What's new

Alum Blocks

What does an alum block consist of? Aluminum?

Is an alum block essentially the same as the aluminum that goes into anti-persiprants to close the pores and prevent sweating?

I could not find this answer anwhere on the web, yet...

Thanks for your help

guenron said:
Hi!
I've managed to lose this post twice, so I'll make it short.
1. Is "Alum" short for "Aluminum"??? No.
2. Does it contain trace amounts of aluminum in it? No, there is no elemental AL in alum.
Let's make it painless. Alum, a compound used by the ancients, is a hydrated crystal (contains lottsa water molecules (24 if recall) in its lattice). It also contains two "metals," one an "alkali," and the other a trivalent metal form both as sulfates. Neither of these are elemental, and as a matter of fact the alkali metal is sometimes ammoniacal sulfate. If memory serves again, the trivalent metallic is found as aluminum, chromium, iron, et al.
The styptic stick many use is typically made by dehydrating the crystal (heating to force off the lottsa water molecules) and using a binder to shape and form the resulting powder.

found my answer here, thanks for the link Mrs. CC

I just picked up an "antique" alum block that I found among some shaving stuff at a local antique/collector place. Here are some pictures of it, with direction for use and ingrediants on the box. It explains it as a afteshave to close the pores.

I decide after picking this up to give it a try too...what the heck it was sealed in the box! I gave it a good rinse and tried it after my next shave! I reallyl liekd using it and only got a mild sting in a few places from where I may have made tiny nicks...

In case you can't read the text on the box, it says:
"After shaving wash face with warm water and apply the alum block" "Active Ingredients Alum Potassium (I think, I'll have to check the box later) "average weight 4 OZ"

"Glacier Alum Block Crystal, an after shaving astringent is cool and soothing. Indispensible for minor razor cuts and tender skin. Reduces large pores.

Just for reference, I though the wikipedia write up on alum was pretty good. It mentioned the different types, deoderant stones, real alum (the kind this block is made of) shaving powder alum and stytic pencils (made of similar ingredients but is not considered alum) check out the write up! This also makes me think even more so that what I have hear people mention might work. I have heard many people say the the natural deoderant stones (available in most grocery stores) would work the same...after reading the ingredients of most of them..I thik this would be a good alternative to buying an alum bar on the net! You can pick up the deoderant stones for around 5 bucks from what I have seen at most stores... "Thai" branded deoderant stones say the use potassium alum, and I have seen them in the local whole foods, but I am sure they are available other places to! So I would look into that rather than buying it on the net!

proxy.php

Mine says

Aluminium Potassium Sulfate and did I need it > ? Oh yes today,
6 nicks and a big cut on the right cheeck my razor kinda went into a weird angle and I had lots of PSO and water on the face hands not a good combo ! the wide cut was so clean and as I felt the razor cut I immediatly raised the razor making the damage to a bare minimum, yes I saw the cut..I could spread the skin a bit but its so thin and sharply cut no blood and there will be no scar.
on the nicks .. plenty on my upper lip attacked it with the Alum.

Burn baby burn......... do we have a song like that ? :mad:

If you think Alum burns you should swab some Tendskin around your freshly shaven face...now that wll make you sing the song "Burn, Baby Burn...Tendskin Inferno!" "Sung to the tune of Disco Inferno by The Trammps, Bee Gees etc."

Top Bottom