What's new

Amazon Tabac WCS sale?

WCS does have the bowl with soap for $12.68 on their website right now. Not including shipping though, not sure how much that would be but their FS kicks in at $45 order.

E705697B-2D7A-4108-AB1D-A76A77379C50.jpeg

from the WCS site

Just because they still have the original ingredient list with tallow on the description does not mean that the tallow soap will ship.

I would verify before ordering a dozen bowls. ;)

An email to check got the following response.

Thanks for reaching out.

Since early last year, the tabac soap has changed to the newer vegan formulation since the soap maker they used went out of business

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Thanks for reaching out.

Since early last year, the tabac soap has changed to the newer vegan formulation since the soap maker they used went out of business
WCS has sold out now. Thanks so much, guys! I'll have to make do.

It will be interesting to see which formulation folks actually receive. :)

Thanks for reaching out.

I’m not sure if this works out. The producer that went bust in 2020 was Dreiring (they also did the Fine soaps). Dalli (owner of M&W) owned Dreiring from 1997 until 2004 and then sold it 2005.

Either Dalli/Dreiring had a contract to keep production of M&W soaps there or they already moved the production of M&W products back in 2004.

If now for instance M&W in 2020 initiated the move to go vegan and closed the hypothetical contract with Dreiring then THIS might have been the last straw that broke the operation…

I’m not sure if this works out. The producer that went bust in 2020 was Dreiring (they also did the Fine soaps). Dalli (owner of M&W) owned Dreiring from 1997 until 2004 and then sold it 2005.

Either Dalli/Dreiring had a contract to keep production of M&W soaps there or they already moved the production of M&W products back in 2004.

If now for instance M&W in 2020 initiated the move to go vegan and closed the hypothetical contract with Dreiring then THIS might have been the last straw that broke the operation…
You could flip it the other way: Tabac devested itself of Dreiring when it saw that the manufacture of soaps was a low margin operation with little growth potential. They subsequently pivoted the business towards fragrances. Pandemic comes along and that low margin business doesn't have a robust enough balance sheet to weather the storm.

But who knows. Not me.

You could flip it the other way: Tabac devested itself of Dreiring when it saw that the manufacture of soaps was a low margin operation with little growth potential. They subsequently pivoted the business towards fragrances. Pandemic comes along and that low margin business doesn't have a robust enough balance sheet to weather the storm.

But who knows. Not me.
Going through the old news from the insolvency 2019/2020 it doesn’t look like that M&W was the culprit as the main troubles for Dreiring and their owner Kappus came from the liquid soap segment and low margins in their product portfolio.

Being on a shaving forum everything is viewed through that angle but I totally forgot that this is an absolute niche nowadays. So the bulk of Dreiring‘s production was clearly not shaving soap and this was also not the reason for their troubles.

Apologies, but with this data the explanation of WCS makes totally sense.

It beehoves the many fine gents here who bought this Tabac bowl from WCS in the last year from this product page to check if they actually got the vegan version and are not aware as not many read the ingredients since this news didn't spring up in the like light past the last few weeks.
Now THAT is a really interesting question to ask.

Top Bottom