What's new

Am I being weird?

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I wanted to consult you guys.
For some reason I have this weird fear every time I try a new razor. No, not that it will be bad, but that it will be TOO GOOD. I mean, if it will be extremely good for me, I will almost automatically want a spare, and that's more spending. What if the razor falls of the floor, or will get lost, or the production stops, or something else happens. Is that even logical or am I going crazy? I can't get a spare for every razor!

I used to think like that...somewhat. Afraid of things I like running out and no longer available. A razor maybe, or a soap or a scent. Now I just go with the flow as I realized that something better is always on the horizon. You’ll always be able to find a better razor or a better soap or scent. The market is fluid and there will always be a better mousetrap.

I have the same issue. But I rationalize it as "the zamak razor heads might snap off and get stuck in the handle, so I better have a replacement lined up just in case." 😁

It might be weird, but you’re certainly not alone. I do the same thing, with a lot of things in my life. Shaving equipment, boots, jackets, etc. I’ve never thought of it as fear driven, but when I find something I know I like and that works for me, I like knowing that I be able to enjoy it for a good long while before I need to think about a replacement. Everything’s temporary, if you’ve found something of quality and that’s of value to you, nothing wrong with having a backup 👍🏼

I have a tendency to buy long before I need to replace with most things. I always have a spare bottle of V8 and box of prunes in the pantry with the ones I'm working on are still in the fridge.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
For some reason I have this weird fear every time I try a new razor. No, not that it will be bad, but that it will be TOO GOOD. I mean, if it will be extremely good for me, I will almost automatically want a spare, and that's more spending. What if the razor falls of the floor, or will get lost, or the production stops, or something else happens. Is that even logical or am I going crazy? I can't get a spare for every razor!
There’s a hint of OCD in there, I suspect. And backups won’t alleviate your ‘fear’, as you’ll likely rationalize getting backups for the backups. Then, we’ll watch you on the March 2025 episode of Hoarders. Be careful there.

I used to think like that...somewhat. Afraid of things I like running out and no longer available. A razor maybe, or a soap or a scent. Now I just go with the flow as I realized that something better is always on the horizon. You’ll always be able to find a better razor or a better soap or scent. The market is fluid and there will always be a better mousetrap.

Exactly my journey and experience 👍

Even with rare vintage razors I’ve found after overpaying for a ‘unique condition’ model that suddenly 2 more and better pop up...

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Nothing beats these old traps, though.
1610031964031.gif

I am that way about razor blades. I have two blades that are superior to all others in comfort and sharpness that I have tested. The Personna Reds, which may or may not be out of production and the Polsilver/Wizamet IRs. I have a combined 650 of those and thinking of buying more. With razors, not so much. I have a Rockwell 6S and my Timeless stainless steel razor should arrive today. Those razors should outlast me. My other razors I can easily live without.

I used to feel this way about everything. I used to have lots of backups, now I have barely any. Don't get me wrong as I have plenty of stuff, just not a lot of backups. The cure is to buy a bunch of backup stuff, put it away in a shoebox in your closet and open it up at a later date, well after a bunch of newer better stuff has come along. Suddenly that box of inferior products doesn't seem like it was such a great idea anymore.

Point is that there is always innovation, and products can and do get better over time. In terms of something like a favorite soap scent goes, sure you might not get the same scent, but you can likely end up with a better performing product in a different scent. There is no shortage of great stuff to pick from now, and there certainly will be excellent products to choose from going forward.

I wouldn't stress about it. My advice would be to just buy what you want or need now.

Unfortunately, I believe the correct answer to your question is, yes you are being weird. That makes you not at all unusual around here. I don't personally have that particular weirdness - I have never broken or lost a razor, so I see no need for backups. OTOH, I have 9 different razors and will likely buy more. When I was a child, my mother used to say, "How many pairs of sneakers can you wear at once?", and I'm sure if she were still alive she would ask the same about razors. My advice would be to stop buying duplicates and spend that money on expanding your variety. That, however, would be just exchanging your weird tendencies for mine.

I think this is just a part of the F.O.M.O. phenomenon - albeit a pretty niche part ;)

We're probably all guilty of this on occasion e.g. I'll buy product X because it's on sale, because I've heard rumours that the manufacturer might be going out of business, because I might break the one I already have, because it might give me that perfect shave, because insert other random reason here....

But, let's face it - it keeps our hobby interesting :thumbup:

Now this is interesting. TBH, the idea never crossed my mind. Somehow, I've never taught about Muhle or Feather going out of business. But then, even if they do, there'll be a secondary market for many products, thanks to guys like yourself who accumulate tons of gear they don't actually need.

So, I'd say - go ahead and buy your backups, than some more backups of the backups. if things turn sour, at least I know who to turn to for supplies 😁 😂 🤣

Or... by the time there are no more razors to be had anywhere in the world, in some apocalyptical scenario, I might just grow a beard.

Well, I'm new around here and as soon as my Tabac soap got delivered, I started searching - how long does a Tabac soap last ?

Same goes for Mitchell's Wool Fat soap, even though it is yet to be delivered.

For me, the reason is high delivery charges and import fees, that's why I'd rather buy it in bulk and pay delivery charges one time rather than again and again.

What is your reason ?

How strong is the urge to keep a replacement ready ?

How feasible is the urge ?
I mean, getting another Timeless or CB razor is a far cry and almost in the neighborhood of cry for help.

But, getting the copies / back-up supply of head of a razor which uses Zamac head, a handle that goes well with your shave, a soap that you love to use are according to me acceptable.

Top Bottom