What's new

Alum Blocks

I've been at this "proper" wetshaving for over a year. I prefer either a DE or a straight razor. In the past few months, I've seen more references to using an Alum Block than ever before. So my question is, why do you need it and when do you use it? What makes it important? What am I missing, if anything?

Randy

mrs. chefchris said:
Just do as your told! Buy it, use it, love it. :lol:

I don't know anything. Sorry.

Does this make you a posting who...oh, never mind. Still love the avatar!

Randy

Trust me.

Not that I'm bad looking. I'm just not a long hair-long legged girl. At the best, I'm cute. Us shorties tend to be cute. But I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

mrs. chefchris said:
Trust me.

Not that I'm bad looking. I'm just not a long hair-long legged girl. At the best, I'm cute. Us shorties tend to be cute. But I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Now we are way off topic, but I am old enough to know that beauty comes from inside. The outside "eye candy" is just a plus. And this comes from a guy who first notices the beauty of "the eyes" vs. anything else.

Randy

JoAnna,

Thanks for the link. I don't have issues with nicks or cuts, so I'm really wondering what an Alum block will do for me. I already know what pretty eyes do for me!

Randy

Hi,

don't like Alum..., for closing the pores, for me it's better to use cold-water-splash and after that an alcohol based after shave, but that's my opinion...

Thomas

Also, don't lick your lips by accident after rubbing an alum block over it this morning. I this it this morning and it made my tongue feel very wierd heheheeh... not a substitute for coffee in any sense.

I got my block last weekend and I have really enjoyed using it post shave. I don't have to worry that much about nicks, but it works well when used with Skin Food after lightly drying the face.

mrs. chefchris said:
Trust me.

Or as we say in Britain, Beauty is in the eye of the Beer Holder...

Gareth

The Alum bar isn't really for nicks or cuts... it mainly helps to reduce any irritation or razor burn. If you use it and feel nothing, then you just gave yourself one great shave! But, on most occasions, whne you use it you will feel a slight tingle on areas where you have a little irritation.

I would rank it as one my 'must-have' items.

With The Grain said:
how different from a big styptic pencil is it? I've also noticed how much these keep getting brought up lately (flavor of the month?) and was wondering what i'm misssing, my styptic stays in the cabinet 9 out of 10 shaves and i couldnt imagine wanting to use it after every shave (it also seems to curdle aftershave Balms...).

has anyone used all of: an alum bluck, styptic pencil, styptic powder, the stuff from proraso? (there was a minor craze for the proraso stuff not too long ago)

Alum isn't intended to stop bleeding, but rather to close pores and provide a mild astringent and antiseptic. If you had a little pinhole cut, the alum block would probably stop it, but most nicks require styptic.

I've been using my alum block for about two weeks now and I LOVE it. $2.99 and the thing will last forever.

BURNS LIKE HELL RANDY STAY AWAY FROM IT .........

I USE IT ON a RARE occasion when I think I cut myself too much but only on those spots other wise its BURNING all over. :mad5:

Top Bottom