l1600(2).jpg

Rusty and scratched according to the vendor but was well within my budget at US$48 including shipping to Australia. I should receive it within about three weeks. No the wait begins.

Thank you to all who helped guide me in this purchase.

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Torreys are great. I also can wholeheartedly recommend all that have been mentioned here, but I have a partidular affinity for the Union Spike. It is fairly easy to put a 7 set together. Watch the toe.

After diligent research and taking into careful consideration all suggestions, I have decided on a ⅝ Torrey #2.

Vendor's pics.
Rusty and scratched according to the vendor but was well within my budget at US$48 including shipping to Australia. I should receive it within about three weeks. No the wait begins.

I was going to recommend a Torrey! The 2 I have are great! Hope it serves you well. Nice find!

Vendor's pics.

To shiny for me ;)

Reactions: GNR
Top Bottom