What's new

Alum/styptic

I use both depending on the results of my shave. Alum stick if I have some irritation or small weepers. If I have that rare weeper that won’t quit or a cut, then the Stypic Pencil is pulled out.

i have both a Alum block and the proraso gel the block is used for weepers and the gel is for where i have nicked myself . with the gel i found just a small bb size on the finger tip goes a long way also remove the air from the tube before putting the lid on stops it going hard.

I bought an alum block when I first started shaving and used it to stop bleeding. I very rarely use it now as it serves no beneficial purpose for me. I dislike that it reduces the burn I get when applying aftershave. I absolutely must have an intense post shave burn and am quite prepared to shave too close in order to get it.
Hell yes

I use a LEA deodorant stick which is just a big alum block in a plastic holder. I've had it for years and it hasn't worn down much at all; it's hard as a rock.

1605476351091.png

You can find similar products at Whole Foods or online. I got mine from Gifts & Care.

Alum blocks work pretty well for very shallow cuts and nicks. They help somewhat with irritation and razor burn but I found with daily use after my shave (in-lieu of alcohol based aftershave) that it dried out my skin a lot and made it worse off for the next shave and aggravated blemishes. Proraso's styptic gel is a phenomenal choice imo for any bleeding and cuts. Just apply a small dab, let it stop the bleeding and wipe it away with a bit of water after a minute. Just make sure the cap is screwed on properly otherwise it'll dry up and become unusable. I don't really use my alum anymore, there really isn't a need.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I use an Omega alum stick after every shave, and leave it on while I clean my razor. Except for closeness, I use the alum burn almost exclusively to determine the quality of the shave.

Last edited:
My styptic pencil is only the second one I've ever bought. The first I picked up at a Walmart (pre-grocery era) in about 1986 and kept it for a great many years. However, I used it only rarely, because I was much more an electric shaver boy in those days. For a special occasion like a date I'd drag out the cartridge, and half the time I'd need the pencil.

It finally shrank to an unusable stub, and I bought a Clubman pencil a few years ago. I also use it rarely, thank goodness, as my technique has improved to the point where I rarely need it.

Alum...but not for why you think.

Not as a fix for a cut. Alum is a stupendous underarm deoderant. Seriously, it is the best. Underarm odor is the product of the...excrement...of bacteria living in your armpits. Yes...excrement. Feces, some call it.

That be what stinks. But applying alum to your armpits after a shower, well, the salt creates an environment in which bacteria cannot exist. Additionally, it is an oderless deoderant. So it will not "compete" with your aftershave.

I still want to know:

I’ve got an alum block that I use sparingly on persistent weepers or nicks.

It’s basically a form of salt, no? It makes your skin pucker-up, and makes your armpits inhospitable to micro organisms.
So that’s good…but I don’t get coating one’s whole face with it.

Alum...but not for why you think.

Not as a fix for a cut. Alum is a stupendous underarm deoderant. Seriously, it is the best. Underarm odor is the product of the...excrement...of bacteria living in your armpits. Yes...excrement. Feces, some call it.

That be what stinks. But applying alum to your armpits after a shower, well, the salt creates an environment in which bacteria cannot exist. Additionally, it is an oderless deoderant. So it will not "compete" with your aftershave.
Relax. It’s not poop, just wet farts.

I have both an alum block and a Styptic pencil. During my Post-shave I always use my alum block even if I don't have any blood flowing, I guess it's just a habit that I picked up from watching Geofatboy videos. I will also put a little alum on my fingers to aid in skin stretching, which Is usually during a shavette shave. My Styptic pencil comes to the rescue when I've f&#*ed up so badly even cold water and the Alum block can't stop the bleeding.

• Haha
Reactions: Anu

linty1

My wallet cries.
I use these little styptic matchbooks, it's a matchbook but instead of matches it's tipped with styptic, one time use per stick. It's easy to use for me. I also just opened a tube of Clubman liquid seal styptic something something... I forget the exact name of it. While it's not hard to use, just dab and rinse off the applicator, I don't like the extra step of rinsing off the applicator. It works though.

Styptic pens and alum blocks are nice, but kinda fragile for clumsy me. I'm still on my first alum block (a deodorant style one with a nice base to grip) but have broken a few pens to the point where I don't use/buy the pen ones anymore.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I can't remember the last time I used a styptic pencil, which is a good thing as I find the experience like adding insult (or more pain) to injury.

The alum block I unfortunately use a few times a year when a weeper doesn't stop after the cold water rinse.

I've been cursed with sanity, so I have no idea what it's like to enjoy a burning sensation. :a47:

After shaving, I clean face with Witch Hazel. After dying it, I wipe a wet alum block all over my face. I then apply the A/S, f/b buffing for any hair the A/S raises up.

I use my styptic pencil for nicks or weepers the alum doesn't stop.

Top Bottom