What's new

Am I OCD?

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
I'm picky about the condition and cleanliness of my razors. After each shave, I disassemble my 3 piece razors and wipe them down with a towel and leave them out to dry until the next shave when I re-assemble everything. I even wipe off the razor blade and flip it over so that it's reversed the next time I insert into the razor.

If I'm shaving with my vintage Gillettes, I remove the razorblade afterwards and wipe down the inside and outside of the razor as well as the blade.

This ritual keeps my gear shiny and new looking at all times.

Am I the only one who goes to this extent, or are there others with my sickness?

-Phil

Attachments

• 20220906_071447.jpg
    20220906_071447.jpg
    830.3 KB · Views: 20

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
My well water has a hearty amount of iron, calcium, and manganese. These minerals seem to perversely enjoy interacting with soap — and even just themselves — to make scummy mineral deposits every chance they can take.

If I didn’t wash my razor, pat down the blade, and rinse out my brush after every shave, they’d be goners.

So I done do most of what you do; not as well, of course; and use the fear of pending mineralization to justify my acts.

That justification falls flat when I move onto touching the jar holding my squashed shave stick of ARKO! to my forehead and shouting:

“Çok yaşa, ARKO!
ARKO’ya güvenin!”

But, like, up until then, it’s like perfectly normal actions, innit? And the shouts would be normal if people were more appreciative in general.

As to the OCD, I lack the proper psychiatric credentials to form an opinion verging on valid.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My dad was a mechanic. I was allowed to use the tools he kept at home, but only if I cleaned them after each use.. and put them back where he kept them. For me, razors fall into the same category.. tools. So I clean mine after every use... I do dry them and flip the blade, then reassemble so they are ready for the next shave. They are dry when I do this, but I can understand doing it another way.

I'm pretty OCD when it comes to shaving and keep the bathroom clean. Like @thombrogan, I'm also on a well and my routine after a shave is to open the razor, remove the blade, pat it dry, rinse and wash the razor (just using hands if it looks clean, which it always does), and dry those parts as well. I too flip the blade and reassemble for next time. I always clean the brush of its remaining lather, give a shake or two, a few swipes on the towel and hang to dry on the stand with the razor. Lather bowl is rinsed out and dried and set on the shelf for next use. Lastly, I squeegee the counter, wipe down any splashes, faucet, and sink bowl so it's all freshly clean for my wife or myself for next use.

yeah clean my stuff thoroughly :)
I also wipe the soap jar edge inside and out :) hahahahah so its clean and the lid can not have any soap on it inside :) I do on new ones use it up but bugs me till its gone and clean hate soap on threads :) and the outside of them same after handling aftershave bottle :)
brush handle and so on always clean
perfect aligned blade packs in my drawer in order of my fav to least all facing the same way

then make sure all my labels of my products in the cabinet are in correct orientation when I put them back

of course when done wipe down the whole counter with a microfiber and things like that :)

but like in the kitchen forks are stacked in drawer as are spoons everything has a specific spot etc..
yeah I have issues and know it :)

OH the one thing that also bugs me is the bottom logo on the Timeless handle does not line up with anything ? I know that cant be helped so while it does not freak me out it does bug me but I deal with it hahahahaa

Goatrope

yeah clean my stuff thoroughly :)
I also wipe the soap jar edge inside and out :) hahahahah so its clean and the lid can not have any soap on it inside :) I do on new ones use it up but bugs me till its gone and clean hate soap on threads :) and the outside of them same after handling aftershave bottle :)
brush handle and so on always clean
perfect aligned blade packs in my drawer in order of my fav to least all facing the same way

then make sure all my labels of my products in the cabinet are in correct orientation when I put them back

of course when done wipe down the whole counter with a microfiber and things like that :)

but like in the kitchen forks are stacked in drawer as are spoons everything has a specific spot etc..
yeah I have issues and know it :)

OH the one thing that also bugs me is the bottom logo on the Timeless handle does not line up with anything ? I know that cant be helped so while it does not freak me out it does bug me but I deal with it hahahahaa

Holy moly.
...and I thought *I* was OCD... :letterk1:

Now I feel like a slob.

-Phil

Last edited:
You know, when our wives divorce us, maybe we could all share a house. Sounds like we've got the bathroom issues solved. The kitchen will have to be another discussion...

I do fine rinsing my kit after each shave with more thorough cleaning when I change blades.

But, I can easily understand the need/appeal of a thorough cleaning after every shave.

Rinse, shake, wipe exterior after each shave. Wipe inside and out on blade change. All of my razors look like the day I got them.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I'm picky about the condition and cleanliness of my razors. After each shave, I disassemble my 3 piece razors and wipe them down with a towel and leave them out to dry until the next shave when I re-assemble everything. I even wipe off the razor blade and flip it over so that it's reversed the next time I insert into the razor.

If I'm shaving with my vintage Gillettes, I remove the razorblade afterwards and wipe down the inside and outside of the razor as well as the blade.

This ritual keeps my gear shiny and new looking at all times.

Am I the only one who goes to this extent, or are there others with my sickness?

-Phil

No, your not the only one who does this Phil, anyone who values keeping their razors in top condition, will also do this. And I decided to do this before I even received my first DE razor. I too am not interested in patina, I like my razors to look nice. Once I am sure that the razors are dry, I then put them back together, and put them in the stand.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
IMG_4140.JPG

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@wheatshocker, there are two things that have me concerned. There is probably a buildup of grime in the threaded hole of your razor's handle that should be attended to daily. There is also something bad happening near the bottom of the handle.

IMG_20220907_220829.jpg
You need to pay more attention to your daily razor maintenance.

Goatrope

I do fine rinsing my kit after each shave with more thorough cleaning when I change blades.

But, I can easily understand the need/appeal of a thorough cleaning after every shave.

So, you don't flip your blade over after each shave? I thought that was good practice to improve blade sharpness for each shave and help prolong blade life.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Top Bottom