What's new

Amazon has 100 Personna labs for $9.95

I don't think they are the Personna lab blues, they have to have comfort coated on the box to be Lab blues. The blade will have Super on it and Personna inked on both faces. The Lab blues all have super on it and I believe it refers to the super sharp grind and stropping to make it special.
You're correct, these are not lab blues, they're platinum chromes by Edgewell, made in Germany. Not a bad blade, but not lab blues, which are USA made by American Safety Razor. Blues will also be wrapped in plain white paper, which throws a lot of people off when they see a blue wrapper.
It's confusing, easy miss, it's the thought that counts.

You're correct, these are not lab blues, they're platinum chromes by Edgewell, made in Germany. Not a bad blade, but not lab blues, which are USA made by American Safety Razor. Blues will also be wrapped in plain white paper, which throws a lot of people off when they see a blue wrapper.
It's confusing, easy miss, it's the thought that counts.
I was not aware of that. Thanks! In that case the real Labs are going for $13.74 still not a bad deal.

Personna nomenclature can be quite confusing.

The Platinum Chrome blades used to be made in Israel. They were commonly packaged in red wrappers and boxes, so they were affectionately called Israeli Reds. The same blades were sold in the UK market in blue packaging. The Israeli plant has been closed. The Platinum Chrome blades are now made in Germany in the same plant that has been making Wilkinson Sword Classic blades, which are also fine blades. The Israeli blades are still available, but at inflated pricing.

I am a little suspicious of the blades listed as the blades are stamped Platinum Chrome, but there is no mention of Platinum on the packaging. Thus, the blades might possibly be similar to what was once known as Israeli Personnas or Crystal blades. Those were stainless steel, but not platinum chrome coated. I would be more inclined to purchase them if the package said Platinum.

The Lab Blues made in Verona, VA are not platinum coated. They have a thick PTFE coating that Personna calls Comfort Coated. Personally, I prefer the Platinum Chromes as the thick coating makes the Lab Blues too dull for my beard on the 1st shave. As the coating wears off, the blades become just as sharp as the Platinum Chromes.

I have tested a few of the Platinum Chromes from Germany. As far as I can tell, they are the same blade as was previously made in Israel. I still have a stash of the Israeli Reds, so I have not purchased blades from Germany beyond the test blades.

Where from? Thanks in advance.
The 300 for $30 was/is on ebay. The $12/100 is there too, but also more places, I need to check because somebody PMed me asking the same question and I don't remember what I replied... will edit post in a few minutes.

"I was looking through the sellers on eBay that I have bought from, but I discovered Pasteurshaving has them. They have the old box for 15 and the new box for 17, they should be the same. I would either buy there or use their images to identify them from other sellers, you can find them down to 12 if it’s worth your time."

Top Bottom