What's new

Am I using my Ever-Ready 1914 correctly?

I mentioned in one thread that my ER 1914 is my most aggressive razor. Someone else replied that they fine theirs to be quite mild.

I do not hold the razor head flat against my face when I shave. I lift it a little to get a better feel for the shave. Could this be why it feels so aggressive to me?

It just feels strange holding the head flat against my face.

What say you?

I mentioned in one thread that my ER 1914 is my most aggressive razor. Someone else replied that they fine theirs to be quite mild.

I do not hold the razor head flat against my face when I shave. I lift it a little to get a better feel for the shave. Could this be why it feels so aggressive to me?

It just feels strange holding the head flat against my face.

What say you?
You are doing it the way I do, just off the face. Flat against the face would make for a very mild, inefficient shave, at least for me. But everybody's face is different.

It sounds right. The terms mild and agressive are purely subjective terms. Maybe you use too much pressure?
I don't use much pressure but I feel more blade with this razor than any other razor I have owned. It's nice but you just have to pay attention what you are doing. If I let my mind wander things could happen.

ER-1914_b.JPG

Reactions: Kix

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I recommend short strokes with a shallow angle with a light touch and it will perform for you well. Folks should be aware that the Gem Personna blade is very sharp and a 2 pass shave well work for most folks with some pickups. If you use a new blade you could try using the blade in a milder Gem razor first and then use the blade 2 or 3 shaves later in the 1914 razor. Some folks will cork the blade 1 or twice to smooth it out because of sharpness. The 1914 razor is a mid range > to upper mid range depending on experience with using it (A moving target to figure the aggression because of variables.).
Folks should understand the first safety razors where based off the straight razor, the only difference is the blade is shorter and the razor furnishes the safety bar and top cap for operator protection.(It was revolutionary for that time period because straight razors where so common.)
I will leave some information on this razor because the original pamphlets that came with the razor are long gone.
(Click on photo to enlarge, some old archived photos)
Gem procedure (2).jpg
blade-angle (2).jpg
blade_angle-se-de.gif

Some folks will cork a blade to smooth it out also.
Ron's corking.jpg

Have some great shaves!

1912 and 1914 razors = head flat on face

1924 razor = lower handle slightly so the face of the razor is angled slightly off the face of the shaver.

Micromatic = head flat on face

Reactions: Kix
I do find the 1914 more aggressive than the 1912 or the Micromatics. Similar in aggression to the E-R 1924 Shovelhead.

I generally am not a flat on face believer, but my angle is shallow and my touch is light. I cork PTFE blades before first use, but not uncoated stainless or carbon.

Legion

Staff member
I always found my Gem/ER to be quite aggressive. I found lightly corking a new blade helps a bit.

I do find the 1914 more aggressive than the 1912 or the Micromatics. Similar in aggression to the E-R 1924 Shovelhead.

I generally am not a flat on face believer, but my angle is shallow and my touch is light. I cork PTFE blades before first use, but not uncoated stainless or carbon.

I agree with you 100% and before I use any GEM blade I hand strop it. I find it makes a big difference. Just about 4 strops on each side does the trick.

Top Bottom