What's new

Always wanted a Butterscotch

After seeing the thread ( Butterscotch Eye Candy) when it was originally posted I couldn't get a Butterscotch out of my mind. And now I see it's been added to again. LOVE it!.
Well I made a few out of what was called Butterscotch but I felt it looked more like a Creamsicle. So I decided to make my own stock. After several tries I came up with this formula that I think got me in the ballpark. Now I can adjust it anyway I like to lighten , darken ( I think this is dark enough ) or add a more orange hue to it ,, well, whatever I want to see. My next ones will be to the lighter tanish(?) with a touch of the orange overtones. I should be able to match any color I like.
Here you can see the results of my efforts as well as the style ( color) I consider more of the Creamsicle.
I couldn't post it in the "Thread" as this is an imposter. One day I'll find my true Butterscotch, THEN I can post it there.
By the way, it's a 22mm best Badger knot 50mm loft , Handle 53mm H.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Impostor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:scared:

Nah, looks good.

Some real butterscotch have that marbling that you see in your creamsicle one (not as vivid, though.) I got a new one yesterday which has it, I'll try and post a pic in the next day or two.

I'd love to see it.
Yes, I think mine is too monotone. Now I need to play again and see if I can't get some marbling , as you say, into the mix. I like the challenge, I find it relaxing. I spend my days making everyone else happy,, playing with anything related to shaving is my way to unwind. If it's not this,, I'm happy to spend an evening just looking at,, or polishing my collection of razors. ( stupid huh?) Then an idea pops in my head and off I go again.
It's a curse I tell 'ya. First razors,, then soaps... then colognes,, now brushes. Oh no,, now I'm finding straights interesting. I'm doomed!

The one on the left is really, really beautiful. And it doesn't look like an imposter at all; it looks like the real deal!

Nice work.:thumbup1:

Oh no,, now I'm finding straights interesting. I'm doomed!

Don't resist. It's way more fun than a DE. Are my shaves better than a DE shave? Not yet. But they're more fun.
I regret all the antique stores I looked at in remote locations that had tons of straights I passed up. So the later you start, the more you miss out on (or at least I did).

But all that's unrelated. Nice brushes! You've been turning some great handles.

Nice colors i like the butterscorch better than the swirl.A little simple in design compared to the first ones you showed us though.

So I decided to make my own stock. After several tries I came up with this formula that I think got me in the ballpark. Now I can adjust it anyway I like to lighten , darken ( I think this is dark enough ) or add a more orange hue to it ,, well, whatever I want to see. My next ones will be to the lighter tanish(?) with a touch of the orange overtones. I should be able to match any color I like.

Nice job :thumbup1:

( Even if it isn't REAL butterscotch ( and nice job on admitting it :biggrin1: ) :tongue_sm

I love the shape of some of the handles you're turning !!! :thumbup1:

So you are putting a "coating" onto the handle to simulate the butterscotch or using a solid colour blank ???

Impostor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:scared:
Some real butterscotch have that marbling that you see in your creamsicle one (not as vivid, though.)

Any "butterscotch" with marbling it it isn't really butterscotch ( IMHO ). :tongue_sm

True butterscotch is made of Catalin which started off a solid faux ivory colour and the butterscotch effect is some sort of "surface" chemical reaction. If you "dig" deep enough you'll get back to the faux ivory core.

The swirly/marbled "butterscotch" is made of bakelite. Bakelite had to have a strengthening agent put in it, paper, cloth, asbestsos :bored: That's why you see the whirls. While there might be minor colour differences over time, I think that bakelite pretty much started "butterscotch" in the first place. It'll be pretty much the same colour all the way through the handle.

Catalin and bakelite are of the same "family" of compounds but different :huh:

But of course I'm just overanalyzing and nit picking :001_smile

For a complete over analysis see here :tongue_sm

Last edited:
Well gentlemen,,I'm humbled. I really don't know what to say except ,
Thank you. Your comments are more than generous!
Thank you as well for the information on the true progress of butterscotch. I'm working on formulas to mimic the swirl patterns as well as more solids. To each his own as it's said,,,YMMV. But I want them all in all their variations and beauty.
This , by the way isn't a coating. The color is through and through. I can easily mix any paints to match this,,but......I personally wouldn't be happy with just a coating. Scratch it and the piece would be ruined. I don't want that in my collection and I couldn't waste my time doing that.. It took some time of trial and error to achieve this look and I'm getting happier with each new "recipe". Yes, these are my own blanks I'm making prior to turning them. If it's custom,, it's custom all the way.
Of course they'll always be imposters,,but I'll get it as close as I can. I can't rest with "pretty good",, or "close". That would just nag me to death to where I wouldn't be happy using any of them. Just me I guess.
Handle shapes? It's a nuanced thing. Something about the flow of the lines,, the balance of shapes,,If it doesn't say Ahhh to me,, it goes into the trash To date about 12 have ended up there. . Again, just me and what I look for. guess I'm too anal at times, but it's my way to relax after dealing with my clients during the day.

Mark,

I'm just so impressed by the work of the Artisans on this board.

Now me, I've got potential ( maybe ), but that's about it.

Two left big toes and yes they're on my hands !!!! :lol:

Keep up the good work !!!!!

( and don't worry about my jibes about imposters and fakes.... I certainly appreciate the workmanship involved :biggrin1: )

Last edited:
Top Bottom