What's new

Am I the only one bothered by getting less than advertised?

If its soft as Cella, it definitely has a good amount of water.

If you want it to weigh 150 grams again, add 50 grams of water, cover it, and let it sit for a month.

I've weighed new triple milled pucks and then weighed them again after a few uses to gauge usage. If used daily, the soap will increase in weight slightly and then start to decrease. I let the puck sit and weighed it daily, without using it, and the puck continued to lose weight for about a week if I recall correctly.

I'm curious about the stuff growing on your soap. What is that? Looks like a petri dish.

Happened to me but with a balm. I guess yours just dried out after a long time, although I didn't think it would also shrink as much being as it's already triple milled if I'm understanding it correctly. I do have some SV soaps that are noticeably shrinking. I don't use them frequently but they have been in my den for a couple of years.

50g of water from a 150g measure of soap? No way that water was 1/3 of the recipe... and 100% of it disappeared through a plastic container kept out of direct sunlight which I imagine it was. It takes heat energy to evaporate water. You were overwhelmingly likely shorted. My .02

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Fact is stranger than fiction.

My Monsavon was about 4-6 years old (probably more!) and rattled around in its unopened container like dice in a cup. When I got around to opening it, I was flabbergasted at how small and light it was.

50g of water from a 150g measure of soap? No way that water was 1/3 of the recipe... and 100% of it disappeared through a plastic container kept out of direct sunlight which I imagine it was. It takes heat energy to evaporate water. You were overwhelmingly likely shorted. My .02
you will be surprise, if this happens in a dry place water evaporates from anywhere, you dont nessesarily need to boil it out of it, and yes those soaps contain a lot of water.

If it says 4 ounces and it arrives a week later and it weighs in at 3.2 ounces then I totally get it. However, if you get it and weigh it five years later then all bets are off.

On a positive note the soap is all still there, it just needs to be rehydrated. In theory still the same number of shaves as the drier puck will be used up more slowly.

If you wanted to test it you could always order a new one and weigh it right away to see where it's at. These things are likely made in a factory and I wouldn't think much has changed in the last five years. If anything the way products are made and packaged now the new ones would likely be lighter than the older ones.

Can't say I'm too impressed by how long they took to respond.
However, some evaporation should be expected. Your soap is still all there, as others have said, and it will absorb water and expand with use.
50g does seem a lot of loss, but collecting statistical data on Speick soaps that sit unopened for 5 years vs new ones might prove a challenge ;)

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Being in Germany until tomorrow morning, I went today to a DM and checked out the Speick soaps: some are rattling in the container, others not! I picked a non-rattler to take home....Guess, there are fresh and older ones on the same shelf.

It may not be just water that evaporates out. If any of the other ingredients have a volatile component then you will definitely lose those. Even through plastic. Plastic is a lot more permeable than people think. Maybe not a lot of weight but there will be some.

Being in Germany until tomorrow morning, I went today to a DM and checked out the Speick soaps: some are rattling in the container, others not! I picked a non-rattler to take home....Guess, there are fresh and older ones on the same shelf.
Nice! I hope yours will be a lot more fuller than mine. I'm sure you will enjoy the soap nonetheless.

Some good information have been posted in this thread regarding what might have caused it. Thanks.:a14:

I was absolutely thinking about this with some of the artisan seasonal limited releases that I've seen for sale. Especially of interest when you don't have the opportunity to give things a shake. I've always wondered if it's a LIFO or FIFO system.

Rattle Soap! Looks like the complete opposite of the grooming department liquid that I saw some members got a few months ago. Just brown liquid in a container, almost like melted ice cream.

Anything above absolute zero has heat energy and ice evaporates.

Top Bottom