What's new

Aluminum razors. Which ones do you use or would you like to try?

I'm finding ,also , that the Aluminum Timeless is more aggressive than my SS Timeless.68, which is my favorite razor.

Kind of disappointed!

Timeless Aluminum – used it this morning on 6-days growth. Two pass shave, no cuts, no weeper and very close. As a daily shaver it is too rough for me, but when I want a really close shave, this is my go-to razor.

Gap alone gives you very little info to judge whether a razor will "perform" or not; you need to look at blade exposure.
... The Timeless aluminum has a relatively small gap but lots of positive exposure, and is more efficient than the stainless Timeless with almost double the gap, but less exposure.
Very interesting
Want:
...RR Lupo (maybe a bit too mild for me?)
I have the Lupo and I can confirm that it is an interesting razor. Excellent depth, a little less than ATT H1
The Timeless Aluminum is a super efficient, I find it more aggressive than the Ti.95 Scalloped.
Gap isn't everything.
I probably underestimated the Timeless's ability to shave deep and delicate!

I do not plan on getting an aluminum razor as I like heavier razors. However, I can understand why some people might like them. This is yet another YMMV item in the shaving world.

Indeed. Thats why one never knows until one has actually tried it. Poor excuse to go on a shopping spree but alas! :D

Have the Timeless Aluminum and the RR Hawk 2, both are aluminum. Like them both for different reasons. I also own brass and stainless steel razors. As for the weight, within a few strokes, I have adjusted and the weight is no longer a factor in the shave. I do prefer stainless or brass, but only because they are more substantial, look sharper and are less prone to breakage.

I do not plan on getting an aluminum razor as I like heavier razors. However, I can understand why some people might like them.
Let's say the world is beautiful because it is varied! One of the reasons that pushes me to prefer aluminum razors over heavier is the following: if I wanted to caress my face with an object I would prefer to do it with a 10 grams feather rather than a one kilo weight. I am taking the discussion to the extreme but with a light tool you can be very kind and measure out the strength that is given when placing the razor on your face.

I would not use Aluminium for 2 reasons. First is Aluminium is very soft and threads in this material don't last very long. Even if Aluminium alloy like AlMgSi1 is used, the chances of threads shearing off after repeated use are very high. Second is pitting. In contact with moisture, Aluminium doesn't retain a good surface unless anodised. And with anodising too the protection doesn't last very long.

So yes I prefer SS or brass over Aluminium or Zamak.

I would not use Aluminium for 2 reasons. First is Aluminium is very soft and threads in this material don't last very long. Even if Aluminium alloy like AlMgSi1 is used, the chances of threads shearing off after repeated use are very high. Second is pitting. In contact with moisture, Aluminium doesn't retain a good surface unless anodised. And with anodising too the protection doesn't last very long.

So yes I prefer SS or brass over Aluminium or Zamak.

Aside from handling qualities, which are very subjective, Al is softer (already mentioned, although it can be hardened substantially) than any other materials from which razors are made, except pure gold or light plastic, and more prone to scratches and dents. It is also more subject to corrosion (hence anodizing) from the things it will encounter every day in the course of shaving - water, soap, and disinfecting solutions. It's lighter weight than just about anything else (except for plastic), less expensive (generally), and cast aluminum will structurally likely last the lifetime of a person, but will definitely show more wear over time.

M

member 119848

Great thread @RogarTailer !

I had many sorts of razors in the past, including ones made of stainless steel and even bronze. Because I prefer light razors, so I went back to bakelite and aluminum.
The aluminum ones are more rigid than the bakelite ones, and mostly CNC machined, so that´s why I value Aluminum over any other material. Titanium is interesting but costly.

In the future I´d like to try one of these: ATT Calypso, a PAA DOC Ascension, and may be a Karve (if the aluminum version comes out again).

Here are my current razors:
  • Timeless .45
  • Razorock Lupo
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2c8.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2c2.jpg

I only have a Karve Aluminum with C plate. It’s very light but I like the way it shaves. It’s been designated as my travel razor. My 21-year old son uses the Karve Al with B plate. It’s his only razor.

I'm finding ,also , that the Aluminum Timeless is more aggressive than my SS Timeless.68, which is my favorite razor.

Two pass shave, no cuts, no weeper and very close. As a daily shaver it is too rough for me, but when I want a really close shave, this is my go-to razor.

The Aluminum Timeless is awesome. Lots of blade exposure. Very Efficient.

If you've tried the Timeless Al and the Bronze .38 can you compare them? I had the bronze but it was too heavy.

Are Al razors generally more aggressive than their SS counterparts? I had the ATT Calypso M2 but found it more aggressive than the SS line. Great razor but not every day.

Great thread @RogarTailer !

I had many sorts of razors in the past, including ones made of stainless steel and even bronze. Because I prefer light razors, so I went back to bakelite and aluminum.
The aluminum ones are more rigid than the bakelite ones, and mostly CNC machined, so that´s why I value Aluminum over any other material. Titanium is interesting but costly.

In the future I´d like to try one of these: ATT Calypso, a PAA DOC Ascension, and may be a Karve (if the aluminum version comes out again).

Here are my current razors:
  • Timeless .45
  • Razorock Lupo
View attachment 1100818 View attachment 1100819
I like using an Aluminum as a change of pace from my SS razors.

Currently have:

Timeless .45
ATT Calypso with M1 and H1 plates
RazoRock Hawk V2

If you've tried the Timeless Al and the Bronze .38 can you compare them? I had the bronze but it was too heavy.

Are Al razors generally more aggressive than their SS counterparts? I had the ATT Calypso M2 but found it more aggressive than the SS line. Great razor but not every day.
Timeless Aluminum definitely lighter than the Bronze but some say it’s more aggressive. I personally don’t agree with that. I can get nice shaves with it, but, you need to be careful with it as it can bite.

I don’t think you can generalize and say all Aluminum razors are more aggressive than their SS counterpart. Each razor has their own characteristics. I have the Aluminum Calypso ATT and the Classic SS Atlas & Kronos ATT and find both razors pretty equal in aggressiveness with the same M1 or R1 plates. The lack of weight oftentimes causes us to use some pressure on the razor. YMMV.

RR Lupo is great
RR SLOC 2 is horrible
Gillette "black beauty" works great
Gillette "black tip" I just don't get great shaves (probably my razor was abused or neglected before)
Gillette "blue tip" surprised how smooth and good it shaves....
RR the one that uses half blades....total garbage... blade chatter.

I don’t think you can generalize and say all Aluminum razors are more aggressive than their SS counterpart. Each razor has their own characteristics.

Sure, just my experience with ATT specifically. Equally could be a pressure thing. Or not. I've only tried Al razors from ATT so far. Could also be the open comb.

M

member 119848

I had the bronze for a while, and then sold it because of its weigh... and also because it demanded to be polished. That´s why I went for the aluminum after that.
From my experience the bronze feels more comfortable, and much better suited to be used as a daily. Sometimes I´m thinking about buying the bronze back again.

Karve opened up a wait list on their Aluminum Razors yesterday and there are still spots available. This time around there is no $ down to get on the wait and you will not be charged until the razor is in stock and ready to ship. It might take a year for stock but I signed up, you can also decline the razor when it becomes available at no charge.. I didn't see any risk in this and upside if I really like the razor..

Top Bottom