What's new

Am I the first to see this?

Visiting London today and popped into TOBS on Jermyn Street and look what's just been released! The Platinum Collection shaving cream. It is not even on the website yet but I was excited enough to fork out a premium 15.95 (GBP) for this. Container has a mirror finish in silver and looks exceptional. Scent is very light indeed...faint floral but it certainly won't be dominant. Smells like a lighter version of the Aloe Vera. There is a matching fragrance that it lovely and understated. I will shave with this in a couple of days and report back. Can't wait!
FullSizeRender.jpg

Looking forward to the review. Just checked the TOBS site..not there yet. When it is, I may have to grab a tub.
Mikey

For those waiting for my verdict...you might have to wait longer! For those who know London, you will know the water is hard making a real test unfair. To compound this, I am using a brand new Duke 3 Best which needs a breaking in period as it is a real lather hog in its first few uses. So a real review would only be fair once I return to my regular and optimum shaving conditions. Having said that, my initial thoughts are that this seems a lovely cream but the scent is very soft. Perhaps too soft for those looking for something that lingers ever so slightly. It's a magnificent scent though - when you can smell it! It's a luxurious cream and has given me a close shave but I cannot comment on latherability or real slickness. So, let's wait another week and I can be more fair to the product. I am therefore reserving judgement on whether this product is more 'premium' in terms of packaging than its performance...but we'll see!

Not sure if you can see this but you will get an idea. The container is so reflective that it's like taking a picture of text on a mirror! What do you think of this list..is it any different to their other products? I am interested in the price premium justification over their other products!
FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Not sure if you can see this but you will get an idea. The container is so reflective that it's like taking a picture of text on a mirror! What do you think of this list..is it any different to their other products? I am interested in the price premium justification over their other products!
View attachment 782823
The ingredients look the same as other TOBS cream. It should have the same solid performance. The cost premium is likely due to more expensive fragrance/essential oils.

The ingredients look the same as other TOBS cream. It should have the same solid performance. The cost premium is likely due to more expensive fragrance/essential oils.
Thanks for the information. I am no expert on ingredients but am always interested in the marketing side of the retail business! This cream has an accompanying fragrance as well which I sprayed - and it's also so soft it barely lingers!

For those interested, I have now had a 'normal' shave using the new TOBS Platinum Collection shaving cream. Here are my initial impressions. As I had expected, the scent is mild - very mild. So much so, that this product really should not be purchased for the scent alone. It is a gorgeous scent though but barely lingers at all. It is more on the 'feminine' side with a hint of florals and also a touch of lemon. I loved the scent, but it just is too weak for my liking. The soap lathered very well indeed. I did a bowl lather with what is fast becoming my favorite brush - the Semogue 1305. Amazing brush at an amazing price and it quickly produced enough lather for two passes (or more). Lather was lovely. As for the shave itself, I could not really discern any difference from the other TOBS creams I am familiar with. In fact, I would say that the Avocado cream offers a much greater residual slickness than this Platinum product. But, there is one area where the Platinum did excel - in providing a remarkably close shave with absolutely no irritation. I would venture to suggest that in terms of close shaves, this might be a winner and the key reason to buy this product and pay the small premium. The post-shave feel was therefore super-smooth indeed even though the moisturising effect was in line with other TOBS products. But, after two shaves, my face was clean...super clean - and super smooth too! This new product seems to have more in common with the TOBS Jermyn Street sensitive skin line than with the more fragranced options. So, my overall verdict is not to expect anything from the scent or slickness of the shave. But, if it's an irritation-free close shave you are after (which ultimately is always the bottom line), this product is outstanding. Not to mention that gorgeous mirror-like container that should be given pride-of-place in any den! I suppose, my biggest disappointment was on the weak scent and lack of a slick glide on the face although I will continue to monitor this after a few more shaves. But, it scores a maximum 10/10 for closeness and being friendly to my skin so it's a keeper for sure!

Top Bottom