What's new

Am not holding my breath

I got this family watch not long ago and have sent it in. It is an Omega Automatic from about 1954. It has had a very hard life, as you can see. The original owner spent most weekends with it on his wrist running a chainsaw. For decades. When you move it from side to side you can hear and feel a, "Clunk, clunk..." that comes from inside. I know little about watches but it feels like the whole movement is loose. Am thinking that is how the hand fell off.

For those who can offer up some feedback, please weigh in. Is there any hope?

IMG_5026.jpeg

My dad had a very old self-winding watch that had a weighted pendulum winding mechanism inside that went "thunk thunk". Never seen another like it. No clue what brand, but hopefully it's something like that.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Omega has always been built with quality standards, and the folks that they authorize to repair them are generally very skilled.
You'd be amazed at what they can do to bring some of these back to life.
As stated, probably not cheaply - but if it's a family heirloom it may well be worth it to you.
It's likely that it won't be used in the same fashion as the previous owner, and if repaired will likely function perfectly for decades and decades to come.

omega-seamaster-repair-before-after_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Your watch may have a so-called "hammer" or "bumper" drive in which a weighted pendulum bounces against bumpers at either end of its arc without going through 360° as does a rotor. I used to have several thus equipped Omegas from the early 'fifties that ran just fine.

Wearing a bumper drive watch can be a bit disconcerting at first, but you get used to it.

Oh, one more thing: I had the badly pitted dial on one of the watches replaced. Total, including COA, was about $100.

If it is an heirloom and or you really like it spend the diagnose fee. And go further upon that. It should be fully restorable of course at a price. And the question will be how original it is after that and more important to you.
I still have some smaller tools from my ancestors. Some are used by me and some are not. But I want them original stained pitted and worn by callused working hands not showpieces.

Nice watch. It may cost a little to have it restored but I would go for it myself. I have several of my Grandfathers and Great Uncles watches and I have had most of them restored at some point. Admittedly some were restored over 20 years ago but they still work and it is not like I wear them everyday.

That view matches mine precisely. It just seems the right thing to do even though I may not wear it every day.

Your watch may have a so-called "hammer" or "bumper" drive in which a weighted pendulum bounces against bumpers at either end of its arc without going through 360° as does a rotor. I used to have several thus equipped Omegas from the early 'fifties that ran just fine.

Wearing a bumper drive watch can be a bit disconcerting at first, but you get used to it.

I had no idea about such a thing. That may very well be what is going on. If so, it is a relief. I will say that in spite of the hand falling off that the small second hand was going around which only makes sense if it had that type of hammer drive. What an odd design to have such a thing as that but it apparently worked and hey, it is an Omega.

I got this family watch not long ago and have sent it in.
If I may ask, where did you send it? The vintage Omega that SWMBO got me as an engagement present is in need of service. I had a guy in Portland, OR, but I don't know if he's still around. Even if he is still working, it's not bad to have a back-up plan. :)

Congrats on the heirloom, BTW. From my dad, I inherited my grandfather's Constellation. I am not a fan of gold watches, but I wear it on occasion, just to honor the men of the family.

If I may ask, where did you send it? The vintage Omega that SWMBO got me as an engagement present is in need of service. I had a guy in Portland, OR, but I don't know if he's still around. Even if he is still working, it's not bad to have a back-up plan. :)

Congrats on the heirloom, BTW. From my dad, I inherited my grandfather's Constellation. I am not a fan of gold watches, but I wear it on occasion, just to honor the men of the family.
You might also want to check the forums at watchuseek.com for leads on reputable repair shops

I found this guy. I'm not in any way associated with him but I have seen what he has done before / after and his "after" is better than my "before" so off the watch went. I believe he only works on vintage Omega watches. I had a bit of back and forth with him - questions, pics of the watch, etc. I found him to be responsive and informative.

To be clear, he has not done a watch for me before but my view is that anything he does will be an improvement and he certainly seems accomplished. He did mention that he finds it very fulfilling to work on a family watch that has been passed down.

Here is his site, I found him helpful and ready to answer any questions I had: https://omegaaddict.com

I found this guy. I'm not in any way associated with him but I have seen what he has done before / after and his "after" is better than my "before" so off the watch went. I believe he only works on vintage Omega watches. I had a bit of back and forth with him - questions, pics of the watch, etc. I found him to be responsive and informative.

To be clear, he has not done a watch for me before but my view is that anything he does will be an improvement and he certainly seems accomplished. He did mention that he finds it very fulfilling to work on a family watch that has been passed down.

Here is his site, I found him helpful and ready to answer any questions I had: https://omegaaddict.com
Lovely. Thanks for the info, and I hope he works his customary magic on your watch!

Top Bottom