What's new

Alum shave stick vs deodorant

[SE=5]Simple question but I'm not sure of the answer... I use an alum stick for deodorant. I have a separate alum stick that I purchased for shaving. Are these interchangeable? Is there any difference in the chemical makeup of alum used for deodorant vs as an astringent after shaving?
many thanks![/SI

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, no difference. It may sound gross but I actually use the same exact block that I rub on my face for my pits. I shave after showering so it's all clean. :p

There are two types of alum you'll find though. Potassium aluminum sulfate and ammonium aluminum sulfate. Both of them are interchangeable and can be used for the face or for underarm deodorant, but ammonium aluminum sulfate hurts more when it burns so it's not usually desired for the face.

Nope, no difference. It may sound gross but I actually use the same exact block that I rub on my face for my pits. I shave after showering so it's all clean. :p

There are two types of alum you'll find though. Potassium aluminum sulfate and ammonium aluminum sulfate. Both of them are interchangeable and can be used for the face or for underarm deodorant, but ammonium aluminum sulfate hurts more when it burns so it's not usually desired for the face.

+1

No difference between the two.

I also use one stick for both.

I'd actually rather use the stick over the regular "shaving" alumn block because it's way cheaper.

I use the RazoRock one as deodorant because it has that little plastic holder on the end and use a regular block on my face. I know they're the same thing, but I still prefer not to rub something on my face after rubbing the same thing on my underarms (even if they are clean). BTW, I've been using alum as deodorant with a swipe of Speick deodorant for a few months and it has been working great!

I'm a fan. I started using this maybe 5 years ago. It runs maybe 6 bucks but I kid you not, this stick will last you 6 months. Works as an alum block on your face too although I do not feel the need for that anymore. As far as a deodorant you need to hang in there and get used to it. It's a a paradigm shift for sure. You will still sweat but you will not smell. Eventually I started sweating less. Don't dry your underarms after a shower then apply or get the stick wet then apply sparingly an inch or two above and below your armpit as well. It's not for everyone. I'm pretty sure as a young man loaded with hormones and sweating profusely I would not have been able to use this. As I got older things changed and I grew tired of the underarm irritation and yellow stains on my white shirts, also the possible damage I was doing clogging up my sweat glands with aluminum did I make the switch. I'm glad I did, it's an after thought now.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406217698.376523.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a fan. I started using this maybe 5 years ago. It runs maybe 6 bucks but I kid you not, this stick will last you 6 months. Works as an alum block on your face too although I do not feel the need for that anymore. As far as a deodorant you need to hang in there and get used to it. It's a a paradigm shift for sure. You will still sweat but you will not smell. Eventually I started sweating less. Don't dry your underarms after a shower then apply or get the stick wet then apply sparingly an inch or two above and below your armpit as well. It's not for everyone. I'm pretty sure as a young man loaded with hormones and sweating profusely I would of not been able to use this. As I got older things change and I grew tired of the underarm irritation and yellow stains on my white shirts, also the possible damage I was doing clogging up my sweat glands with aluminum did I make the switch. I'm glad I did, it's an after thought now.
View attachment 476016

That is what I am using now, Royce. I truly thought it was gimmicky until it held up during the most humid conditions my geographical location offers. Great post.

I know I strayed just a bit from the premise here. The coffee told me a PSA was in order. Carry on and enjoy the day.

I also love the alum as deodorant and have been using it for years ( only a recent DE convert). Note : deodorant is not the same as anti-persperant

I've been using a small alum block (Razorock's 60g Alum stick) on my face for a month. My skin is in great shape and the precise stinging feedback has helped me improve my technique to the point of having comfortable shaves.

I also started using Razorock's Aloe Alum Spray Deodorant (120 ml) yesterday and it seems to be a perfect replacement to the "synthetic wax" I'd been using all my life. Once that's done, I may simply use an alum block as it's as effective, healthy, and much much cheaper!!!

Been using the alum stick more as deodorant than aftershave stick for some time sweat a lot and it works great! Thought I was only one doing so.

Recently I was using the RazoRock alum stick as a deodorant, and it seemed to be working. But then I noticed several times where it smelled, and I was wondering how well it was working.

How much do you apply - or better stated - how long do you rub the alum?

Does your body get used to this and over time you don't smell as much?

I never thought of using an alum block for a deodorant, I use a mineral salt stone as a deodorant. I'm definitely going to look for the crystal stick pictured above as the stone is a bit awkward, especially when wet, but it does work.

$thai-crystal-deodorant-stone.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom