What's new

Am I falling into the rabbit hole again?

So it’s 2020 and I really don’t want to think (or talk) about all the bad news that we are hearing everywhere. And I know it’s been a while since I post here...literally, years.

During this time many things have happened... sadly, I stopped using my straight razors due to lack of time, for starters I became a father and now that he’s older it’s a bit easier to have some time to myself. I also got a DE razor and stared using that instead of the straight edge. Both faster and more convenient. (Not to mention a bit safer than having an open blade with a toddler)

I’ve been jumping around the DE and cartridge razors just because it’s faster. Doing some den cleaning always helps as I got rid of a bunch of tubes I didn’t use and I’ve been jumping between some Art of shaving creams and an old jar of Crabtree & Evelyn that my father gave me. I munch prefer the C&E over the AOS ones but that one is gone and both are better than the Cade from L’Occitane (at least for me). Last December I started a new job in which I have to be at work by 8am and with an hour long commute I have to leave home at 7, which means getting up at least at 6 if I want to have time to shower and have some breakfast so I was shaving at nights.

During the past weeks with everything that’s happening around the world we’ve been told to work from home (which is a whole different adventure with a toddler 24/7) but the point is that I’m already used to getting up early and with no commute...I have more time to enjoy my mornings... which also means that I ended up falling into the rabbit hole again with a bunch of new things. (Remember... I just cleaned my den)

First new addition is a marble shaving bowl, which for $20 bucks was quite a good deal... I also got myself a new jar of Taylor of Old Bond St. Mr. Taylor’s shaving cream, which is definitely my favourite scent. I also got the after shave splash and absolutely love it, now I’m jumping between that, a crown shaving Co. splash and of course, captain’s choice bay rum. Now I need a lighter scent for summer...still looking for one but I don’t want to spend more so I think I’ll just use the traditional Turkish lemon cologne.

I also got a Rockwell 6C and I can’t wait for mornings to shave...I’m truly enjoying it and falling in love with this all over again. I’m changing some of my shave routines, techniques and products. I’ve added a pre-shave oil and an alum block to my collection (which I didn’t have) and I’m finding the best blade for the 6C. So far I tried the Rockwell blade that came with the razor, Astra greens, Gillette Platinum Blue and Feather (the last three have been my go-to blades for a while)

Finally, I’m waiting for a tube of Triumph & Disaster old fashioned cream as for what I’ve read, it’s a light citrus scent which might be good for summer and a Fulton & Roark one...although the later is a foamless cream I do like their solid cologne so we’ll see how it turns out. If not, it could be the one I keep on my travel bag (which I’m not sure when I’ll use it) I’ve never used a foamless cream before so we’ll see what happens there and lastly, a Baxter of California after shave tonic.

I definitely ended up spending a bit more than what I expected but as we’ve been staying at home, I’m not spending money on anything else either so it balances out. I can’t remember where I read it, but as someone put it... the worst thing about shaving is that you can only do it once a day and now I’m definitely getting that feeling.

For now my routine has been the ToBS cream, the Rockwell on plate 4 for the first pass and on 2 for the second and third ones. Cold water splash, the alum block (only twice a week) the Kiehl’s post-shave repair gel and finally the after shave once.

I'm right there with you, brother; however, I think one could argue your 6C choice over the 6S shows you are exercising restraint within your spending. I don't see any harm whatsoever in your re-found passion.

So it’s 2020 and I really don’t want to think (or talk) about all the bad news that we are hearing everywhere. And I know it’s been a while since I post here...literally, years.

During this time many things have happened... sadly, I stopped using my straight razors due to lack of time, for starters I became a father and now that he’s older it’s a bit easier to have some time to myself. I also got a DE razor and stared using that instead of the straight edge. Both faster and more convenient. (Not to mention a bit safer than having an open blade with a toddler)

I’ve been jumping around the DE and cartridge razors just because it’s faster. Doing some den cleaning always helps as I got rid of a bunch of tubes I didn’t use and I’ve been jumping between some Art of shaving creams and an old jar of Crabtree & Evelyn that my father gave me. I munch prefer the C&E over the AOS ones but that one is gone and both are better than the Cade from L’Occitane (at least for me). Last December I started a new job in which I have to be at work by 8am and with an hour long commute I have to leave home at 7, which means getting up at least at 6 if I want to have time to shower and have some breakfast so I was shaving at nights.

During the past weeks with everything that’s happening around the world we’ve been told to work from home (which is a whole different adventure with a toddler 24/7) but the point is that I’m already used to getting up early and with no commute...I have more time to enjoy my mornings... which also means that I ended up falling into the rabbit hole again with a bunch of new things. (Remember... I just cleaned my den)

First new addition is a marble shaving bowl, which for $20 bucks was quite a good deal... I also got myself a new jar of Taylor of Old Bond St. Mr. Taylor’s shaving cream, which is definitely my favourite scent. I also got the after shave splash and absolutely love it, now I’m jumping between that, a crown shaving Co. splash and of course, captain’s choice bay rum. Now I need a lighter scent for summer...still looking for one but I don’t want to spend more so I think I’ll just use the traditional Turkish lemon cologne.

I also got a Rockwell 6C and I can’t wait for mornings to shave...I’m truly enjoying it and falling in love with this all over again. I’m changing some of my shave routines, techniques and products. I’ve added a pre-shave oil and an alum block to my collection (which I didn’t have) and I’m finding the best blade for the 6C. So far I tried the Rockwell blade that came with the razor, Astra greens, Gillette Platinum Blue and Feather (the last three have been my go-to blades for a while)

Finally, I’m waiting for a tube of Triumph & Disaster old fashioned cream as for what I’ve read, it’s a light citrus scent which might be good for summer and a Fulton & Roark one...although the later is a foamless cream I do like their solid cologne so we’ll see how it turns out. If not, it could be the one I keep on my travel bag (which I’m not sure when I’ll use it) I’ve never used a foamless cream before so we’ll see what happens there and lastly, a Baxter of California after shave tonic.

I definitely ended up spending a bit more than what I expected but as we’ve been staying at home, I’m not spending money on anything else either so it balances out. I can’t remember where I read it, but as someone put it... the worst thing about shaving is that you can only do it once a day and now I’m definitely getting that feeling.

For now my routine has been the ToBS cream, the Rockwell on plate 4 for the first pass and on 2 for the second and third ones. Cold water splash, the alum block (only twice a week) the Kiehl’s post-shave repair gel and finally the after shave once.
Sounds like you are off to a great start after a long time off from the scene.

I know that feeling about just shaving once a day doesn't feel like it's enough.

Rabbit holes are dangerous, especially at times like these. I've been off work for quite sometime now and been dealing with idle hands for a while.

As long as we are practicing moderation, and having fun at the same time is key.

Welcome back! My story is somewhat similar - was active on here for a few years; changed careers and didn't have the time to be logged in; and am now back. I'm working from home as well so now I use shaving as an excuse to take a break from my computer.

I'm right there with you, brother; however, I think one could argue your 6C choice over the 6S shows you are exercising restraint within your spending. I don't see any harm whatsoever in your re-found passion.
For me that would only support the idea that I could spend more on another soap or AS because I was “responsible” or I “curtailed” my spending with the razor.
That’s how that works. 👍

I absolutely agree with all of you... I showed restraint (and to avoid too many fights with the wife) and I could spend the extra in other things... some of the stuff I got was under the context of re-arranging the bathroom, which I know she likes :) ;)
and yes... I’m definitely enjoying it again.
And I read on another thread about shaving with music... my choice is mostly Star Wars soundtracks

As long as you can find 10 minutes in the day to shave you can have an enjoyable daily shave.

So I did ended up falling again... as I’m writing this I’m waiting on a sample set from imaginary authors (based on what I’ve been reading here on the forums) and my wife also liked the idea as they’re unisex so it will be our anniversary present... and I finally pulled the trigger on a MdC soap. I read about it about 6 or 7 years ago when I started wet shaving with a shavette and always wanted one. I went with the original scent as although I like woody scents like Mr Taylor’s, I do love anything lavender.

Funny reading your post OP - I am in a very similar situation. Started the journey back in 2014, accumulated far too much, spent a lot of time on B&B, but life changed and I ended up away for the last 3 or so years.

Since then I've managed through my entire built up inventory and the need to actually purchase a shave soap brought me back here. It's feels great to be home.

Top Bottom