What's new

Am I considered a heathen.....

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Am I considered a heathen for considering the GEM Lightweight as one of the smoothest and most pleasurable razors I own?

Picture from my last shave with the Lightweight on 11/11:

photostudio_1573511012181.jpg

Sure gets along with my face. :)

Nice pic..! I just use what ever I feel like using on a daily basis. Even an electric at times when my neck is irritated which does not happen often with the Game Changer .68.

Not at all. That is the goal, to find what works best for the individual.
Congratulations on finding a great razor and shave.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
The more I shave with SE razors the more I find they are incredibly underrated.

I have very good luck with most of the GEM SE, especially the earlier ones. The lightweight doesn't work quite as well for me, but still gets rotated in periodically.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Naw, so don't put it on yer business card. :001_smile

What it means is that you've found a razor that works particularly well for you. Cherish that.

You may find others, but for now protect this one with your life!

I find the ER 1914 to be one of those for me, also (switching formats) the ATT S2.

I try to keep my razors in a portable case. If I have time to grab it while running away from the zombie apocalypse I won't have to look for my favourites. (OK...thin reason. I get that.)

O.H.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Not at all, I only have one SE, an Ever Ready 1912, but I love it now I have worked out how to shave my top lip thanks to advice from B&B. Given the absurd prices fetched by many vintage DE razors these days I can see me assembling a modest SE collection; I like the looks of the Streamline as my next acquisition.

Use whatever works for you.

I have not shaved with a GEM type razor since I was a teenager. My dad had one, so I tried his. I never liked the spring loaded cap. I preferred the Schick injector razor Type L that was available at the time. I no longer have that razor, but wish I did.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Naw, so don't put it on yer business card. :001_smile

What it means is that you've found a razor that works particularly well for you. Cherish that.

You may find others, but for now protect this one with your life!

I find the ER 1914 to be one of those for me, also (switching formats) the ATT S2.

I try to keep my razors in a portable case. If I have time to grab it while running away from the zombie apocalypse I won't have to look for my favourites. (OK...thin reason. I get that.)

O.H.

I love it. Zombie Apocalypse - Grab The Razors!!! 🤣

That would be the Gem Feather Weight I would believe, circa 1953 to 1958.

Spirituality aside, it is too light weight for me to be an effective shaver. I find the handle to be attractive, though, but not ergonomically friendly. YMMV

TL: DR this entire thread. Whatever makes your face and your SO happy doesn't make you a heathen, it makes you a smart person for finding the right shave.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I really appreciate everyone's feedback.

Guess I have accepted that I really prefer mild razors. The results are better (for me) and my face is happier. :)

It is so great that the wide variety of razors, from mild to four-alarm bruisers, is out there and available. :)

Just my opinion and YMMV.

I've got two of those. I much prefer them to other kinds of GEM razors.

Very mild and efficient. One pass with one of those and I'm done.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I've got two of those. I much prefer them to other kinds of GEM razors.

Very mild and efficient. One pass with one of those and I'm done.

Glad you are finding the Featherweight to work well.

One of the main things I like is that the Featherweight is really nimble. Very maneuverable. :)

Top Bottom