What's new

Amateur smoker looking for tips. No pun intended.

Hi guys.

I have recently discovered the wonderful world of smoking meat, and I would like to suck less at it. I am faux-smoking on a charcoal grill with a smoker box directly on top of the coals at the moment, and I'm looking at one of those v-shaped smoker boxes to also faux-smoke on my gas grill. Even though I'm terrible at it, my whole family likes it and says that there is a definite improvement in flavor over non-smoked meat.

Does anyone else do it this way? Any hints for me? Certain types of wood you like? Just bombard me with info. I'll take notes if I need to.

Show us a picture of both of your grills or at least the make and model.

I've got this guy.

I always recommend a Weber Smokey Mountain to learn how to properly smoke meats (with charcoal). It takes a bit of work, but that can be half the fun. Go to the following and you will learn all you need to know about smoking meat like a pro.

www.virtualweberbullet.com

The long term goal is definitely to get a dedicated smoker. But for now, I'd like to see how far I can go with this setup.

Not sure my advice is any good, but I will share my experience with what I did. Basically, I gave up pretty quickly on trying to actually smoke anything on a regular gas grill. Hard to get enough smoke. Very hard to control temperature. Not really designed for smoking. I bought a fairly inexpensive "dorm fridge" electric smoker--Masterbuilt, I have gone through a couple now, and I do not remember the prices, but certainly less than $200. I am sure it is considered blasphemous by some to even suggest an electric smoker, as opposed to something powered by charcoal/wood or even propane/natural gas. But I would say this setup has served me well, with arguably less attention having to be paid to it. I did buy a remote (i.e., from the house) thermometer, which makes tending the smoker all the easier. I think one thing the electric does not do that a charcoal unit does well is create a smoke ring, although what they say these days seems to be that this does not matter to taste.

Smoking is really pretty easy with something like this. I do not know what you would be terrible at using something at it. Not that you cannot learn lots of helpful stuff like slavers and rubs, Texas crutches (I prefer butcher paper over foil), letting smoked meats rest in a cooler, stalls, and proper temperatures.

Hickory or hickory and apple seem good to me for bacon and pulled pork. Oak, and if you can get it, real post oak, for brisket.

I have not done much with fish or cheese. I did buy a Masterbuilt supplemental smoke generator that plugs in to the side of the unit and allows one to sort of do cold smoking, among other things. But it is not really necessary.

Certainly Weber Smokey Mountain units get consistently good reviews for charcoal.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I am sure it is considered blasphemous by some to even suggest an electric smoker, as opposed to ... propane

1592605072168.png

I've read this elsewhere. Too bad there isn't a way to seal it up somehow. Would plugging the chimneys be enough? Safety of that maneuver aside.
No because the propane jets are designed to burn a specific air fuel ratio....like your car. Choking off the flow could cause them to not burn fully and flavor your meat.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Using a gas or charcoal grill for smoking is an affront to mankind.

It depends on your personal preference for a real smoker. The Weber Smoker Mountain is quality and well built. If I got one it would be the 22".

If you want to go full stick burner mode, my Son-In-Law has one of these, and I believe Aaron does also. I'm going to get one the next time I'm in the DFW area to an Academy. It's not a $1,000 entry level competition one, but it seems good for the price point. I don't compete, I just backyard cook.

I've had one of these for years and it turns out great stuff, but I had to seal it up and do mods. on it to be able to control the temp. correctly. Pretty thin sheet metal construction.

As for wood, it depends on what you like and what you're cooking. I use mostly post oak because it's abundant here and a chain saw makes quick work of one. I love hickory also...have two trees but only use the trimmed branches. I also like mesquite, but SWMBO thinks it's too strong.

For chicken and other delicate meats pecan, apple, cherry, etc. is mild enough not to overpower it. Depends on what you like.

This is a pretty good book, but there are a bunch of other ways to smoke and he's the first to admit it. He also has a bunch of youtube videos.

Talking about how to smoke meats has started more fights than politics and religion.

Last edited:
Ha! Propane and propane accessories!

Aaron Franklin is fabulous. If I know anything at all about brisket, I have learned it from those videos.

<Talking about how to smoke meats has started more fights than politics and religion.>

True that.

I find mesquite a little strong myself.

<Using a gas or charcoal grill for smoking is an affront to mankind.>

That is hilarious. I understand the sentiment. The OP's family already loves smoked meat. I think a real smoker is going to say a lot of effort on the OP's part and will resolve all thoughts being a terrible smoker.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I think a real smoker is going to say a lot of effort on the OP's part and will resolve all thoughts being a terrible smoker.

Did you mean SAVE? That makes a lot more sense and is as true as a rock will fall if dropped.

I need to get to Plano and pick up a new stick burner...mine's getting wore out.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Using a gas or charcoal grill for smoking is an affront to mankind.

It depends on your personal preference for a real smoker. The Weber Smoker Mountain is quality and well built. If I got one it would be the 22".

If you want to go full stick burner mode, my Son-In-Law has one of these, and I believe Aaron does also. I'm going to get one the next time I'm in the DFW area to an Academy. It's not a $1,000 entry level competition one, but it seems good for the price point. I don't compete, I just backyard cook.

I've had one of these for years and it turns out great stuff, but I had to seal it up and do mods. on it to be able to control the temp. correctly. Pretty thin sheet metal construction.

As for wood, it depends on what you like and what you're cooking. I use mostly post oak because it's abundant here and a chain saw makes quick work of one. I love hickory also...have two trees but only use the trimmed branches. I also like mesquite, but SWMBO thinks it's too strong.

For chicken and other delicate meats pecan, apple, cherry, etc. is mild enough not to overpower it. Depends on what you like.

This is a pretty good book, but there are a bunch of other ways to smoke and he's the first to admit it. He also has a bunch of youtube videos.

Talking about how to smoke meats has started more fights than politics and religion.
Yes and/or yes. Thank you Mike.

Top Bottom