What's new

Am I Picky?

Just want some opinions on a recent EBay purchase.

Bought a Gibbs Adjustable and received it today. When taking it out of the box, I immediately noticed plate damage on the corner of the baseplate and top cap. The damage on the baseplate corner goes to brass (See pics). This looks like damage from a fall or clinking on a sink.

Now the description indicated that it had no plating issues, that the razor was cleaned etc. Except for the corner issues, the rest of the razor is immaculate and the finish, handle etc look almost perfect.

My issue is the damage is obvious and the seller claims he did not observe it. I’ll say the razor wasn’t cheap and came with the box and sealed blades. What I didn’t like is that he said I was one of his pickier customers after sending him those pics.

I’m not someone who is concerned with seeing some brass on a decades old razor, I have plenty of vintage but I really feel this should have been mentioned and it is not in any of the photos.

These razors are getting harder to find in good condition and it seems like people who acquire them like me (I have 2) hold onto them. Do I return, complain to eBay or let it go?

Attachments

• E6B8BF4D-E6F3-4B16-9F55-033B04B74053.jpeg
    E6B8BF4D-E6F3-4B16-9F55-033B04B74053.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 153
  • E49964FE-B96E-411C-B6A7-7F424BD16A4A.jpeg
    E49964FE-B96E-411C-B6A7-7F424BD16A4A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 152
  • 1AEFC5D7-F1D3-4FDD-8BB6-D3C1FDB55471.jpeg
    1AEFC5D7-F1D3-4FDD-8BB6-D3C1FDB55471.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 148
Not sure how they could have missed that...it’s so blatantly obvious...

I’d want my money’s worth, and a damaged razor would not be that.

I think i would return it. Damage like this should have been mentioned in the description and unless the seller is blind, there is no way the he did not know about it.

If it had been mentioned or in a picture, I would have considered that before purchasing. I just like to know. I’m trying to ask myself now with a clear head if I would have paid what I did knowing the damage was there.

It is a shame because the thing could almost pass for NOS if not for that corner. Right now, I have a less perfect one and another in immaculate condition.

If it wasn’t chrome plate, I’d send it off to Chris Evatt, but he doesn’t work with chrome nor do most vendors.

Last edited:
It is clearly a problem and should have been shown on the seller's pictures and mentioned in written description
Since, as I understand it, you already have the same razor in much better condition so there is no reason to keep it. Now you have two options. One send it back and request refund. If seller refuses to give the refund you let Ebay know and they should take care of it. If he will give you refund I would still notify Ebay so that he wouldn't be able to try to sell again. Your second option is to sell it on BST so that someone who is interested in buying this razor, but wouldn't mind the issue since it shouldn't affect shaving, could get it and enjoy the shaves instead of it just being for display only

Not picky at all. You've got every right to take issue with this. That damage could certainly factor into what a person would pay for a razor, so for the seller to not include that info in the listing is a problem, especially when the item is on the expensive side. Hope you can get the issue resolved.

I think that you are within your rights for a refund as that damage is clear to see by even stevie wonder . the seller wont give a refund contact ebay . come on its not like you only sent 3/4 of the payment and said sorry but its only 3/4 perfect .
in addition I always do screen grabs of the photos and discriptions of anything on the bay that I order so they cant say otherwise.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I’m with everyone else. A fault like that should have been picked up and mentioned in the description. You could have then made up your mind if the razor was worth chasing or not. I think I would contact eBay, especially if you have a fair bit of money into the purchase.

It is your money, the description was not 100% accurate and the blemish was not depicted in the photos. You have to decide if you can live with that, but you are right in wanting to know before buying. I wouldn't call you picky if you decided to return it. Good luck with your decision! :)

R

romsitsa

Hello,

this kind of damage is not worth a replate, it's too minor to ruin 95% of original plating.
If a listing states no plate loss and I get a razor with plate loss, I'd open a ticket, maybe the seller will more closely examine items before selling them.
It's not a question of being "picky".
As for sending it back and asking for a total refund, you have to decide how "badly" you need a second adjustable Gibbs.

Adam

I had a similar issue with some razors from the auction site. One was stated as new, never used but I liked it. The seller gave me a partial refund to what I think was fair. Another seller sent me a razor with a crack in the handle after explicitly stating there was no crack. They accepted a full return

In all situations I have had the seller claim they didn't realize it was an issue as they are not a razor grading expert and didnt understand the issue when posted. My personal opinion is that many sellers hope the buyers dont notice or dont bother with trying to get a refund. In my cases all have been very quick to agree to a solution I think due to ebay backing of the buyers. If you want to keep the razor you could try agreeing on a partial refund to an amount youre happy with. I ended up with a beautiful razor at a great price through that negotiation

Hello,

this kind of damage is not worth a replate, it's too minor to ruin 95% of original plating.
If a listing states no plate loss and I get a razor with plate loss, I'd open a ticket, maybe the seller will more closely examine items before selling them.
It's not a question of being "picky".
As for sending it back and asking for a total refund, you have to decide how "badly" you need a second adjustable Gibbs.

Adam

The only reason I would think to keep it would be the rest of the razor as it is perfect. That combined with the hassle of returns and eBay.

Basically, I wanted to have one for me and 2 for my sons for when they start shaving. Don’t care about the condition of mine, just wanted them to have the best examples. I would simply swap out my baseplate for this one but my Gibbs is much older and it won’t fit.

I also thought about just sending the baseplate only to North Shore and having it refinished in black.

Really gets me, this razor has been the best Ive seen available for purchase in a few months.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm with @retroman_1979 at trying to get a partial refund first.

And as you are a gentleman, I won't give you my first advice, which was to hire a knee buster. That dude is an outright liar, and needs a lesson.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I would have passed. Ask for a refund. I know Gibbs arent cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Being called picky by the seller in this situation tells me all I would need to know.
You received an item not as advertised. You are holding all the cards.
If your quest is to have one unblemished, return it through eBay and move on.

I’ve been in your shoes and know it is a drag to have this hassle.
The razor you want is still out there.

Good hunting.

I don't know why you are asking the group for their opinion. The only thing that matters is that YOU feel you were cheated in this transaction and you feel worse now because the seller had the gall to call you picky. There is some bad karma attached to this razor now and every time you pick it up to shave with, you will zero in on the flaw and think about the seller calling you picky. Doesn't matter if the razor is otherwise in great shape or gives yo great shaves. Just tell the seller you want a return shipping label so you can send the razor back and you want a full refund on your cost. End of discussion and you can get on with your life. All we ask is if you see the seller post the same razor for sale again, warn the rest of us.

Top Bottom