What's new

Am I ready for a "Slant"

Hello EvryBuddy !!

Still feelin the out the waters here but I am looking for some feedback from the all-knowing..

I am looking for a system (read: DE razor and accoutrements) that will give me the closest possible shave with a 1 pass N to S run over my entire mug.

I am currently using a Merkur HD that I have had great success with. For only having 2 weeks experience with it I feel my shaves are very close and extremely comfortable.

Now, here's the rub: AM I READY FOR A SLANT ??

I want mo' bettah, mo' closah.....but can I handle it??

Thanks for the advise.
Rick

Rick,

couple o' questions:

1. what type of blades are u currently using?

2. how 'sure' is your technique?

3. why only 1 pass?

Marty

I would tend to think that if you are only making one pass, then you should be able to manage the slant.

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason that you don't make more than one pass. I think most guys here make 3 to 4 passes in different directions and then finish with some spot touch ups (touch and cut).

Hey Guys,
2 reasons for my 1 Pass:

1. I like to shave every day and
2. More comfortable to me right now until my technique improves.

My beard doesnt grow fast (thick) enough for an "inspection-ready" shave every day.

So, whaddaya think??

If you are dead set on a single pass, then give the slant a go. If it were me personally, however, I would wait and experiment around with the HD. Try making a 2nd N-S pass. If that isn't any good for you, then try making a second pass and change directions so that it is diagonal from ear-to-chin.

Kyle said:
If it were me personally, however, I would wait and experiment around with the HD. Try making a 2nd N-S pass. If that isn't any good for you, then try making a second pass and change directions so that it is diagonal from ear-to-chin.

I agree with Kyle.You are not using your HD to its full potential. A second diagonal pass should give a marked improvement If you are definately wanting 1 pass... You may achieve what you want, just by using a sharper blade. I have a Futur, a Slant and an HD.....and to be honest....with my beard....the first pass is pretty similar with all of them. The differences only start to show after the second pass.

Brian

Hmm.. Good question, are you ready for a slant? First off, if I was getting a smooth enough to keep me happy shave from one pass with an HD, I would not mess with success.
Anyway, here's an answer to your question:
If you are ready for crooked, off-angle sideburns, if you are ready to have teeny little ha'rs growing out from under your nose, then you are ready for a \|. Those are some of the draw backs I find using the \|. On the other hand, it does do a fine job if you use sharp blades. The wide gap and leading the point on each stroke do provide extra close shearing. Then again, there is more to a shave than extra close shearing. Despite its shortcomings, I do use mine every month or so for the joy of seeing my whiskers scatter in fear.:lol:

In my view, you're ready if you think you are.

If you're not cutting yourself up with the HD, then a slant should be no problem - I used one without any problems (but have been using a DE for several years).

If you try the slant and have problems, put it away and practice some more with your HD - no harm in trying.

The slant does cut closer on the first pass, but you do need a light touch.

As for the sideburns and nose hair issues flagged by guenron, I just go at my sideburns at a bit of an angle - basically counter the slant by changing the angle of attack and have no problems with under the nose by using just the tail end of the blade - albeit with a higher risk of nicks.

This is just my experience and you'll have to figure it out by yourself - in my view, the slant is not that scary and is easily mastered with some patience and a light touch.

Give it a try. The worst thing that can happen is that you'll end up with a bloody face for a day. You can always resell the slant on this forum so you won't be out much money.

rikrdo said:
Hey Guys,
2 reasons for my 1 Pass:

1. I like to shave every day and
2. More comfortable to me right now until my technique improves.

My beard doesnt grow fast (thick) enough for an "inspection-ready" shave every day.

So, whaddaya think??

I'll go against the grain here and so that you have answered your own question. If your technique still needs improvement, I would say "no" to the slant.

Randy

Rick,

I just picked up my first slant bar (after using an HD and a Futur for a few months now)... I've been using it for about a week now and I'd say it's fairly easy to get.

Yes, there is more exposure of the slanted part of the blade, no doubt. Just take it slow- you'll notice a difference in closeness. The only thing I'd add, after reading your posts here, is that you may not NEED a closer shave. You say your beard is light and you only go one-pass currently. That sounds like you're not really getting the full potential out of the HD.

My beard is extremely thick. I need to shave every morning before work, and I always require at least 3 passes. I usually go four plus a touch up.

Anyway, as Ron points out the slanted edge of the blade can make for difficult maneuvering around the nostrils and will require more attention at the 'burns... Nothing that can't be dealt with if you like the shave you get. I personally do like the shave that I get with my merkur slant/derby blade combo.

My 2 cents. . .:biggrin:

I don't think this is an equipment issue. If you want the slant, buy the slant. It probably won't make a noticeable difference if you stick with 1 pass, but may be more fun/exciting/dangerous. Whatever floats your boat.:wink:

I think this is a technique issue. As someone said above, you're not really getting the full potential out of the HD. Try a sharper blade if you like, but go ahead and try at least a second pass--maybe across the grain as Kyle suggested. Then you'll understand the power of the beard reduction approach that's central to wet shaving.

So, IMO, you're talking about 2 different issues here:

1. Should you buy another razor? The answer at B&B to any question that begins, "Should I buy. . .?" will always be YES.:cool:

2. Should you try another pass? My answer would be YES to this question, too.:wink:

Hey Guys !!

Thanks for ALL the input and advice.

I shaved yesterday with my Col. Conk Glycerine soap and brand new C&E Best Badger brush (thanks for all the great skinny here on brushes as well !!)

2 passes N to S, 1 pass S to N and E to W around the jawline ( my #1 problem area). The ABSOLUTE best shave I have ever had !!. Baby smooth and no irritation whatsoever.

Thanks to herr Lathermeister Ron for his tutorial on technique. That alone has improved my experience 100%.

I'm going to hold off on the Slant for the time being...not to say I wont pick one up later....but I know me. I'll find other _AD's to keep my wife angry for awhile.

Creams, etc.....

Take care evryBuddy!

Top Bottom