What's new

Am I The Only Person On B&B Who Finds The Scent Of Tabac Nauseating?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
ATTENTION:

Cherry Blossoms do not smell like cherries.
Tabac does not smell like tobacco.

Also, Dogwood does not smell like dogs and Bird of Paradise does not smell like birds.

Along the same lines:
Baby's Breath - nope.
Corn Flower - Uh uh.
Foxglove - no.
Jersey lily - no (Thank God).
Lobster claw - not in the least.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
That’s why my Pina Colada stuff smells so DEAD ON.

LOL.
There's been a few guys who said they probably wouldn't be interested in Tabac because they don't like Tobacco scents, or guys that wanted to try it because they do like Tobacco scents.
Just want to make sure everyone understands that though there are plenty of very good reasons to like or dislike the smell of Tallow Tabac - tobacco isn't one of them!

I think it pretty much stinks.

To my nose, the scent of the newer version is actually an improvement, although I still don't care for it.

Here is a short list of scents I couldn't stand in shaving products, from most offensive to least offensive (but still bad):

1) Cyril R. Salter French Vetiver shaving cream. Smells exactly like a swamp fire. God-awful. Worst scent in all of shaving.

2) Tabac. Old lady's purse is a pretty good description. Just bad.

3) Haslinger Schafmilch. OK at first, but cloying and overly sweet. Gets worse every time you use it, and then there comes a time when you just can't stomach it anymore.

4) MdC Original. Overly medicinal lavender, with a hint of formaldehyde. At first, the formaldehyde is somewhat in the background, but over time, it begins to feel like you work in a medical school anatomy lab.

For the record, I have never smelled Arko, but I like the smell of Williams. I also like VDH Deluxe, which I know is polarizing, as well.

Note: This was only about shave soaps/creams. Don't get me started on Lilac Vegetal, which, by the way, doesn't wash off. I think the scent finally leaves when all the skin cells it touched have been sloughed off and replaced by new ones.

It's not tobacco in any way. It's floral.
It’s too late in the season for this year, but next spring, depending on what part of the US you’re in, stop into a nursery or maybe even a big box store garden department, and they often sell small plantings of flowering tobacco to put in flower beds. It is very often sold under its Latin name “Nicotania”. Often there will already be a flower or two on the plant and you can take a whiff. It is not nearly as Kryptonic as Tabac, but even the flower itself is too floral for me.

I’m actually traveling in the NC mountains right now, and plucked a small tobacco flower from a garden this morning. Nope, not for me.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It’s too late in the season for this year, but next spring, depending on what part of the US you’re in, stop into a nursery or maybe even a big box store garden department, and they often sell small plantings of flowering tobacco to put in flower beds. It is very often sold under its Latin name “Nicotania”. Often there will already be a flower or two on the plant and you can take a whiff. It is not nearly as Kryptonic as Tabac, but even the flower itself is too floral for me.

I’m actually traveling in the NC mountains right now, and plucked a small tobacco flower from a garden this morning. Nope, not for me.
I like the way the Tobacco flower smells personally, though I am not a fan of smoking tobacco scented products generally speaking.

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have no idea what Arko or Tabac smell like, and it is unlikely I shall ever find out. I love MdC Fougere and Pre de Provence original enough that I have no interest in trying others. My one remaining interest is MdC Original, which I read is like a toned down Fougere. I figure I have another half year plus on my current puck, now nearly two years old. I load with under five seconds atop the puck and get enough lather for three passes plus.

So now I know what Tabac "probably" smells like, unless I'm corrected. It's a bit pungent at first, and I've never been to a country club, but I imagine where the golfers sit and sip their Jack, Beam, or Johnny--on those high-backed leather chairs there's a faint scent of this Tabac wafting in [/SIZE][/FONT]

Not really close.

From Tabac's website:

TABAC ORIGINAL is a sophisticated composition fragranced with peppery-spicy notes and elegantly rounded off by exotic woods, musk, ambergris and a floral complex. An unmistakable fragrance with a discreet presence.

Top:
  • Neroli
  • Lemon
  • Black Pepper
  • Bergamot
  • Petit grain
Middle/Heart:
  • Lavender
  • Camomile
  • Geranium
  • Oakwood
    absolu
Bottom:
  • Carnation
  • Sandal wood
  • Vetiver
  • Musk
  • Ambergris
There is no tobacco in it, at all, not even tobacco flower. Perhaps Tabac is a surname? There is such a surname, but I don't know if that is where they got the name for this product, or not.

For me, the soap was love at first whiff. The A/S, on the other, is nothing like the soap, far more potent, worse than old cigarette butts, and indeed nauseating.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
When I first got a stick of Tabac I found it reminded me of the smell of my mums handbag when I was a kid and particularly the tissues she pulled out of it when despite my protestation she felt my face needed cleaning. For that reason it didn't get much use, but after finding just how good a soap it is and how much less annoying it is to get a lather from than MWF I am planning to 3017 my MWF and once my Tabac stick is gone I will purchase a jar of it as a replacement. The scent I can live with unlike the lemon menace that is Arko.
My mum gave me a "spit bath" with those ancient tissues (Kleenex) that, now you mentioned it, DID smell like Tabac!

I must've been a filthy child. Seems she was ALWAYS doing that to me! And none of my siblings....come to think of it, I was the ONLY kid to get that treatment! And also the only one that had pin worms! There must be a correlation?

No wonder I had/have so few friends!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
From Tabac's website:

TABAC ORIGINAL is a sophisticated composition fragranced with peppery-spicy notes and elegantly rounded off by exotic woods, musk, ambergris and a floral complex. An unmistakable fragrance with a discreet presence.

Top:
  • Neroli
  • Lemon
  • Black Pepper
  • Bergamot
  • Petit grain
Middle/Heart:
  • Lavender
  • Camomile
  • Geranium
  • Oakwood
    absolu
Bottom:
  • Carnation
  • Sandal wood
  • Vetiver
  • Musk
  • Ambergris
There is no tobacco in it, at all, not even tobacco flower. Perhaps Tabac is a surname? There is such a surname, but I don't know if that is where they got the name for this product, or not.
Has to be the new formula?....

ATTENTION:

Cherry Blossoms do not smell like cherries.
Tabac does not smell like tobacco.

Also, Dogwood does not smell like dogs and Bird of Paradise does not smell like birds.

Along the same lines:
Baby's Breath - nope.
Corn Flower - Uh uh.
Foxglove - no.
Jersey lily - no (Thank God).
Lobster claw - not in the least.
Pussywillow ?

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
My mum gave me a "spit bath" with those ancient tissues (Kleenex) that, now you mentioned it, DID smell like Tabac!

I must've been a filthy child. Seems she was ALWAYS doing that to me! And none of my siblings....come to think of it, I was the ONLY kid to get that treatment! And also the only one that had pin worms! There must be a correlation?

No wonder I had/have so few friends!
Yeah the embarrassing thing is when she still tries to give me a spit bath (the tissues still smell like Tabac)

Crap, I'm gonna have to buy some now. I have zero need and zero space but that doesn't matter, right fellas?
The least expensive format for Tabac is usually the stick refill which is actually a big piece of soap around 100g. If you don't like sticks, you can just grate it into a container.

If you do like shave sticks, the Tabac stick container is one of the best and is, of course, refillable.

Top Bottom