What's new

Amazingly rich lather

I don't know where else to put this, so I'll put it here, although I think most will find this information most unsatisfying,and this post quite melancholy.

Yesterday evening I had a nice leisurely shave with my Feather SS folding shavette (not unusual, I do it all the time). The soap lather I had, though, was absolutely fantastic! Rich, "low-structure," yogurty, dense, slick, and protective, and it smelled amazing, too.

Here's the frustrating part (for enthusiastic wetshavers reading a post in a soap forum): The soap I used was a beta-test soap for a forum member named Larry (he went by the moniker "JetPilot" on this forum). He jumped into a thread about making your own shaving soap, and like a Tesla he went from 0-60 in about 2.2 seconds. He sent me a couple of samples within about a week or two of the thread. Both soaps were absolutely fantastic. The first one made perhaps even a richer lather than this one, but took longer to lather and required a ton of water. The scent was also unfortunate. He tried to make it smell like a bowl of Captain Crunch with Crunchberries. Love the cereal. Hated the scent of that soap.

I don't have an ingredients list, but Larry told me that he used five (count 'em, FIVE) butters in the recipe. I know four of them for sure: kokum butter, cocoa butter, shea butter, mango butter. I don't remember what the fifth one was. But wow! This makes for a very rich lather. In this one the scent is also outstanding; a take on barbershop with a bit of leather. Kind of like Ghost Town Barber but better.

Larry was excited about his beta soaps and seemed like he really wanted to make a go of producing a soap to sell. He even asked me to help him come up with a name for his company. I suggested "Larry the Soap Guy," and "Silver State Soaps," since he was from Nevada. He didn't like either name. He told me he was tweaking version 2.0 and was going to send me one in a citrus scent that I was going to love. Weeks went by. I finally contacted him to see what the hold-up was. He told me that he had been hit by "cluster headaches" that were really terrible. He told me he "never had headaches before."

I told him to take his time, that I wasn't in a hurry, and that he could send me version 3.0 whenever he was ready and feeling better.

Sadly, I haven't heard from him since. He hasn't logged into this site in a very long time. As a physician, I have my doubts about the original diagnosis.

I don't have much of this soap left. I will enjoy the heck out of however many shaves of it remain.

Same here, Larry sent me a sample and I love it, especially the tobacco smell. There was another post a few months back with concerns about him since he disappeared. I really hope he's doing alright and hoping that he simply burned out on the hobby, which happens from time to time. Thoughts and prayers!

From what I remember in his original thread, he started with the Silver Fox recipe and then tweaked it.

Same here, Larry sent me a sample and I love it, especially the tobacco smell. There was another post a few months back with concerns about him since he disappeared. I really hope he's doing alright and hoping that he simply burned out on the hobby, which happens from time to time. Thoughts and prayers!

From what I remember in his original thread, he started with the Silver Fox recipe and then tweaked it.
Interesting. I tried the original silver Fox recipe soap and used it for awhile. This soap was tweaked considerably and is a much better soap than silver Fox, in my opinion.

Top Bottom