What's new

Ambrose Strops new lineup

Hello all,

As I'm new to straight shaving (my first razor is on the way, a TI french forum LE), I was looking for a first strop and sent an email to Ambrose. He replied very fast and showed me the new strops that are available now, which will also show up on his new website in around a week.

So basically what do you guys think about Ambrose strops, does anybody tried his "diamond strops"?

Thanks guys!

New hose strop
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sharpening "diamond" strop
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Beginner strop
proxy.php

GET A CHEAP STROP THAT YOU DON'T MIND RUINING AS YOUR FIRST STROP!

Sorry, all caps and bold because it is important. I am still new and haven't nicked my strop yet, but everyone says I will. There has to be something to it if everyone is saying the same thing. I for one had heard Ambrose was going to make some new strops (I heard really good things about them) and was going to try and get one if I could to save for a later date when I was more comfortable with stropping. But definitely not a good idea to get something so nice for your first strop.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I agree with you but see above he has three new strops, one is for beginners which seems very interesting and very reasonably priced.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If you dont mind possibly slicing and ruining a strop, get which ever suits your fancy. Ambrose has a great reputation for top notch products and service so you can't go wrong with whichever you get.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I agree with you but see above he has three new strops, one is for beginners which seems very interesting and very reasonably priced.

Hmmm where are you guys seeing the difference and the prices? I seemed to have missed this heh. The only site I get when I go to Ambrose's site is one that says coming soon. My bad on not noticing multiple strops and prices.

I have to say I wouldn't mind getting one that is a beginner strop but 3 inches wide so I don't have to worry about an x pattern or the half moon deal. Either way those strops do look VERY nice which is why I will probably grab at least a nice one so I can have it when I am more comfortable.

Sign up for his mailing list and you'll get an email of new strops available before he makes it public on the website or forums. Basically email list members get "first dibs". :001_smile

His new line looks great... can't wait to try them out!

Hmmm where are you guys seeing the difference and the prices? I seemed to have missed this heh. The only site I get when I go to Ambrose's site is one that says coming soon. My bad on not noticing multiple strops and prices.

I have to say I wouldn't mind getting one that is a beginner strop but 3 inches wide so I don't have to worry about an x pattern or the half moon deal. Either way those strops do look VERY nice which is why I will probably grab at least a nice one so I can have it when I am more comfortable.

No worries ;-) In fact it's not on his website yet but he sent me the pics of the three strops he'll have soon so...

Anyway thanks guys for your feedback. Im' debating eaither I'll take just the beginner strop or save a few pennies and get both (lower price if we take more than one)...

Get em all! :w00t:

Use the beginner until you are comfortable moving up, then you can use it as a travel strop (if it is still usable). Get the sharpening strop and use some diamond spray on it for touch ups.

Don't fear the X stroke! It really is quite easy. I realize it is all a matter of personal preference, but I am not a big fan of three inch Strops, they seem kinda clunky. Now 2 1/2 inch, perfect!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I am a firm believer in x strokes on hones and strops as it ensures every part of the edge gets some love. Once you become proficient the width of the strop is almost irrelevant, and as was noted 2-1/2 is sweet spot IMO too.

Thanks guys! Well I simply ordered his beginner strop in horse leather. I think I'll stick to it for a few months, and then maybe order something better... The beginner is 2inch wide, for me it's not a big deal to use "X strokes"...
Thanks a lot for your replies!

Wow look at those strops! Can anyone use his website? I tried going to it, but it says it is under construction...

They are beauties, can't wait to get my hands on them! He is currently upgrading the site. If you sign up for his mailing list you will get updates before they go up on his website. :thumbup1:

I have 2 of Jose"s Strops, and a new one on the way.
I like his work and he"s a pleasure to work with - and he"s been very helpful when answering all of my questions.

Man, that new dark one is beautiful. I just don't see myself using anything other than my Kanayama now though. Maybe I need a travel strop (though I do have 2 of Ambrose's already for that....).

Top Bottom