What's new

Am I crazy?

Hi,

My trusty old Timex electric died so I ordered a manual Vostok Komandirskie Paratrooper watch. I kind of understand there is a bit of a cult following of these watches. Anyone here have any opinions on them?

Legion

Staff member
I don't own a Komandirskie, but I have had several Amphibia's and I really like those. I get more compliments on those watches from watch geeks than when I wear Swiss watches that cost WAY more money, which is funny.

They are quirky, but pretty bullet proof, and inexpensive.

You probably wont have the accuracy of your quartz, and I don't think the Komandirskie is waterproof, but there is something nice about a mechanical watch. And winding a manual is a relaxing little ritual in the morning, I find.

Anyway, a Vostok is an inexpensive way to see if a mechanical watch is for you, so I don't think you are crazy.

Hi,

Yeah, I don't expect quartz accuracy either. If I need that, I can check the time with my phone I suppose. I'm old enough to remember when it was either a manual wind or automatic choice. So I've owned some of each, but that was decades ago. I wonder how long it will take me to remember to wind every day.

I did look long and hard at the Amphibia, there are so many choices! But they all just seemed a bit to busy for my taste. The simple Paratrooper just called to me. But it was a very close choice as the automatic wind is appealing. Perhaps there is one in my future. They are not overly expensive to buy.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I say, if you like the way it looks, go for it! The word is that the straps are garbage, so you probably want to budget for a different one. Water resistance is 30M, but it has a screw down crown. I hear it’s fine for light swimming and water sports. You’d want the Amphibia for actual diving or prolonged exposure to water.

Looks like there is a BnB model. ...well sort of close if your eyesight is not perfect. :biggrin1:

proxy.php

Anyone here have any opinions on them?

I like them. I have Amphibia and Komandirskie models. Hard to find ones that are not too busy looking, but to me they are great watches. What is not to like! (Except I agree re the straps on the Komandirskie. Pretty bad. Lots of fairly priced replacement straps out there, though.)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
There are a couple Vostoks that I like the looks of, just haven’t pulled the trigger yet

Hi,

Well, my Kommandirskie Paratrooper arrived in the post office today. I swapped out the factory strap for a blue NATO and I'm happy. It's neither too big nor too small and I think it looks as good in person as it did in the photos. I will try to get some photos tomorrow.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and not every time piece needs to be tied to an official atomic clock or have a quartz movement. There was a time that there were no such things and we got along just fine without them. Besides, I'm semi-retired now and have little need for being on time to the second or even minute. But if I really need such accuracy in time keeping, I've got my smart phone. Different things for different needs perhaps.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Hi,

Well, my Kommandirskie Paratrooper arrived in the post office today. I swapped out the factory strap for a blue NATO and I'm happy. It's neither too big nor too small and I think it looks as good in person as it did in the photos. I will try to get some photos tomorrow.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and not every time piece needs to be tied to an official atomic clock or have a quartz movement. There was a time that there were no such things and we got along just fine without them. Besides, I'm semi-retired now and have little need for being on time to the second or even minute. But if I really need such accuracy in time keeping, I've got my smart phone. Different things for different needs perhaps.
Enjoy- that would be my choice, too.

Hi,

As promised a picture of my Vostok
kommandirskie.jpg

I was drawn to the light blue fading to white watch face. Though the blue is a bit darker than the photo shows. And the smaller gold Paratrooper emblem is very tasteful I think. Overall, I think it's not too busy to look at while still being interesting to my eye. The Nato strap is a bit darker blue than I might like, but the black hardware goes with the black hands and numbers very nicely.

Top Bottom