What's new

Alum for shaving vs alum for deodorant

It's been some time since I've done the research on this, but some of you probably know. So, alum is a mainstay for many of our shave dens. There have been some alum deodorants on the market for a little while now. Some of you use that as your alum for your face. But, if I'm not mistaken, there is an actual difference in the alum on the market for deodorant and the alum we buy for wet shaving. Does anyone know the difference? And, does the difference...uh...make a difference?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
They sell basically ammonium alum and potassium alum for deodorant. Most alum blocks used for shaving are potassium alum. If you buy potassium alum deodorant, like Lafes, there is no difference. My wife has ammonium alum and I've used it on occasion for shaving. I cannot tell a difference between any of them. They work equally as well.

As said, potassium alum is the most commonly used for both shaving and deodorant. You should be able to check the ingredients. Natural alum can contain impurities, so natural is not always best.

As said, potassium alum is the most commonly used for both shaving and deodorant. You should be able to check the ingredients. Natural alum can contain impurities, so natural is not always best.

Great point! Natural may not be the best option.

Ok, so we have
ammonium alum and potassium alum. Pros and cons of each? Surely there are some. Not everything is created equally.

Ammonium alum stings more than Potassium alum..... that's about the only difference. That said the stone I use most often on my face is an Ammonium alum Crystal brand Deodorant stone (the one that comes in the little plastic seashell dish).

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Alum block is the only deodorant I’ve used for a long time and my arms still haven’t fallen off. Works great.

Ok, so we have ammonium alum and potassium alum. Pros and cons of each? Surely there are some. Not everything is created equally.
According to Wikipedia:
"Ammonium alum is made from aluminium hydroxide, sulfuric acid and ammonium sulfate
Potassium alum dodecahydrate occurs in nature as a sulfate mineral called alum-(K)...
Potassium alum historically was mainly extracted from alunite.
Potassium alum is now produced industrially by adding potassium sulfate to a concentrated solution of aluminium sulfate.[31] The aluminium sulfate is usually obtained by treating minerals like alum schist, bauxite and cryolite with sulfuric acid.[32] If much iron should be present in the sulfate then it is preferable to use potassium chloride in place of potassium sulfate."

So yeah, back to square one. I use Lafes and Osma blocks that look like natural crystals to me .

I found that ammonium alum irritates my skin but potassium alum is perfect.
I hope that helps.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I don't get the whole alum thing. I detest the feeling anti perspirant leaves on my underarms. They are incredibly grippy and just feel wrong. That's from the aluminum. Why would you want that on your face?

And depending on who's theories/studies we subscribe to some, none or all of it is going to cause dementia for us. That truly is the great thing about studies. There are so many to choose from; we can always find one to confirm our beliefs or cite to destroy someone else's ;)

I've used both as deodorant. It may be all in my head, or just my body chemistry, but potassium alum seems to keep the stink away better than ammonium alum.

Been using potassium alum since 2006. First for shaving and then as deodorant ever since. No issues either way.
marty

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Looks like I use ammonium alum (deo stick), but just for weepers/rash. Seems to help. Then a splash of alcohol-based aftershave or a balm over it (if there's really a problem).

Actual cuts, I use a styptic pencil.

AA

I don't get the whole alum thing. I detest the feeling anti perspirant leaves on my underarms. They are incredibly grippy and just feel wrong. That's from the aluminum. Why would you want that on your face?

And depending on who's theories/studies we subscribe to some, none or all of it is going to cause dementia for us. That truly is the great thing about studies. There are so many to choose from; we can always find one to confirm our beliefs or cite to destroy someone else's ;)

The main reason I don't use alum on my face as a rule is because it's simply too crude. There are better astringents out there, like witch hazel or aloe vera that have antioxidants and are good for the skin. Alum has none of this.

On underarms it's unnoticeable and an effective preventative deodorant. Much more gentle than the stuff they put in antipersperant. I stopped using those years ago after they began causing genuine pain.

Top Bottom