What's new

Amazon Tabac WCS sale?

Going through the old news from the insolvency 2019/2020 it doesn’t look like that M&W was the culprit as the main troubles for Dreiring and their owner Kappus came from the liquid soap segment and low margins in their product portfolio.

Being on a shaving forum everything is viewed through that angle but I totally forgot that this is an absolute niche nowadays. So the bulk of Dreiring‘s production was clearly not shaving soap and this was also not the reason for their troubles.

Apologies, but with this data the explanation of WCS makes totally sense.
I tip my hat to you for doing the due diligence.

Oops! This soap with jar is on sale for $12.68, no wait, it was supposed to be $22.68. A slight typo there. They probably wondered why they were selling so much faster than usual...well, some of you guys got a great deal on that. You should cherish it!

And if someone bought a dozen at $12.68 and receive the tallow version, they win the wetshavng jackpot deal of the year !

Thanks for reaching out.

Since early last year, the tabac soap has changed to the newer vegan formulation since the soap maker they used went out of business
I’m not sure if this works out. The producer that went bust in 2020 was Dreiring (they also did the Fine soaps). Dalli (owner of M&W) owned Dreiring from 1997 until 2004 and then sold it 2005.

Either Dalli/Dreiring had a contract to keep production of M&W soaps there or they already moved the production of M&W products back in 2004.

If now for instance M&W in 2020 initiated the move to go vegan and closed the hypothetical contract with Dreiring then THIS might have been the last straw that broke the operation…
Could WCS have confused Tabac with Fine (which they also sell)? Dalli had/has many of its own plants.

(FWIW, Dreiring-Werke, ex-maker of Fine, became independent in 2001, before being acquired by Kappus in 2005, per de.wikipedia.org.)

Could be, but Fine soaps have Tallow in the ingredients. At least according to their website
Could WCS have confused Tabac with Fine (which they also sell)? Dalli had/has many of its own plants.

(FWIW, Dreiring-Werke, ex-maker of Fine, became independent in 2001, before being acquired by Kappus in 2005, per de.wikipedia.org.)

Yes, new (made in Italy) Fine soap is still tallow-based.

I was thinking perhaps WCS might have confused maker of tallow-based Tabac with maker of recently discontinued Fine.

Yes, new (made in Italy) Fine soap is still tallow-based.

I was thinking perhaps WCS might have confused maker of tallow-based Tabac with maker of recently discontinued Fine.
Recently discontinued Fine had tallow in it too (the hard pucks). I believe that was the one that was made by the Tabac producer (or distributor or whatever)... but as far as I know both the previous Fine soap and the current one both have tallow in the ingredients.

Recently discontinued Fine...I believe was made by the Tabac producer (or distributor or whatever)...
Tallow-based Tabac and discontinued (made in Netherlands/Germany) Fine had very similar formulae.
But the Dreiring (Fine) factory was owned by Kappus; and Dalli (owner of Tabac) had its own factories.
I suppose there's a possibility (as mentioned earlier in this thread) that Dalli outsourced to Kappus/Dreiring, but I can't confirm this.

You are right, I'll copy the Wki details underneath. There was/is also a connection with Henkel as they are also based in Krefeld and distributed FA soap for Dreiring.

Wiki
1997–2004
On January 1st, 1997 Dalli-Werke GmbH & Co.KG from the Wirtz family took over the Dreiring company . The Three Ring-Werk GmbH was founded in 2001 spun off as an independent company. The company was strategically repositioned as a contract manufacturer.

2005 until today
2005 took over M. Kappus Soap Factory GmbH & Co. , the three-ring GmbH , now three-ring-Werk GmbH & Co.KG is. The strategic direction was retained. Together with the Dreiring company , Kappus is the largest soap producer in Western Europe .

In September 2018, the Kappus Group and the Dreiring-Werk Krefeld filed for bankruptcy. 40 employees were laid off in September 2019. The final end was sealed on January 27, 2020, when the insolvency administrator published the news at a works meeting that Dreiring-Werk GmbH will cease operations and close the plant by September 30, 2020 at the latest.

A NDR camera team visited the soap factory in 2017 for a report on the plietsch program . [2]

facts and figures
In 2005 Dreiring-Werk GmbH & Co.KG had 130 employees and a production capacity of 35,000 t of basic soap per year. Sales of EUR 21.9 million were achieved in contract production. Half of the production is destined for abroad. 180 million pieces of soap can be produced on five high-speed lines and 60 million pieces on three flexible lines. The product range includes bars of fine soap in the wrapper and in folding boxes, shaving soaps, shaving creams in jars, transparent soaps, soap noodles as an intermediate product, technical soaps and washing aids.

Has anyone tried the vegan version?
Very few reports. Here is one from @theklaw. He is in the UK and has very hard water, so that might be a factor.

So, I tested Tabac's new formula twice now... and each time I was left very disappointed with the performance.
The quality of the lather appears to be quite poor, in comparison to the previous formulation; it never had that rich, oily consistency that feels protective and slick on your face. This new one didn't feel slick or protective at all. I even made sure to spend extra time building and hydrating the lather on the second attempt, but it just never felt slick and protective. I felt like I was shaving with a poor quality bath soap, rather than a shaving soap. I didn't even finish the first pass before aborting the mission and changing soaps. Even when I hold the wet puck of Tabac in my hands, it still doesn't feel very slick.

If anybody else is able to get better results with this new formula, please let me know. In the meantime, this soap will be making its way into my bath soap rotation.

This has inspired everybody interested to go on a panic buying spree for the old Tabac formula. At this rate, it might be years before they can report on the new stuff.

It would be good to get some more people reporting their experience before coming to any firm conclusions, though.

Top Bottom