What's new

Amazon - 100 Astra DE Blades

So, I've had a chance to directly compare the Astra SP to the Astra SS. I picked up 100 packs of each from Amazon VIA this deal. The SP's arrived with the solid fill "block" logo, the Stainless had the "laser etched" logo.

The SP's are great blades, no complaints really. It provided a great shave with no irritation and I could tell right away it was a quality blade.

The Stainless on the other hand seemed sharper to me and a bit smoother. After 1 use of each blade, the clear winner for me is the Stainless. Of course the more I use each blade, my verdict could change!

At ~$7 for 100 blades, you just gotta snag some.

price is back to $8.50 for blues. Also forgot that certain states just started collecting sales tax for online purchases.

My Astra SS arrived. First shave with one was great. They do seem to be sharper and smoother to me as well, but the SP are not bad at all either.

My SS blades are laser engraved.
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

How do you like 7 O'clock green (Super Stainless) made in Russia?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

I find the Russian greens to be similar to a number of other good blades: Rapira Platinum Lux, Voskhod, Gillette Platinum, Gillette Silver Blue and Gillette branded Wilkinson Sword. I have a 100 pack of the Gillette Wilkies, so I am not inclined to pick up another bulk pack of either of these.

ordered blues, picked snail mail for the $1 credit, and they still showed up in 2 days. Received laser etched new stock and they perform as expected. When I ordered, NJ1C was the default seller, but super safety razor and razor blade club are also available for the same price.

Just for giggles, I bought these on October 6th via subscribe & save at the discounted price to get them even a little cheaper.

My subscription just delivered and I received the laser etched blades also. I don't care what I have, but just letting others know.....

I bought a carton of Astra SP's a few years ago and love them. I've used about half because I don't wet shave every day, and I don't change them until they start to pull. (and they stay sharp a long time) I was looking on Amazon yesterday and a lot of the recent reviews for Astra blades have said the quality has really gone downhill with their last order (like dull blades right out of the wrapper, or uneven grind from one end of the blade to the other) Has anybody here noticed that? Or just a change in the etching/labeling?

I bought a carton of Astra SP's a few years ago and love them. I've used about half because I don't wet shave every day, and I don't change them until they start to pull. (and they stay sharp a long time) I was looking on Amazon yesterday and a lot of the recent reviews for Astra blades have said the quality has really gone downhill with their last order (like dull blades right out of the wrapper, or uneven grind from one end of the blade to the other) Has anybody here noticed that? Or just a change in the etching/labeling?
I got 100 blades back in September, and I'm not experiencing any quality issues with them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

If anyone is visiting Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, I will be happy to tell you where to find loads of Astra at incredible price. They are my favourite blades too...
20191104_181431.jpg
20191104_182528.jpg
20191108_194143.jpg

Wow! I prefer the SS version, I better stay away for a bit..... The War Department is pinchin' pennies again!
I have never tried the SS Astra blades, but I think I may have a tuck or two... time to go check the stash. I wasn't looking for the blades (I have so many blades already), but they popped up when I was checking out a brush (I don't need a brush either). I saw the price and just thought I would pass on the information.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have never tried the SS Astra blades, but I think I may have a tuck or two... time to go check the stash. I wasn't looking for the blades (I have so many blades already), but they popped up when I was checking out a brush (I don't need a brush either). I saw the price and just thought I would pass on the information.
The SS are just as good to my exceedingly handsome face as the Gillette Silver Blue ones. I'm not sure if I could tell the difference between them in a blind test. And the Astra SP is really good for me after a couple shaves.

Blades is weird my friend. Everytime I see someone showing love for Derby blades I scratch my head, lol! Those blades hate me!

The SS are just as good to my exceedingly handsome face as the Gillette Silver Blue ones. I'm not sure if I could tell the difference between them in a blind test. And the Astra SP is really good for me after a couple shaves.

Blades is weird my friend. Everytime I see someone showing love for Derby blades I scratch my head, lol! Those blades hate me!
Astra SS as good as GSB? No way! I know it's a YMMV thing, but now you've got me curious. Don't worry... it doesn't take much. :) I'm using a GSB this week, and now I must go and find some Astra SS blades to try for myself. You are not helping, sir... not at all! :)

But seriously... I enjoy your posts @FarmerTan and appreciate your contributions to the B&B forums. Please, be well...

Last edited:
Astra SS as good as GSB? No way! I know it's a YMMV thing, but now you've got me curious. Don't worry... it doesn't take much :) I'm using a GSB this week, and now I must go and find some Astra SS blades to try for myself. You are not helping, sir... not at all! Please, be well...

Both Astra Superior Stainless and Gillette Silver Blue are good blades. I find Astra SS to be slightly better than GSB. I do not think GSB are worth the higher price they normally sell for.

Top Bottom