What's new

Am I shaving wrong?

Afternoon everyone! I was invited here by luvmysuper! Great guy!

Now I know I have seen multiple discussions on shaving around here, I would just like a few suggestions on how to get a decent shave.

Took me 28 years to finally have decent facial hair and I get irritation bumps everywhere, it gets itchy, and just doesn’t look good. I have tired everything so was just wondering if there is anything I could do differently to help?

-I shave after a shower
-Use hot water before and after
-I have new soaps from luvmysuper!
-I use after shave

Basically all I do, if there is anything I can add please let me know!

from reading enough here :)
technique is a huge one and using the least pressure possible and the correct angle but I found if the razor did not agree with me did not matter ! so finding the correct razor is just a lot of trial and error but you do need a good basic technique of course but no way will it make a bad razor a good one IMHO :)

some will say shave with cold water
I get a worse shave after a shower its just like it makes my skin to soft or something so I try not to do mine after a shower
I am switching to Lucky Tiger over aftershave once I use up the ones I like for me just more comfy so maybe try with hazel products ?

for me I went to really mellow razors and get shaves that are nice with no irritation as the more aggressive were just to much for me so not sure what and how many razors you have tried and also trying various blades in that razor that was the best comfort

I do think one just has to try a bunch of things and find what works for their skin face and trying various things is the journey we all have to take and for some its longer than others :)

For me its often that getting closer and also learning what does not work so I do not just keep repeating the bad shaves and move toward the better ones

best of luck and welcome !

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Welcome to the forum, @MimoDaKid !

First, give your wallet to a trusted loved one and cancel all electronic means of transferring funds. You’re in a den not only of comfort, but also enablement. Have you seen the must-have razors coming out (randomly pick any country on a map)?

Hot water can be irritating for some people, but that’s not universal. You can always find out the next time you shave.

Most sources of irritation come from pressing the edge of the blade into/across the skin too hard and too much. But reactions to soaps, creams, and colognes can and do happen.

A methodical approach of changing just one thing for a few shaves (to include time for healing or other reactions) can help pinpoint and correct the issue. So can assuming you can be just a little lighter with the razor each shave and making that assumption a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Here’s to better shaves!

I am with CK @Ckmaui here. I get worse shaves after the shower. If II use a cart I get good shaves in the shower. I shave cold - saves me time and keeps the irritation on my skin down.

More important I believe is your technique and the number of passes you do. I personally have been experimenting with 2.5 passes and doing WRG, XTG on cheek and neck and ATG only on the cheeks.

Cheers,

Guido

Now I know I have seen multiple discussions on shaving around here, I would just like a few suggestions on how to get a decent shave.

Took me 28 years to finally have decent facial hair and I get irritation bumps everywhere, it gets itchy, and just doesn’t look good. I have tired everything so was just wondering if there is anything I could do differently to help?

-I shave after a shower
-I use after shave

Welcome to B&B. It might help us to know what kind of razor you’re using as well as the blade or blades. Then someone might be able to give you more accurate advice.
A lot of this is trial and error until you find a combination that works for you and produces results you’re happy with.

what kind of razor you’re using as well as the blade
No detail is unimportant. Detailing your decisions, methods, and approaches--along with your materials and equipment--will help you uncover what's not working. For me, irritation came from multiple sources (heavy-handed brushing of the face, insufficiently prepared beard, applying pressure with the razor, cap riding, a razor with negative blade exposure) and by adjusting these factors my shaves improved.
If you're feeling brave, start a journal and get regular feedback from B&B legends.

And always listen to @thombrogan ...
cancel all electronic means of transferring funds
especially that bit of advice 🤑

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

-I shave after a shower
-I use after shave

Welcome to B&B, there might be a few things to fine tune to your routine and it is just a matter of time and all your shaves will be DFS+. You did not mention your razor used, make sure to map your beard (2-3 days growth is needed for visual only method is what I recommend)for much better results. Some folks can not or will not do a AgainstTheGrain pass. Reduce the amount of passes from 3 to 2 possibly that is just some things I learned over the years and hopefully it will help.
Cold water rinse after each pass is very nice and your skin will let you know it has calmed down for the next pass.
Let us know how progress is coming along.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Hello, welcome here.

You probably read advice how to shave and do preparation. Here are some things I found not to work for me:

1. hot water. Now how hot is hot? Too hot and my skin already has issues before I start shaving. Try just a bit above lukewarm.
2. Use alcoholic after shave, not a moisturizing balm. This might BURN a bit, but it dries quickly. I found some wettish balms to cause me irritation rather than preventing it.
3. Separate showering and shaving. For instance, I do. You probably wash your hair while showering, small wounds when all that stuff ran over your skin before, maybe that's it already.
4. Shave late in the evening. I don't have time or mood to shave in the morning.
5. I suggest using a highly cushioned blade first to prevent injuries and irritation, like the Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum ("black" packaging).
6. Beard mapping has been mentioned. Now you might have to experiment a little. Does "ATG", shaving against the grain cause you issues? If it does, shave just WTG, with the grain.
7. Try different shaving soaps or creams. Just because 99% of people love a soap, doesn't mean it won't cause mild reactions on your skin. Only you can find out. I recommend Cella, it works for ME... maybe you as well.
8. Use less pressure, you want to shave, not to self-skin yourself.
9. Consider buying and trying several more razors only after you tried all this above plus other suggestions in this thread.

Welcome aboard!

In addition to the advice above I suggest you read though the WiKi which has a ton of useful advice.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
-I shave after a shower
-I use after shave

Welcome to the forum. You've left a few details out:
Prep
Razor
Blade
Beard mapped
razor angle
pressure used
Number of passes with direction (WTG, etc.)
Quality of lather you're producing

If I had to guess, and I do, I'd go with the tried and true too much pressure and wrong razor/blade angle - because virtually every one of us has gone through this phase at the beginning of the process.

Every razor is not ideal for every face, nor is every blade. Give us a little more to work with. You'll figure it out, it's not golf. Hang in there.

Welcome aboard. Great advice on here. It can be a journey so be easy on yourself. You will get it and it will be satisfying. Some folks it takes a few weeks. Some it takes a few months but there will always be learnings and overall improvement. Some shaves are just a bit rough... let your skin heal or only do one pass if necessary.

One things to add to the already great advice.... work on your lathering to get a good slick, protective lather. I started and still primarily bowl lather. Easy to slowly add water and see and feel results. Do some test lathers and add water slowly until you push it past the breaking points. Observe along the way. Stick with one good soap to get consistently good lathers. Switch from Hot to warm water and work on the technique(angle and pressure) . Pay attention to how it sounds and feels when cutting...it'll start to click and you will know when you are in the sweet spot.

Enjoy!

Welcome to this bottomless source of wisdom named B&B forums. If you don't find your answers here they don't exist in the whole universe 🤓

I'll add my 2 cents to all the great advices above.
First, can you provide more info:
- What razors did you use before starting with a DE razor? For how long?
- How often do you shave?
- How do you feel your facial hair - coarse or mild, dense or thin?
- Is your skin dry or oily?
- What is you current razor? What blades do you use?
- How many passes you do with the razor? Which directions according to the hair growing?
- What is your brush - synthetic, boar, badger, horse, something else that just smashes that lather on my face?
- How do you prepare the lather? Bowl or face lathering? How do you paint the lather on your face - swirling motions or painting?
- What is your soap?
- What is your aftershave?
- Do you have cases getting irritation using other products - fragrances, balms, creams?
- When the irritation appears? For how long it stays?
These are only a dozen of the one hundred questions we can ask you 🤓
As said many times above, the reason for your irritation could be the hardware, software, your technique.

What I recommend from my experience.
Most important - don't buy more hardware - razors, brushes, trying to fix something which might be caused by other factors.
If you are new to DE shaving - find the right angle, in which your razor performs best for your skin. Start with a shallow angle ("riding the cap" - razor handle end more far from the face, larger angle between the razor handle and the face line, ... you got the idea, right?) and increase it slowly if the blade is not cutting as expected. Don't press with the razor, use its weight. Use shorter strokes, they allow you to control the pressure better. Find the balance point of your razor and don't squeeze the handle too hard.
As advised above, change one thing at a time. Experiment, but smartly. Have a plan what to test and how to test. Write your experiments in a journal (if you do it here, you will get advices better tied to your case). Search the forums about irritation and you will find enormous advices and solutions.
You can try the Proraso White product series of pre-shave, soap, lotion and balm (not necessary to use all of them). They contain natural extracts of thyme, oats and green tea, and they are famous as products for sensitive skin. And they are cheap, maybe the cheapest option you can find.
You can try using cold water after each pass, and after the shave. Then apply alum for 30-60 secs, wash the alum with cold water. Dry your face without rubbing with the towel, just mop gently by pressing. Then apply the aftershave just with light slapping, not rubbing.
For me some aftershave balms work well, but others cause irritation. I don't have such problems with the aftershave lotions of any kind.

Have calm shaves and be sure you will find the solution for you here. You are at the right and the only place 🍻

P.S. Repeating from above - read the shaving wiki here.

Welcome to the community!
I had the same problem. Difficult to add much to what already written above.
For me the turning point has been:
1) accurate face mapping, especially on the neck (most sensitive part at least for me)
2) adjust the number of passes along the parts of the face. For example I can only go WTG on my lower neck if I want to avoid ingrown hair, chicks 3 passes + buffing and no problem.

Welcome, a great place to be for sure!

Lots of good advice to be sure. Buying everything under the sun is a tough thing to avoid for most. Not only because we're all seeking the perfect shave consistency but it becomes such an enjoyable hobby.

First, give your wallet to a trusted loved one and cancel all electronic means of transferring funds. You’re in a den not only of comfort, but also enablement. Have you seen the must-have razors coming out (randomly pick any country on a map)?

This is no joke!! :)

Welcome to one of the best communities on the web!

Top Bottom