What's new

Always wanted an Old Spice mug

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Richard..... I've been looking for a Wade mug with lid for the last six months. If you are willing to part with one of your Wade mugs I'd be glad to trade a Ship Grand Turk (the first Old Spice mug) for it.
Thank you but these two will be staying with me for a while, they took me a long time to find. That's a very impressive collection you have, lovely bottles. Good luck with your search.

forum.jpg

Last edited:

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Here's a public service announcement. There's a guy who listed one on the BST last night that he's giving away. As in for free, he's just asking for whoever gets it to pay the shipping cost.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Shavers of a certain vintage might remember lyrics that went something like these:

. . . said the captain to the bosun,
look for the bottle with the ship
that sails the ocean!
Yo ho, yo ho, yo ho . . .

I have one at each house- two, that I use to soak my brush tips while I shower. Both were thrift store finds from back in the day when these were common, as was finding some mostly full Avon bottles.

I have one at each house- two, that I use to soak my brush tips while I shower. Both were thrift store finds from back in the day when these were common, as was finding some mostly full Avon bottles.

I think the proliferation of lower end 'antique' stores and vintages 'malls' means the thrift stores are quickly picked over by pros. Old Spice mugs are pretty common in my hunting grounds, but many are wildly over priced IMO.

The Grand Turk pottery mug is an elusive one. To this day, I haven't been able to find one.

I haven't seen a wild Grand Turk pottery mug. My Friendship pottery mug was hiding in plain sight among a typically large vintage mall presentation of coffee mugs, and consequently quite cheap.

The lone old spice mug was given out to merchants for selling their product , the other set is the coffee mug with lid , without lid and the plain one was an over production of old spice base mugs never used ( the bottom is embossed with old spice ) and the famed blue mug only available for one year. I also have about 10 of the other shaving mugs with the grand turk and the friendship.

Attachments

• old spice mug 2.jpg
    old spice mug 2.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 30
  • Old spice mug.jpg
    Old spice mug.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 29
Wow, those are some incredible collections of OS mugs you guys have! I just added my very first to my collection of shaving mugs. Mine is a "Ship Grand Turk Salem - 1786" version:

Old Spice mug 1.jpg

Old Spice mug 2.jpg

The mug was a pick up from a local vintage/antiques shop and it came with a nice Stanhome badger brush:

stanhome badger brush.jpg

Currently, I have a puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap (direct from Kent) in the mug and I am really enjoying using this vintage badger hair brush.

Tim

Wow, those are some incredible collections of OS mugs you guys have! I just added my very first to my collection of shaving mugs. Mine is a "Ship Grand Turk Salem - 1786" version:

View attachment 1209838
View attachment 1209841

The mug was a pick up from a local vintage/antiques shop and it came with a nice Stanhome badger brush:

View attachment 1209840

Currently, I have a puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap (direct from Kent) in the mug and I am really enjoying using this vintage badger hair brush.

Tim

Nice mug, one of my favorites of the usefully short late designs. Love that vintage brush! If that knot is the original, you have a very good-looking mistura to enjoy.

Nice mug, one of my favorites of the usefully short late designs. Love that vintage brush! If that knot is the original, you have a very good-looking mistura to enjoy.

Yes, I suspect the knot is original and its solidly held in the brush body :thumbup:. The brush looks as old as the petrified shaving soap that came in the mug. It was so degraded though that it literally fell apart and looked real nasty colored when I tried working up a lather.

Still a nice mug and brush set for $20.

Tim

Mistura is Portuguese for mixture, and refers to a mix of badger and boar. Semogue makes some.

That's what the 'badger and bristle' on your brush is saying. The knots are meant to take advantage of the benefits of each type of hair.

In Italian (on my Omega 11047 for example) they label it as tasso (badger) & setola (boar bristle).
6B9221ED-3468-45C4-884C-2B4DC1D31D64.jpeg

Top Bottom