What's new

American in need of translation or context

What is the meaning of the phrase "good on ya" and when do you use it?

I have an idea of the meaning but I am unsure when it is used.

If i'm not mistaken I believe the term is equal to an American saying "Well done" or "Good job." Not 100% but when I've heard this phrase in context, it makes sense to me that his is what it means. For an example one might say, "Oh, you shaved your entire face without a nick r' weeper? Well good on ya! I may just be making a fool of myself here, lol. Hopefully someone else chimes in.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
If i'm not mistaken I believe the term is equal to an American saying "Well done" or "Good job." Not 100% but when I've heard this phrase in context, it makes sense to me that his is what it means. For an example one might say, "Oh, you shaved your entire face without a nick r' weeper? Well good on ya! I may just be making a fool of myself here, lol. Hopefully someone else chimes in.

Good on ya mate. Yes it means congratulations, well done.

However it can also be used as a sarcastic remark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good on ya mate. Yes it means congratulations, well done.

However it can also be used as a sarcastic remark.

Very clever advertising. Thank you and thanks to all who helped me out.

Just so I look like I am trying too hard, I will end with

---Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Legion

Staff member
I most often hear that said sarcastically.

As in, you accidentally jump a pool ball off the table, knocking over a bikies beer.

Your mate turns to you with a worried expression. "Aww... Good on ya..."

In England "Good on ya" or "Good man" is a friendly way of saying good work, good job, congratulations or well done

EG. If someone says "I'll get the beers in" or "The drinks are on me", two likely responses would be "Good on ya" or "Good man"

I most often hear that said sarcastically.

As in, you accidentally jump a pool ball off the table, knocking over a bikies beer.

Your mate turns to you with a worried expression. "Aww... Good on ya..."

+1 :thumbsup:

I think it is somewhat the equivalent of "Bless your heart" used in the US.

+1 :thumbsup:

I think it is somewhat the equivalent of "Bless your heart" used in the US.

Well yes, but that expression is only used in the southern U.S. Think Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and possibly Texas. It is always preceded by "Well," and ends up with some salutation like, "...you sweet thing." It is also common to hear, "Yes sir" and "Yes Ma'am" a lot in the South. They are top rate with politeness and hospitality.

And the old chestnuts the correct spelling of
Aluminium and Colour...
[emoji4][emoji106][emoji1604]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
And the old chestnuts the correct spelling of
Aluminium and Colour...
[emoji4][emoji106][emoji1604]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try typing flavor (errr flavo-u-r) B&B software auto misspells it.
I'm starting to think they don't like U. :)

almost every phrase you'll hear will have both positive and negative meanings, depending on if you've done a good job (i.e nice work), or just spilled a beer on a massive psychopath (i.e well done you ***, looks what you've gone and done now'!) Aussies tend not to take their conversation too seriously so most things are in good humour, well, except spilling beer!

Top Bottom