What's new

Ambrose custom Strop

Finally came home and was able to pick up my package. I haven't had a chance to use it but I'm impressed with the material. I think we all know the craftsmanship is not going to be an issue so the first impression so far has been very positive.

I've never used a cordovan strop in my years but it is an odd item compared to the materials I have. I almost don't want to use it because it feels so luxurious and afraid I'm afraid to nick it.

Finally came home and was able to pick up my package. I haven't had a chance to use it but I'm impressed with the material. I think we all know the craftsmanship is not going to be an issue so the first impression so far has been very positive.

I've never used a cordovan strop in my years but it is an odd item compared to the materials I have. I almost don't want to use it because it feels so luxurious and afraid I'm afraid to nick it.

The Horween Cordovan from Jose is a very easy material to strop on, smooooth...:thumbup1:
enjoy...:wink2:

Last edited:
The Horween Cordovan from Jose is a very easy material to strop on, smooooth...:thumbup1:
enjoy...:wink2:

Short review after a day is :thumbup1:.

It felt like patent leather but after a few passes you really notice the smooth draw from it. Not really much draw but the edge on a W&B I honed today was very nice.

I'll give it another week for a proper review:wink2:

I received one of the first Cordovan strops Jose made and it has been a real treat to use. I am now looking forward for my Corto to arrive....:thumbup1:

Not sure how many months I have had my 2.5 inch Spanish horsehide strop from Ambrose, but I am every bit as happy with it as when I first got it. It is beautiful, easy to use, and efficient. No wear whatsoever. If anything, it is better than ever for the use.

I had used a 2.0 inch strap I got from Jose that I pasted with Dovo white--a wonderful thing in my experience--so I have been very content with the 2.0 inch width which seems to be his standard on these strops. I think I would rather have a 2 inch strap frankly, and I do not think I would ever go to a strop wider than 2.5 inches.

I have never used a Japanese cordovan strop, but have used quite a few others. This one is the best I have ever used.

I just gave my Ambrose Cordovan strop the ol' tallow lather treatment (AOS Sandalwood FWIW...), and that shined it up quite nicely!:thumbup1:

Bought a strop from Jose and got it in just this week. I finally got to use it tonight. Granted I am very new to this but have been using a small strop I got from Whippeddog.

First it is a piece of art, very impressive work. I knew it was different after the first stroke. So much easier to use, almost like I knew what I was doing :lol: Did 20 on the linen and 50 on the leather.

Did a test shave and it seemed like the razor was much smoother to use.

Two thumbs up :thumbup:

Told 'ya :001_smile. Now just wait until it ages a bit and a couple of lather applications... really an amazing surface on that strop!

I received my Corto strop and the presentation, material, and finish work is second to none..... :a14:..Jose, Thank you!

Mine is quickly becoming my go to strop. I pretty much use it whenever I've not been drinking (Use my Bismark when I have been). My duck is still on my wall for the occasional use, but this one is probably my 95% of the time strop now.

Recieved mine this week. I haven't used it yet, as I also recieved a brand new blade. Can't wait to try it out since I like the feel!!!

Just placed an order for a Classico version of the Spanish horsehide... I won't be receiving it for a while, but I want to say that Jose is a GREAT guy to work with. Quick to respond, and great at creating a product to your request... He helped me get a strop set up exactly how I wanted it, and I can't wait to give it a go! Come on USPS!

I'm in love with my new Corto! I questioned the shorter length before using it, then measured my normal stropping technique on my TM. I only ever used 12" anyway. The Corto is beautiful, well-made, and a pleasure to use. Thanx, Jose.

Christopher

Jose is definitely a great guy to work with. I have a feeling this may become your #1 strop...:001_smile

Good thing I don't have a No.1 strop... Yet... The one I use most is a Kangaroo strop, then SRD English Bridle tied with Tony Miller Horsehide... My SRD modular paddle... An antique Loom strop... Tony Miller's latigo... Another Roo strop...

I have strop problems.

Just got my Ambrose "Classico" Shell Cordovan and put it to work with my Puma. Absolutely beautiful craftsmanship, buttery soft leather with a very light draw. Thanks Jose - this strop delivered an absolutely brilliant shave!

Top Bottom